News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

MLB The Show 18

Started by BojackHorsefella, March 09, 2018, 06:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEk6ranoHQ

I've pretty much already decided to buy this since I skipped 17, which seems like a good idea because all the new gameplay and presentation stuff has sounded great. They finally revealed the new RTTS enhancements and I'm still good to go.

The fun part was the guy saying "in past years, you'd have good at bats and by the end of the game you'd have 600, 1000 points to just put in whatever stat." HAHAHAHAHAHA, I wish that had ever happened.

Crewe

Cant watch this, at work right now and Im not up on what changes there are, but for years Ive been lobbying for RTTS to:
Limit what attributes you can increase. Speed, throw strength, to a degree, hit power among others do not increase over a players career. Certainly not at such drastic rates. Some attributes should be static.
Most increases should take place in the minors and the first years in the show. Its just far to easy to gather points and have a 99 over guy in no time. I have tens of thousands of points stockpiled because I just dont want to contribute to attributes.
Also, need to easily access a catchers ability to throw runners out. When on base, guys know what kind of catcher they are up against.
Theres more but thats enough for now, will watch later

BojackHorsefella

Sure you didn't? Because all that you just said, they actually did (the catcher thing is addressed in the general gameplay enhancements video, which is not this one. But the rest...you actually nailed it).

Crewe

Lol no kidding? 😎
No need to watch it now, heh

BojackHorsefella

Pre-ordered the MVP edition from Gamestop which apparently means I get to pick it up tomorrow. Sweet.

BojackHorsefella

Time to see what this baby's got.

Crewe

I was going to pre order, but found a deal for 20% off that excludes pre orders so Ill hang back.
lemme know what you think.

TheNorm

I'll get this eventually but not right now.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

So what's the verdict so far from anyone that has it?
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I only play RTTS and haven't played that much yet. That said, no sweeping changes Ive noticed, but Im also just getting into the swing of things again.
So far, Ive only imported my 2nd year catcher. I was thinking of starting again just to see how soon players get called up. Thats still a pet peeve of mine.
My guy sucks, hitting .185 and up still a big league catcher with only a year in the minors.
I really want to finish off my 10 year guy this version but I dont play as frequently so we will s ee how that plays out.
The imported audio files (music etc...) seems to play at a lower level which is disconcerting.
Since everyone and their neighbor avoids the timing analog swing except me, Im trying out the other option.

BojackHorsefella

I'm loving it. I've created a RF and a CP in RTTS who are my mains, and then I do have a 3B and a SP but they don't get played as much. The RF is me. The other ones are all...deformed.

Anyways, I haven't put the game down. I'm in year 2 with my RF, he's the only one who's been called up to AAA so far. My CP made the AA all-star team and has led AA for all closers, but still hasn't gotten called up (he's on the Mets, the RF is on the Pirates, for whatever that may be worth). The other two I haven't played enough.

I use the timed analog swings and I DON'T use Guess the Pitch. My RF typically hovers around .300 swinging that way, depending on which way he's streaking at that time. Sometimes I get up to .340, sometimes I get down to .240, but usually it's close to or above .300. I realized on 16 I was ALWAYS pulling back on the analog stick, because I thought you had to, but evidently that's how you power swing. Just flicking the analog stick forward is a normal swing. Made a huge difference.

I think not using Guess the Pitch has also helped. I think the penalties for guessing wrong were just too much.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on April 11, 2018, 12:38:58 PM
I realized on 16 I was ALWAYS pulling back on the analog stick, because I thought you had to, but evidently that's how you power swing. Just flicking the analog stick forward is a normal swing. Made a huge difference.

huh? Interesting, Ill have to remember that next time I fire it up because thats how I play. Im trying out the button swing but you use the coverage indicator to follow the ball, cant recall the proper gaming term lol I like timing better because it just seems tone more of a true representation of an AB for me.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah. I'm still not entirely sure about aiming, because sometimes I'll have good timing but I'll swing over the ball. I don't know if that's a ratings thing, since my plate vision is still a lower number since I'm only in year two, or if there's something else I should be doing.

But, I can't really argue with the results I've been having, so I ignore it. I'm basically Aaron Judge, I hover around .300, I knock one into the stands every now and again, and I strikeout a bit more than I'd like to.

Crewe

wait, Im confused. When I say timing, I mean pure analog. Use the right stick, but you have to pull back to start stride and then forward to swing.
The one I was trying out was zone hitting where you use the right stick to place the zone around the ball and use the button to swing.
oh FYI if it applies to anyone as it dos me. I just tried importing my ten year guy and it wouldn't let me, stating I hadn't progressed one calendar year in the 17 version. Luckily I still have 17 so I can do it if I desire but just a heads up

BojackHorsefella

Oh, ok. Yeah, I use Pure Analog, but you don't actually have to pull BACK on the stick. That's only if you WANT to power swing, which I didn't know when I was playing 16 (again, I skipped 17).

If you just push the stick forward when you time your hit, that's a "normal swing." If you push the stick left or right that's a "contact swing." I pretty much never use that.