UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 days of movies challenge

Started by Crewe, March 08, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

Day 7
A film that represents a genre you don't normally like

Momento  - I usually dont like movies that go out of order, (pulp fiction gets an exception also) but I loved momento. I was confused most of the way then it hit and was fun.

rollntider

Day 8
Your favorite "based on a true story" film

They say the wolf of wallstreet was a true story, I bet it was embellished like hell. But I enjoyed it.

cflnut

Day 8

The Bridge on the River Kwai. There are several others that I could have picked But this is one of my favorites by far. Alec Guinness gives a masterful performance in this, especially in the end when he realizes that he has been committing treason by collaborating with the enemy.

Honorable mention to A Bridge Too Far & Schindler's List. Both of which are very good shows in their own right.

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

BojackHorsefella

Day 8

Man on the Moon. I've loved this movie since it came out (and enjoyed the behind the scenes footage in the "Jim and Andy" Netflix documentary, even if the interview parts with Jim Carrey were a bit pretentious even by my standards). I always wonder if, growing up at the time Andy Kaufman was around, if I would have been on his side or against it, especially not knowing if it was all a joke.

Crewe

Man, good suggestions all the way around.
Tider, I think it was fairly accurate in substance although it fudged the timeline as was necessary.
Bridge over the River Kwai, my uncle got me in to that one, was one of his faves too.
Man on the Moon was fantastic, but follow it up with Jim and Andy, the Netflix doc. I was well into Kaufman growing up; the Taxi sitcom and especially the wrestling, damn was that fun. The great thing was, as you mentioned he would do anything as long as it was funny to him. Didnt mater who else got it.
When he wanted to film a part of his special so that the TV audience would think their vertical hold was off was freakin brilliant.

TheNorm

Day 8

Besides Star Wars?  :P

So many good ones to choose from, but I think I'll go with probably my favorite sports movie of all: Miracle. Kurt Russell did one hell of a job as Herb Brooks.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on March 15, 2018, 11:26:18 PM
Day 8

Besides Star Wars?  :P

you mean its not a true story? LOL Glad I was not drinking a drink when i read that or i would have spit it everywhere

Crewe

Day 9
Your most oft quoted movie

I realize this may be a problem for many of you, as it is for me as well.
For me, the grandaddy of them all, Caddyshack

BojackHorsefella

Day 9

Hm....there's probably a few that could get this title, but I honestly think my #1 is probably Ghostbusters.

rollntider

its between Pulp Fiction , Oh Brother where art thou, or Big Lebowski....

usually a quote pops up daily at work.

"That is a tasty burger"

"Allow me to retort"

"You sold your soul?"
"Well I wasn't using it"

"I'm a dapper dan man myself"

"THis is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps" (TV edit version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCcKBcZzGdA

cflnut

Day 9

Back in high school football, I played DB, whenever we were in press coverage I'd always go Dirty Harry the WR I was covering "Do you feel lucky?' Well do ya, punk?"
It would almost always throw them off their game.

TheNorm

Day 9

Tough one, no doubt...so many I could choose from that are almost always near the top for me. But I'm gonna have to go with one of Bruce Campbell's best...Army of Darkness.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I cannot believe I didnt see Christmas Vacation on here. It was between that one and Caddyshack for me.

Day 10
Favorite western

Unforgiven for me.
That was the first film I remember that examined the idea of actually killing a man, deserving or not.
This film deconstructed the myths of the west. Hackman's character delved into the reality of the quick draw and the ability to shoot someone farther than 10 feet away (especially if the sonofoabitch is shooting back atcha...that'll flat rattle some folks)
And the fact that alcohol was as responsible for creating killers as anything, the yellow journalist that create the legends and so on.
Eastwood created the spaghetti western and he dissolved it as well. Such a masterful flick, not to mention, top notch acting and directing.
Even re watched this not long ago, still holds up.
I have other front runners but Ill wait to see if anyone else chooses them.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I thought about Vacation and Xmas Vacation. Honestly, it was a tossup between those and Ghostbusters (I use the "nice shooting Tex!" line way too much)

Day 10

This is interesting for me because I never really got into westerns. The classics never interested me (I think Unforgiven may be the only Eastwood western I've seen) and most of the modern ones just don't reach that level.

So, this one's a bit of a tossup for me. I enjoyed the Bale and Crowe 3:10 to Yuma and the Coen Brothers True Grit.

But, if I'm honest, I think I have to go with John Wayne's The Searchers. Because honestly, what western truly tops that final scene?

cflnut

Day 10
Favorite Western

Since Unforgiven and The Searchers have already been taken. I'll go with Mclintock. John Wayne in a comedy western that actually is rather funny.