News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Retro Arcade Gaming Thread

Started by TheNorm, June 20, 2019, 12:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

What compels this thread? Well...Time Pilot.

So anyway, I've been searching for this game for a long time and Chicago does have a bunch of Barcades in the area. None of them, however, had a Time Pilot machine, and that is one of my all-time favorite arcade games. Just hadn't been lucky enough to find it...until yesterday.

Turns out the PS Store finally released a port of that game around the middle of April and I didn't know it until then. $7.99 well spent. :) Add that to my classics on the PS4, along with Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, and Double Dragon II. Mat Mania is another one from the 80s I loved dumping quarters into, and may pull the trigger on eventually.

What were some of your favorites growing up and on your wish list to see?
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on June 20, 2019, 12:58:27 PM

Growing up? Jeez

X-Men, Ninja Turtles, the Simpsons arcade game are immediately the big 3 that come to mind. My brother and I had DigDug on our PC and used to play it all the time too.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 20, 2019, 12:58:27 PM
What compels this thread? Well...Time Pilot.

So anyway, I've been searching for this game for a long time and Chicago does have a bunch of Barcades in the area. None of them, however, had a Time Pilot machine, and that is one of my all-time favorite arcade games. Just hadn't been lucky enough to find it...until yesterday.

Turns out the PS Store finally released a port of that game around the middle of April and I didn't know it until then. $7.99 well spent. :) Add that to my classics on the PS4, along with Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga, and Double Dragon II. Mat Mania is another one from the 80s I loved dumping quarters into, and may pull the trigger on eventually.

LOL and here I thought I was the only one!!
That was the game where the ref's count was, one, two, threeeeeeeeee! wasn't it? lol
Man, I was an arcade junkie growing up. It was go kart tracks and arcades and I ruled them all with an iron fist ;-)
I was seriously adept at gaming back when. Had the Madden tournament been a few years earlier, I have no doubt I could've performed well.

In any event, Asteroids, Defender, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Track & Field, whatever that two player karate game was, Missile Command, Dragon's Lair...I guess Ill stop there ;-)

Rigg44

Kung Fu Master
Puch out
Mat Mania
Ring King
X-Men
Joust
Defender
All American Football
And although technically not an arcade game, Air Hockey

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on June 21, 2019, 11:00:02 AM
Kung Fu Master
Puch out
Mat Mania
Ring King
X-Men
Joust
Defender
All American Football

Yes!

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on June 20, 2019, 01:12:55 PM

Growing up? Jeez

X-Men, Ninja Turtles, the Simpsons arcade game are immediately the big 3 that come to mind. My brother and I had DigDug on our PC and used to play it all the time too.

Good ones! ...and IIRC both TMNT and the Simpsons Arcade Game are in the PSN Store. Were for PS3 anyway.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on June 20, 2019, 02:10:10 PM

That was the game where the ref's count was, one, two, threeeeeeeeee! wasn't it? lol
Man, I was an arcade junkie growing up. It was go kart tracks and arcades and I ruled them all with an iron fist ;-)
I was seriously adept at gaming back when. Had the Madden tournament been a few years earlier, I have no doubt I could've performed well.

In any event, Asteroids, Defender, Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Track & Field, whatever that two player karate game was, Missile Command, Dragon's Lair...I guess Ill stop there ;-)

That's the one! The main character was a Macho Man Savage looking dude, it was great. But damn those matches got difficult the further you advanced lol...think my quarter made it to the 4th match maybe once.

You thinking of Karate Champ? Loved that one too! You listed off some good ones...always made sure to have a pencil handy for Track & Field haha.  ;)

TheNorm

Quote from: Rigg44 on June 21, 2019, 11:00:02 AM
Kung Fu Master
Puch out
Mat Mania
Ring King
X-Men
Joust
Defender
All American Football

Absolutely sucked at the arcade version of Punch Out lol. Think I beat the second guy (Piston Hurricane?) maybe once.
And no offense, but I'd whoop all y'all in Air Hockey. ;)

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 21, 2019, 07:01:37 PM
Quote from: Crewe on June 20, 2019, 02:10:10 PM

That's the one! The main character was a Macho Man Savage looking dude, it was great. But damn those matches got difficult the further you advanced lol...think my quarter made it to the 4th match maybe once.

You thinking of Karate Champ? Loved that one too! You listed off some good ones...always made sure to have a pencil handy for Track & Field haha;)

Yes and yes!!  LOL

TheNorm

Karate Champ and Track & Field ate a ton of my quarters. They were both at the party store down the street from me where I grew up, and I spent plenty of time there. Was bummed when they took those two out until I decided to give the game they replaced it with a try...Mat Mania.

Crewe

lol I could only get mat mania at an arcade for some reason. So it ate up a ton of my coins. T & F and karate champ were at the local Stop n Go, so, there I was....

BojackHorsefella

Oh god, how did I forget: Rampage World Tour.

One year, we went to Disney, and my parents sprang for us to stay at the Wilderness Lodge. They had an arcade room. I can't tell you how many quarters my brother and I spent playing this together each night, but, as a parent now, I'd probably not allow my kid to spend the same amount.

TheNorm

Rampage was awesome!

Some others I forgot to mention: Robotron 2084, Tempest...and once arcades had a bit of a resurgence in the late 80s/early 90s thanks to games like Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, and T2: The Arcade Game.

Speaking of T2, the pinball machine took a lot of my quarters too (along with Star Trek: The Next Generation).

rollntider

Mat mania still top 5 game of all time

TheNorm

Downloaded Atari Flashback Classics Vol. 2 today because I really wanted to play Missile Command...and that's because I started reading 8-Bit Apocalypse, the story behind the game.

I still suck at it lol. Better at the 2600 version of it, which is also included.