UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by Crewe, October 01, 2018, 02:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

TheNorm

This game is f'ing gorgeous.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Alright, so tell me wants up with this and Spider Man. I hear all the glory about them, but give me a sour sports point of view. Whats wrong with them?
I read that RDR2 has mundane time consuming tasks with confusing controls, unrealistic interactions (i.e. people attack you for looking at them) and tough to learn shooting system.
Whereas Spiderman is more constant action with just as much immersion.
I feel like its going to be preference, but give me your best shot since I can only buy one game for now.
I like single player campaign games. I don't mind shorter games as long as they are really entertaining. I don't often go for 100% completion once I finish the campaign. Although I did attempt it in GTA V which I found entertaining.

TheNorm

If that's the case, the only one I can really recommend to you right now is Spider-Man since I've played RDR2 maybe a total of 3 hours. Spider-Man had a compelling story that constantly had me wanting to play more, and the side missions didn't seem too out of place and helped you also put together better suits and weapons the more you did. I'm not much on being a completionist outside of the main story either, but for Spidey I really think it's the exception. Controls took a bit to get used to and there's a learning curve there, but it's worth it. Story mode with a good chunk of the side missions completed took me about 25-30 hours, and I hear each DLC (there's 3 in total) will run about 3 hours each as well. The first one dropped last week and I love it so far because it adds new missions, the story fits right in with what happened in the main game, and it even continues a couple of threads that were unresolved in the main game.

That being said, RDR2 has shown a lot of promise for me so far as well. Feels like some of the early missions serve as a tutorial for how controls work and things to look out for, just like every other Rockstar game. I don't know much about the unrealistic interactions, but from what I've read some of that will depend on how you're perceived in the world the further along you go. That's based upon your actions in the game, which IIRC was similar to how it was in the original as well.

So if you like single player games then Spider-Man should be your easy pick (especially if Spidey is one of your favorites).
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Ive heard that while a few folks complain about things early on in RDR2, others point out they were still in tutorial type mode which is what you suggest.
The more I read, it sounds like complaints until you just get used to it, i.e, intending to talk to someone but you shoot them instead because of the unusual button mapping.

SM sounds like a good start too.
Thanks for the input norm, I really appreciate it.

TheNorm

No problem! You really can't go wrong with either one, but with it being early for RDR2 play time for me so far, my personal preference is Spidey because that game had me hooked and wanting to play more. It's increasingly rare the moments when I'll continue playing a game and just ignore how early I need to get up the next morning, but Spider-Man had me doing exactly that on more than one occasion.
I think RDR2 could have that same effect, but still too early in the game for me to tell.

Crewe

I think you're right. But Im back in the middle now, weighing RDR2 again lol

TheNorm

TheNorm

This game, like Spider-Man, takes some really good photos. I have to load the ones I took in both games and post them, I lucked out on one yesterday.

The depth in this game is amazing.

BojackHorsefella

I uh..............I'm likely buying this in a week or two...........

Also looking at that 1TB PS4 everyone has for sale Black Friday. I'm constantly having to delete stuff off my 500GB PS4 (which has also contributed to my RDR trepidation).

Target has a nice door stopper bundle with that PS4 and Spider-Man for $200, but Gamestop has the same $199 but with a $50 gift card instead of Spider-Man, and it's not a door buster. So if I'm lucky maybe I can get it online. Wonder how early I'd have to order online out here on the west coast, if I could even do it at 9 PM.....

Crewe

Ive still got...I don't even know which one, but one of the really old PS4's. I kept thinking I should get one of these bundles but then I think...why? lol
For my whopping two games a year?

BojackHorsefella

I like to browse the PS store for any cheap indie games. Used to use Steam, but no gaming PC these days. So the extra space would be nice.

TheNorm

I bought a 1TB external drive a little over a year ago that has helped out quite nicely as far as space goes. Absolute must buy IMO.

TheNorm

TheNorm

Came across this in the game today...if I could replay this moment over and over with different ways of doing them in I totally would.  8)

Spoiler