News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I thought about that, but I went with ones that meant more to me, but could equally be held up in the greatest of conversation.

BojackHorsefella

See, outside of Aaron Boone, there aren't really many that mean much to me.

The life of a Jets fan. And the Bucs never really had that many "last minute" finishes. The Bert Emanuel game, but I wasn't a fan yet and I don't think the game ended on that play.

Could've gone with the Gary Anderson FG in the NFC Championship back when I was a young lad and a Vikings fan because I thought Cris Carter was the greatest player ever, but uh...nah.

Crewe

Boone? you have me mixed up with that Bama guy ;-)

BojackHorsefella

No no, I put Aaron Boone's HR against the Sox in the ALCS as one of mine.

thaima1shu

Quote from: Bucfever on January 17, 2018, 07:43:40 PM

The life of a Jets fan. And the Bucs never really had that many "last minute" finishes. The Bert Emanuel game, but I wasn't a fan yet and I don't think the game ended on that play.

Could've gone with the Gary Anderson FG in the NFC Championship back when I was a young lad and a Vikings fan because I thought Cris Carter was the greatest player ever, but uh...nah.

If it weren't for Pete Carroll turning the Seahawks around and providing so many awesome memories in the past 6-7 years, I'd pretty much be in the same boat for much of my lifetime when it comes to Seattle sports. The best moment in Mariners history is still an ALDS game 5 win in 1995. UW Football is on the rise but still hasn't actually won anything of note since the 2001 Rose Bowl. My NBA team was taken away.

So no matter what happens or how his time ends, I'll always be grateful for Pete Carroll lol.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 17, 2018, 08:02:44 PM
No no, I put Aaron Boone's HR against the Sox in the ALCS as one of mine.

ah, my bad, sorry

Crewe

Quote from: thaima1shu on January 17, 2018, 08:06:15 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on January 17, 2018, 07:43:40 PM

If it weren't for Pete Carroll turning the Seahawks around and providing so many awesome memories in the past 6-7 years, I'd pretty much be in the same boat for much of my lifetime when it comes to Seattle sports. The best moment in Mariners history is still an ALDS game 5 win in 1995. UW Football is on the rise but still hasn't actually won anything of note since the 2001 Rose Bowl. My NBA team was taken away.

So no matter what happens or how his time ends, I'll always be grateful for Pete Carroll lol.

Hey, try Houston lol If not for the Astros and a big run by the Cougars a while back, I have to reach all the way back to an 05 4 game sweep in which we lost for any sort of glee, then prior to that, the 94 Rockets.
I feel you and I can communicate ;-)

TheNorm

Things are pretty down for Detroit sports right now but overall I've had it pretty good. Multiple Stanley Cups and NBA Championships, a World Series championship to go with multiple playoff appearances, and my alma mater's won a few titles too. All that's missing is a Super Bowl appearance...which I (and the entire Detroit region, I'm assuming) are absolutely starved for. I want to see for the Lions what happened for the Cubs a couple of years ago: Sportscenter publishing a list of things that happened or things that hadn't been invented between championships. I've seen two out of this world players at their positions wear Lions jerseys (Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson)...but no Super Bowl ring.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

cflnut

Quote from: Bucfever on January 17, 2018, 07:14:06 PM
Also, no Flutie Boston College Hail Mary anyone?!

After watching him do that regularly in the CFL it's not that impressive.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 17, 2018, 11:17:48 PM
Things are pretty down for Detroit sports right now but overall I've had it pretty good. Multiple Stanley Cups and NBA Championships, a World Series championship to go with multiple playoff appearances, and my alma mater's won a few titles too. All that's missing is a Super Bowl appearance...which I (and the entire Detroit region, I'm assuming) are absolutely starved for. I want to see for the Lions what happened for the Cubs a couple of years ago: Sportscenter publishing a list of things that happened or things that hadn't been invented between championships. I've seen two out of this world players at their positions wear Lions jerseys (Barry Sanders and Calvin Johnson)...but no Super Bowl ring.

thats the worst part. Its amazing to me how they couldn't or wouldn't build a team around Sanders.

TheNorm

Your Top 5 for today, courtesy of Crewe: Top 5 names for plays/events in sports history. Thanks for the awesome suggestion, and if any of you have other suggestions hit my message box...or go ahead and post it.  8)

1. Miracle on Ice - What's to say? You all know the event. So here's the last minute of the game with the stellar call by Al Michaels.

2. Brawl in Hockeytown, March 26, 1997 - This fight between the Red Wings and Avalanche had been brewing since the 1996 Western Conference Final, when the Avs knocked out the heavily favored Wings. In the final game of that series, Claude Lemieux checked Kris Draper from behind into the boards, breaking his jaw. Lemieux was only suspended two games, and the Wings vowed retribution. They finally got it in their final regular season meeting. The Wings would go on to beat the Avs in this game in OT, and there's no doubt in my mind this game and the outcome ended up being the boost the Wings needed to overcome their hated rival come playoff time. Anyway, here's the footage of the big brawl, including Patrick Roy v. Mike Vernon.

3. The Thrilla in Manila, October 1, 1975 - Ali v. Frazier III, and arguably one of the most brutal heavyweight fights of them all. Two of the greatest boxers of all-time fought an incredible bout, and they did it in my parents' home country.

4. Rumble in the Jungle, October 30, 1974 - Ali v. Foreman. Boxing again, but whatever: Ali was the greatest. No one thought he could beat the undefeated George Foreman.

5. Music City Miracle, January 8, 2000 - You know how this ends.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 29, 2018, 11:14:46 AM
Your Top 5 for today, courtesy of Crewe: Top 5 names for plays/events in sports history. Thanks for the awesome suggestion, and if any of you have other suggestions hit my message box...or go ahead and post it.  8)

1. Miracle on Ice - What's to say? You all know the event. So here's the last minute of the game with the stellar call by Al Michaels.

2. Brawl in Hockeytown, March 26, 1997 - This fight between the Red Wings and Avalanche had been brewing since the 1996 Western Conference Final, when the Avs knocked out the heavily favored Wings. In the final game of that series, Claude Lemieux checked Kris Draper from behind into the boards, breaking his jaw. Lemieux was only suspended two games, and the Wings vowed retribution. They finally got it in their final regular season meeting. The Wings would go on to beat the Avs in this game in OT, and there's no doubt in my mind this game and the outcome ended up being the boost the Wings needed to overcome their hated rival come playoff time. Anyway, here's the footage of the big brawl, including Patrick Roy v. Mike Vernon.

3. The Thrilla in Manila, October 1, 1975 - Ali v. Frazier III, and arguably one of the most brutal heavyweight fights of them all. Two of the greatest boxers of all-time fought an incredible bout, and they did it in my parents' home country.

4. Rumble in the Jungle, October 30, 1974 - Ali v. Foreman. Boxing again, but whatever: Ali was the greatest. No one thought he could beat the undefeated George Foreman.

5. Music City Miracle, January 8, 2000 - You know how this ends.

the Thrilla was precisely the event that prompted the idea for this category lol
Man, that brawl in hockeytown was something else to be sure. Was it that playoff that Claude turtled?
Great choices all around

TheNorm

Heh, the 'turtling' of Claude came right in that event when McCarty kicked his ass. Oddly enough, they've done a few events and interviews together in the last few years.

As for the Thrilla in Manila, I loved reading about and seeing all the lead up to that fight as well as all the animosity built up between those two. Had to look up whether Frazier ever truly forgave Ali...I think it really depends on the day.
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2001-03-15/sports/0103150316_1_muhammad-ali-apology-verbal-abuse
https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/boxing/2016/06/04/muhammad-ali-dark-side/

Crewe

I have Ali on a pedestal, right or wrong. He was vile to Frazier and here's the but, he was a promoter. He was quick, he was witty and he was uneducated.
I dont believe he realized what his words meant to Frazier because he hated him. Frazier hated Ali, you want to hurt the guy and demoralize him and sell a fight.
That doesn't excuse it, and thats why I think Ali had sincere regrets later.
If he didnt grow as a person, he wouldn't have apologized.
This wasn't responsive to your post was it? lol oh well...

Crewe

My 5

Sunshine Showdown January 22, 1973

Foreman v Frazier.
Smokin Joe was 29-0 when he fought Big George...but you know the call by Cosell
down goes Frazier, down goes Frazier!

The shot heard round the world. October 3, 151
The Giants went 37-7 to tie finish out the season in a tie with their cross town rivals, the Dodgers. The three game playoff was tied 1-1 when Bobby Thompson came to the plate down by 2 in the bottom of the 9th and promptly launched a 3 run homer to give them a 4 run 9th and a 5-4 win.
Later, controversy surrounding the Giants sign stealing capabilities came to light. They were using a telescope from center to catch the sign then used a buzzer connected to phones in the dugout to relay the pitch. I dont know that much about it but what I recall is the Dodgers were lighthearted about it, indicating sign stealing was very common then.

the helmet catch
Wasn't this pretty boy's first SB loss?

The Holy Roller September 10, 1978
I love this one just for the playground aspect of it. Out of time, down by 6, ball on the 15 yard line. Stabler has one last shot agains the Chargers.
He's under pressure instantly, while bent over, being tackled, he "fumbles" the ball forward and Casper finds it in the end zone for the touchdown.
Was it a pass? Of course it was, but who, other than the Chargers, cares? Great thing to watch. Stabler went along with the fumble story for years but in 2008 on NFL Network he confirmed he threw it out there. "I mean what else was I gonna do with it?"  :D

I think why I love this so much is Bill Kings call. After the touchdown King is calling the scenario,"Madden is on the field, he wants to know if its real, they said yes, get your big butt outta here, he does."  LOL

here's a two minute short counting the above quote. it was a "controversial plays" countdown. Quote at 2:30

The Drive January 11, 1987
We all know it, we are all amazed. Sorry Cleveland.
ok, not really.
Elway had hurt the Oilers before so we knew this paint, but this time, we were pulling for him as Cleveland was a hated division rival.