News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Life Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, May 14, 2018, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on March 14, 2020, 10:19:10 AM
People tend to panic when there is a leadership void at the top. That's all I have to say about that for now.

As for being on the frontline of this thing? I knew what I signed up for when I went into nursing. Just gotta do my job diligently and hope everyone else does the same. I'm not particularly worried about me if I run into this (with how this has been handled up to now, it's quite probable)...it's the at risk people I run into, the little preemies we take care of, and yes, I'm worried about my parents too. One meme I saw was pretty relatable: being a nurse during this is kind of like being one of the musicians on the Titanic. Chaos all around and we're sinking, but we play on.

Whatever it takes...always forward. Look out for each other. Limit your social contacts for now, if you can. Stop hoarding toilet paper ya wankers. If you see some asshole confronting an Asian family because they somehow think they're at fault for this virus spreading, call 'em out (I've seen stories of this type of shit happening already, and the first one foolish enough to come at me with that mess is catching hands).

AND WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS.

I was actually thinking about you the other day norm. You and your brethren are appreciated, please know that. And take care of yourself...well, I know you will.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on March 14, 2020, 12:53:39 PM
Yeah, co-worker texted me the other day saying he was having symptoms. He has diabetes, but apparently they still told him he's too healthy to get a test.

I feel fine, but now I'm doing the playing it safe thing and staying in so I don't spread it to anyone who can't handle it. I'm 32, no pre-existing conditions and have health insurance. If I do have it and it gets bad, that just means I get to use my sick days, so I'm not too concerned for myself. Rather get it BEFORE my wedding and honeymoon in April anyway.

If only more thought like you.
I had to be at the airport here with traveling lawyers for a job and always deal with guys in and out of town in high traffic locales. I hope I dont contract it because if I do, Im fucked. Absolutely in the worst shape of my life, not a dime to my name and no insurance.
I guess the good news is Ill pretty much be at home now. the bad news is thats because all my jobs are cancelling.

Crewe

So aside from norm, anyone else working?

BojackHorsefella

I'm at Microsoft, so yeah. WFH is recommended and approved, although coming into the office is still allowed. I was going into the office still, until a coworker on my team mentioned he'd started having symptoms, so I've been WFH since Friday. Last update was suggested to continue WFH until April 7.

Autumn's WFH for the Gates Foundation too, but with their office closed and so many of the organizations they work with (well, that her team works with) temporarily shutting down, she doesn't have nearly the workload she used to.

Rigg44

Well since I am a hospital Administrator, yep you could say I am working lol.  Spent the last month or so really gearing up for a storm we hope either never comes or is milder than expected.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on March 18, 2020, 03:25:29 PM
I'm at Microsoft, so yeah. WFH is recommended and approved, although coming into the office is still allowed. I was going into the office still, until a coworker on my team mentioned he'd started having symptoms, so I've been WFH since Friday. Last update was suggested to continue WFH until April 7.

Autumn's WFH for the Gates Foundation too, but with their office closed and so many of the organizations they work with (well, that her team works with) temporarily shutting down, she doesn't have nearly the workload she used to.

man, Im glad you have that option. I was reading about how many people work from home nowadays. I wish I could change to a career that would allow that, but at my age, Im probably done.

No work for me for months now. Courts were shut down as well as all ancillary work. I mean attorneys can agree to go ahead with depositions, but its rare.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on March 18, 2020, 05:14:28 PM
Well since I am a hospital Administrator, yep you could say I am working lol.  Spent the last month or so really gearing up for a storm we hope either never comes or is milder than expected.

Ah man, I completely forgot about you working in the medical industry.
My sister works as an administrator and Im worried about her. They just had their first confirmed case about three days ago.
I know you, but please stay safe as possible!

Crewe

I must share:
So you know I had been dealing with allergies, ear infection, full blown cold and TMJ issues since Thanksgiving of 19.
Multiple doc visits, ungodly sums of money and the like.
Well, yesterday, I went to the CVS minute clinic because I felt symptoms of an infection in my other ear, same as the other.
Since my TMJ treatments have been postponed to to the virus, I wanted to make sure there was no infection and my ENT is a twat of the highest order, so I made an appointment here.
I normally am not a germaphobe o an anxious person, but now, after being inside for a few days, and knowing the intelligence and consideration level of most people in this country, I was a bit nervous. Get in, get out and get gone.
Everything was fine, as far as I know lol but I had to wait on a couple of scripts. So I picked a part of the store close to the pharmacy where there was little traffic.
When I would see someone entering my area, I would quietly shift and shuffle the other way, keeping an eye on them. Not being rude, but very casual. Then another would appear and I would have to shift my route around another aisle, welp, there's another, back this way...
And then I got so tickled at myself because I thought, fuck, Im in a real life Pac man game! lol
Ive laughed about that shit all day.
So hopefully I got out of there with no damage. Im pretty cautious, careful of what I touched at at doc and not myself, and refrained until I was able to get home, ditch the clothes and wash my hands. Maybe overreacting, but hey ;-)

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on March 18, 2020, 10:17:19 PM

My sister works as an administrator and Im worried about her. They just had their first confirmed case about three days ago.

I will and thanks! We had 14 people in the local area decide it would be a good time to travel to Colorado (one of the do not travel zones) and now are all symptomatic. Fun Fun.  It will all be ok this to shall pass.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on March 25, 2020, 05:13:11 PM
Quote from: Crewe on March 18, 2020, 10:17:19 PM

I will and thanks! We had 14 people in the local area decide it would be a good time to travel to Colorado (one of the do not travel zones) and now are all symptomatic. Fun Fun.  It will all be ok this to shall pass.

you know, I just....dont get it...at all

Crewe

In this time of seclusion, early on, I was still going to the grocery store on the reg because I normally go 3-4 times a week, or more, deepening on what's happening.
As everything worsened, I began looking in to delivery services because many store pick ups were delayed by over a week. I have used that service for essentials that we always need, but needed a bit sooner delivery on other things, despite availability.

I've used Insta Cart now three times and each time delivery has been within 5 hours the same day, sans once I saw a window was for the next day.
You can order when the store is closed and you will receive an option for to select a time for the next day.

You are asked to select substitutions for each item which is understandable. If you are around, your shopper will message you about substitutions or you can contact them via messaging through the app.
There's the ability to edit the order prior to shopping beginning, and even though I haven't tried it, Im sure you could message your shopper during the trip to make changes.
Fees are reasonable here, 3.99 for delivery, there's a 2.00 delivery fee and any amount of tip you choose. The app/website defaults to 5%.
For me, its a bit easier to browse via the website then follow up on the app, but either is easy, both the same and app is free.
All in all, I think you pay about $10 bucks more after fees and deliveries which I dont consider to be a bad deal, considering.
Even as most of us are home, you can opt to have the driver leave them at the door to avoid contact, and can even submit messages with your order, such as, buy deli cheese in a block, not sliced.

The app/website is sorta like Dominos I guess, with its tracking phases. It tells you when shopping is in process and the route of the driver to your house with estimated arrivals.

Insta Cart partners with your local stores, so there's a bit of variety within the big box market, ie.e Kroger, H.E.B. (Texas only) Target, Wal-Mart etc...
One downside, and I dont know how important it is to you, but you obviously dont receive any loyalty points from your store card.
They do offer an express which I think negates one of the fees and gives you faster delivery but its $99 per year. Again, thats optional.
It costs nothing to sign up and use the app/website, other than the fees I discussed above.
Other than that, I've been pretty happy with it thus far.

Stay healthy guys!

BojackHorsefella

Now Instacart workers are striking, along with some Amazon warehouse workers and Whole Foods workers (all owned by Amazon, apparently? WF I knew about, not IC though).

Way to go, Crewe. :P

Crewe

LOL Well, I thought IC had most of their issues worked out prior to them striking but I guess not.
So sue me.  :D

rollntider

well I am hanging in there. Working from home and using the pick up services when needed. Stay safe folks

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on March 31, 2020, 12:39:05 AM
well I am hanging in there. Working from home and using the pick up services when needed. Stay safe folks

Good to hear.
Insta Cart still works fine here. I read strikes were only in certain areas.

I had two jobs this week and this morning they both canceled as I figured they would. On the one hand, I desperately need the dough, but on the other, Im really anxious about going out now. That decision was taken out of my hands as they both canceled this morning.
So all was well, until I realize I literally had to pay my mortgage today. Shit's gettin tight...fast.