News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Do You Remember.....

Started by BojackHorsefella, September 18, 2018, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on March 14, 2019, 03:59:45 PM
I just looked back to see what the topic actually was and to see I hijacked buc's simple observation with an Axis and Allies comment that devolved lol
Sorry man.  :D

I'd love to say this is the first time an off-hand response by me escalated into, well, more, but...it isn't. :(

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on March 14, 2019, 01:11:31 PM
Quote from: Rigg44 on March 14, 2019, 12:49:58 PM
No one is being routinely shot, hung, kept from owning property, or being overtly kept "down" on a mass scale. If you refuse to see that the needle has moved further and further towards equality over the years and decades then it is you in need of a reality check.  Racism exists but it is limited to small groups or hidden individuals.  It will always be with us but it no longer rules us. I was avoiding being rude but you seem to not have a problem with it so. 

So, firstly, you still have yet to give any definitive proof that Omar is anti-semtiic, so, keep telling me I'm the one being emotional.

No one is being kept down? Did you not see how an oil company was given domain over Native Americans at Standing Rock, who were attacked on THEIR land by our own police force? Have you not seen the BLM protests as continuously, we have seen police forces abuse their force against black men and black children (TAMIR RICE?!) and face 0 consequences for it.

Have you not seen the wealth inequality in this country that DISPROPORTIONATELY affects minorities?

Have you not seen Flint, Michigan, WHICH STILL DOES NOT HAVE CLEAN WATER and yet nobody in our government seems to care?

Have you not seen how North Carolina GOP just tried to rob an election using voter fraud tactics aimed against minorities?

Have you not seen how GEORGIA used similar tactics and got away with it, while Brian Kemp had a conflict of interest running for Governor while secretary of state?

Have you not seen how multiple states have attempted to institute voter ID laws which have beenproven as racially biased?

Gerrymandering? Asset forfeiture that indescriminately targets minorities?

We have children dying in cages, separated, without reason, from their parents who were deported, some adopted out with no hope of being reunited because our government couldn't bother to keep track of everything it was doing.

Racism is institutional, sir, and it is enforced at the county, state and national levels in a great degree, and that is the point. If you want to blind yourself to the injustices that have been created, not by the people, but by the political, educational, and economic systems of this country, that is YOUR issue. You say I've been rude, I haven't. I have leveled no insults or ad hominem attacks on you. But, if what I'm engaging in is "emotional," what you're engaging in is simply willful ignorance to the truth.

There are frequent injustices committed by the institutions that run this country, daily, against minorities, against women. So, sure, we don't separate drinking fountains or bathrooms these days, great. No, we've found methods now that aren't in the open, but are equally impacting, and we elected a president who's further seen to that.

If racism is a minority thing, then by god the majority has failed to defend against it, which makes them complicit.

I will not list Omar's tweets that I and others find to be Anti Semitic because you will just look at them and say they are not, so there is no point.  However is it not the accepted standard among liberals and the Dems that if one person finds it offensive then it is?    If you can not see the rudeness in your tenor and tone then that is on YOU as you are fond of saying.  I did not intend to imply that there is no one ever held back or kept down by racism.  There are of course people who achieve power that should not and therefore there are going to be individuals in the world that suffer the effects of racism at their hands.  That is true today and it will be true tomorrow.  However, it is you that is delusional if you believe it to be on the same level of the past or even, laughably, worse than it was.  I don't think any minority would want to change places with someone of their background from the 60's or 50's.  There is a more ethnically diverse congress now than there ever has been (http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/24/115th-congress-sets-new-high-for-racial-ethnic-diversity/). College enrollment rates for minorities are increasing (https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/pdf/coe_cpb.pdf).  Minorities are also achieving the degree sought at a higher rate than ever, still trailing their white counterparts but not by the large gap it once was (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2016/06/27/1-demographic-trends-and-economic-well-being/st_2016-06-27_race-inequality-ch1-02/).  Not to mention record low unemployment numbers for all minorities currently.  All of these point to what I have been saying.  There is no systemic racism.  If there were these things would not be true.  Just as the election of Obama negates the theory that Trump's election proves systemic racism.  millions of the same people that elected Obama turned around and voted for Trump.  So if there is some grand conspiracy to keep minorities down, whoever is running is very bad at their job. 

As far as wealth distribution, I don't see it is a racial matter.  It is true that some struggle because they start less entitled than others.  That, however, is not a race issue its a circumstance issue.  I spent most of my life as poor white trailer trash. Five kids one bedroom in a single wide trailer.  I worked three jobs and busted my ass to change my fortune.  That being said I believe in ladders to success, programs to assist kids that start out behind the eightball to achieve their dreams.  I don't support punishing those that have already achieved theirs already or trying to guarantee outcomes. I am always for making sure everyone has equal access to an opportunity to success.   

BojackHorsefella

It's amazing how you contradict yourself multiple times in there.

I'd love to hear, by the way, if your stance regarding white extremism has changed, considering recent events, or if you still think they're just a minority and not a threat. I'm sure you think it's fine, though.

Quite frankly, Rigg, I find your responses in this thread revealing, as I have said, of a willful ignorance. You say things are better than the 50s and 60s, great, that does not mean they are good, and that's a really, REALLY low bar to clear. It's like me going from getting kicked in the nuts everyday to getting kicked in the shins instead. Oh, great! Yeah, it improved, but I'm still in pain.

Also, anyone who thought the election of Obama meant the end of racism, especially how that turned out (Like, say, the guy who just created a rumor that our black president was born in Kenya and created an entire movement out of the lie becoming our very next president), is an idiot. BLM started while Obama was in office. Palin sunk McCain, and no one liked Romney. It's not that hard to understand why Obama got elected in spite of the color of his skin. Also, note that, Obama had to go to one of the very best universities, had to serve his time in government, to make it to the presidency, whereas our current president was a reality show star with 0 aptitude for law, filled with xenophobic hate and bile, and displays his ignorance on so many subjects everyday. That's racial bias in a nutshell, and that's white privilege in a nutshell, but I'm sure you also don't think that exists either.

Anyways, look, I said agree to disagree before ,you didn't take it, but I'm ending this now, because this is going nowhere on either side, and if you don't want to accept reality, that's a you problem. People are dying every day because of this shit, and we can continue to ignore it and be complicit because we don't want to feel like we're the bad guys, or we can address it. You've chosen what you prefer.

Rigg44

Quote from: Bucfever on March 15, 2019, 11:42:08 AM
It's amazing how you contradict yourself multiple times in there.

I'd love to hear, by the way, if your stance regarding white extremism has changed, considering recent events, or if you still think they're just a minority and not a threat. I'm sure you think it's fine, though.

Quite frankly, Rigg, I find your responses in this thread revealing, as I have said, of a willful ignorance. You say things are better than the 50s and 60s, great, that does not mean they are good, and that's a really, REALLY low bar to clear. It's like me going from getting kicked in the nuts everyday to getting kicked in the shins instead. Oh, great! Yeah, it improved, but I'm still in pain.

Also, anyone who thought the election of Obama meant the end of racism, especially how that turned out (Like, say, the guy who just created a rumor that our black president was born in Kenya and created an entire movement out of the lie becoming our very next president), is an idiot. BLM started while Obama was in office. Palin sunk McCain, and no one liked Romney. It's not that hard to understand why Obama got elected in spite of the color of his skin. Also, note that, Obama had to go to one of the very best universities, had to serve his time in government, to make it to the presidency, whereas our current president was a reality show star with 0 aptitude for law, filled with xenophobic hate and bile, and displays his ignorance on so many subjects everyday. That's racial bias in a nutshell, and that's white privilege in a nutshell, but I'm sure you also don't think that exists either.

Anyways, look, I said agree to disagree before ,you didn't take it, but I'm ending this now, because this is going nowhere on either side, and if you don't want to accept reality, that's a you problem. People are dying every day because of this shit, and we can continue to ignore it and be complicit because we don't want to feel like we're the bad guys, or we can address it. You've chosen what you prefer.

LOL ok.  What exactly did you find illuminating?  I never contradicted myself but to each their own.  We can agree to disagree that's fine but the numbers are on my side.  I only brought up the 50 and 60's because you speak as if it is worse now that it has ever been, which is absurd.  As I showed minorities are succeeding now more than ever so like I said those Illuminati racist must be horrible at their jobs.  And there is absolutely no way that a true Racist would have voted for Obama so there is no plausible scenario that supports that theory.   

Crewe

Crewe

Do you remember when there was nothing to do at the red lights but watch people, or cycle through the radio stations two or three times?

Crewe

Anyone old enough to remember what everyday life was like prior to cell phones?
I was videotaping homes for a Realty TV show and had to communicate with realtors all day long to schedule appointments to record their properties.
Always had change for the pay phones and always had a Key Map book plus a scheduling day planner full of all kinds of business cards and other related crapola.
Mobile phones were starting to become ubiquitous with certain professions; doctors, lawyers, realtors and the like, but I remember my first one. It was so very cool and so very expensive! I mean it was outrageous and coverage was spotty so you kinda had to know where to be to make the call, but still was pretty awesome. And then, years later, phones came out that would have a game on it...like brick town or whatever it was....but it was akin to Pong in the 70s, very generic but it was addicting, and fun.
It's interesting for me to think of how I progressed through daily life over time. Phone calls in the car overtook the radio. All my documents were in my phone alleviating the need to carry anything. Hell, now I don't even carry a wallet and haven't for years and years. Everything is in my phone.
On my job during depositions, I would have to cram all my business in to a 5 minute phone call to my scheduling department all while trying to get the bathroom and back before everyone was ready to start proceedings again.
Now? I can do anything at all business relate via my phone or laptop, all while on the record.
Pretty amazing to me when I think about it.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on June 25, 2019, 03:05:41 PM
Anyone old enough to remember what everyday life was like prior to cell phones?
I was videotaping homes for a Realty TV show and had to communicate with realtors all day long to schedule appointments to record their properties.
Always had change for the pay phones and always had a Key Map book plus a scheduling day planner full of all kinds of business cards and other related crapola.
Mobile phones were starting to become ubiquitous with certain professions; doctors, lawyers, realtors and the like, but I remember my first one. It was so very cool and so very expensive! I mean it was outrageous and coverage was spotty so you kinda had to know where to be to make the call, but still was pretty awesome. And then, years later, phones came out that would have a game on it...like brick town or whatever it was....but it was akin to Pong in the 70s, very generic but it was addicting, and fun.
It's interesting for me to think of how I progressed through daily life over time. Phone calls in the car overtook the radio. All my documents were in my phone alleviating the need to carry anything. Hell, now I don't even carry a wallet and haven't for years and years. Everything is in my phone.
On my job during depositions, I would have to cram all my business in to a 5 minute phone call to my scheduling department all while trying to get the bathroom and back before everyone was ready to start proceedings again.
Now? I can do anything at all business relate via my phone or laptop, all while on the record.
Pretty amazing to me when I think about it.

I got my first cell phone in high school. Nokia, with Suncom. It had Snake on it. That was fun.

This is something I often think about. I could navigate a map if I had to, although it's obviously nowhere near as convenient as just plugging a destination into the GPS on my phone (not too mention all of the missed turns. ALL OF THE MISSED TURNS). I suppose you could have bought GPS devices back in the day too, but for the cost, it was likely just easier to use a map or, even in the internet but pre-cellphone years: printing out directions from Mapquest.

I still carry a wallet because I plain refuse to use Google Pay or any of those options. What I don't have is a checkbook, however, I do have a checkbook app and that's how I keep track of my finances (banking apps take too long to update and heaven forbid you leave a tip when you eat out, that's going to take 4-5 days to show properly).

I remember calling friends on their house phones and having to talk to their mom or dad first before talking to them ("Can LT come to the phone?"). Pretty sure kiddo just calls his friends directly now.

Videotaping, yeah. Even trips to Disney, the quickest memory is just my dad lugging this giant, over the shoulder home video camera to record our trips on VHS (still remember him getting yelled at for having the camera on during the E.T. ride at Universal). Now everyone just uses their phones, zoom length be damned.

I've been listening to local radio again lately. I'm a little tired of being able to just cater certain aspects of my life to myself (although, admittedly, I found a podcast recently about the first century of Hollywood and I love it). It's nice, keeps me abreast of some local happenings, although the music still hasn't changed very much. Still, it's nice to listen to songs I wouldn't otherwise listen to if I was just playing my own Pandora stations or something.

TheNorm

Heh, yep-and it's funny to me to think that we got along just fine without all of it.

Didn't get my first cellphone until college, and it was the bag phone for the car lol. Then for some reason (probably because I thought it looked cool haha; a third of the time people would see I had a pager and asked if I was dealing) I turned that into an excuse to have a pager a year or two later; maybe because using a mobile phone was so damn expensive at the time it was just a way to filter out what calls needed to be handled now (almost none of them) or could wait until I got to work/home/school.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 25, 2019, 04:07:37 PM
This is something I often think about. I could navigate a map if I had to, although it's obviously nowhere near as convenient as just plugging a destination into the GPS on my phone (not too mention all of the missed turns. ALL OF THE MISSED TURNS). I suppose you could have bought GPS devices back in the day too, but for the cost, it was likely just easier to use a map or, even in the internet but pre-cellphone years: printing out directions from Mapquest.

I had to become adept at navigation, but really most of my jobs required it throughout my life so its second nature, or was back then.
There were those nav systems like Tom Tom and all that but I never bought into it because it was way overpriced IMO. I used to giggle at people coming to a job late saying "Mapquest sent me the wrong route." In its infancy internet maps were a nightmare. I just wondered, why not look at a map?

I still carry a wallet because I plain refuse to use Google Pay or any of those options. What I don't have is a checkbook, however, I do have a checkbook app and that's how I keep track of my finances (banking apps take too long to update and heaven forbid you leave a tip when you eat out, that's going to take 4-5 days to show properly).

I agree, and wansnt clear. I have one of those slim wallet cases that holds my cards and licenses so yea, no wallet.

I remember calling friends on their house phones and having to talk to their mom or dad first before talking to them ("Can LT come to the phone?"). Pretty sure kiddo just calls his friends directly now.

I thought it was pretty common for kids to have their own phone line by then? maybe a misconception by me.

Videotaping, yeah. Even trips to Disney, the quickest memory is just my dad lugging this giant, over the shoulder home video camera to record our trips on VHS (still remember him getting yelled at for having the camera on during the E.T. ride at Universal). Now everyone just uses their phones, zoom length be damned.

Pretty much. I love the technology as a regular fella. As a videographer in potentially declining industry, I hate that the line between professional and consumer has become so blurred in the last decade or two because I need the work.

I've been listening to local radio again lately. I'm a little tired of being able to just cater certain aspects of my life to myself (although, admittedly, I found a podcast recently about the first century of Hollywood and I love it). It's nice, keeps me abreast of some local happenings, although the music still hasn't changed very much. Still, it's nice to listen to songs I wouldn't otherwise listen to if I was just playing my own Pandora stations or something.

I still can't listen to anything not selected by me. Thats just my old man thing I guess, but too much of the material sucks and Im seeking something else on a near constant basis

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 25, 2019, 04:54:26 PM
Heh, yep-and it's funny to me to think that we got along just fine without all of it.

Didn't get my first cellphone until college, and it was the bag phone for the car lol. Then for some reason (probably because I thought it looked cool haha; a third of the time people would see I had a pager and asked if I was dealing) I turned that into an excuse to have a pager a year or two later; maybe because using a mobile phone was so damn expensive at the time it was just a way to filter out what calls needed to be handled now (almost none of them) or could wait until I got to work/home/school.

10-4! We stayed on pagers for quite a while during the cell phone era. They were just reliable and since you could send text and email, it was still reasonable to have one despite appearances.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on June 25, 2019, 04:56:15 PM
I thought it was pretty common for kids to have their own phone line by then? maybe a misconception by me.

Well, I guess I was unlucky, haha.

It was a more common thing for sure by the 90s, not too mention having a phone in your room. But I suppose my parents didn't want the extra expense of paying for a second phone number, so nope, my brother and I and all of my friends (and I assume his), you had to go through the parents first.

TheNorm

Heh, I remember when call waiting was a luxury to be added on. When my parents finally added it on (back in 87, 88 maybe?), felt like the Jeffersons lol. They probably just got tired of my sister and I tying up the line. Second line was unheard of until the parents got a computer in the mid-90s and figured it was easier to have a line strictly for the dial up. Learned early on though how to properly talk on the phone, which I think those growing up now don't pick that up as a skill since texting is preferred.

I feel the same way though, I'd rather text now and I try to avoid talking on the phone at all costs.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 26, 2019, 12:14:01 AM
Heh, I remember when call waiting was a luxury to be added on. When my parents finally added it on (back in 87, 88 maybe?), felt like the Jeffersons lol. They probably just got tired of my sister and I tying up the line. Second line was unheard of until the parents got a computer in the mid-90s and figured it was easier to have a line strictly for the dial up. Learned early on though how to properly talk on the phone, which I think those growing up now don't pick that up as a skill since texting is preferred.

I feel the same way though, I'd rather text now and I try to avoid talking on the phone at all costs.

Not once have I been able to have a meaningful conversation via text. its fine for when and where type stuff and one liners, but Ive been in trouble more than once because all tone and intent is lost in translation and the next thing you know you're arguing on the internet, basically lol