News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 Off-Season/Season

Started by BojackHorsefella, January 12, 2018, 03:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Guys, I can't wait. Already bought my ticket for opening day at Safeco. I said I wouldn't go to any games with visiting teams that I already saw last year, but I didn't make the schedule and I'm not missing Opening Day, so, Indians it is then.

That being said, as far as my actual team goes, I'm obviously liking the Yankees lineup, I'm just hoping them and the pitchers can stay healthy, and Tanaka can get off to a better start than last year.

Crewe

You know, honestly, after the Astros won the WS, I told a friend, we are already behind in 2018.
I can believe the Dodgers opening at 5-1 favorites. the Astros 6-1? Yea, I can dig it. Yanks @ 8-1? I mean, its not outrageous, but I figured them and the Dodgers to be around 5,6 to 1 honestly.
The Cole non trade, rumors about Arrieta, Archer, Darvish...its going to be a short offseason.

thaima1shu

I would just like to watch Felix pitch in one playoff game. Even just a wild card game. Hopefully this is the year...

TheNorm

Yeah, my Tigers have fully embraced rebuild mode and I'm not really looking forward to watching the next couple of seasons.  :-X
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 12, 2018, 09:30:12 PM
Yeah, my Tigers have fully embraced rebuild mode and I'm not really looking forward to watching the next couple of seasons.  :-X

During the Astros record setting 100 loss seasons, I was really enjoying it because it was a commitment to winning. I liked following the guys developing in the minors, getting called up, getting better each year, this guy being dealt for two others, etc...
For me, it was much more enjoyable that toiling around .500,bringing in the multi gazillion dollar free agent that wouldn't help but also cost you your minor leagues, sabotaging the franchise for years, clinging to the vet whose contributed to in the past but is now fruitlessly draining your franchise of life in his twilight years.

Crewe

The Cole trade went through. People say Pitt was fleeced.
I think it was a good deal for both. It's going to depend on Cole. I hope this doesn't turn into a Gomez deal. I still hate who gave up for that garbage.
Musgrove showed his stuff in the WS and Moran should be solid. Feliz and Martin we could part with because we are stacked in those positions although Moran could help out at first.

BojackHorsefella

I read the same on Deadspin, about Pitt getting fleeced, but it sounds like Cole hasn't achieved what he did in 2015, so I think this one may take some time to evaluate.

BojackHorsefella

Hey Crewe, considering how much emphasis has been put on the Astros personnel decisions and their overall rebuild of the roster, how much credit is the town or even you yourself giving AJ Hinch for winning that Series?

I see him on a lot of interviews, but all the articles usually talk about the draft choices, Springer, and basically front office moves.

Crewe

The saying is typically in Luhnow we trust :D
When Hinch first came on, he was unproven and many thought he wouldn't know how to handle the talent.
We already had the core, Springer, Altuve, Correa, Keuchel, McCullers, McHugh, Gonzalez, Gattis and just drafted Bregman.
So perhaps a veteran coach would be better? Some didnt like his management style, they wanted fire and fury instead of calm and collected.
He was left to his own devices, i.e. coaching style and decisions and Luhnow kept organizing the chess pieces.
It wasn't like Moneyball where Howe was butting heads with management over playing decisions and then the front office quashes the battle by trading the player in question. it seemed as if it was much more in unison.

To your statement though, yes, I would agree, Luhnow had a vision. He came here, dumped our two best and most beloved players and started from the ground up. Thats why it was such fun to watch this team, even during the three 100 loss seasons, because we knew it was headed somewhere, unlike with McLane who just had a bloated payroll, aging vets and a ravaged farm system. Luhnow restocked, drafted and orchestrated the team and Hinch took it from there. From the outside, it appeared as if it was just as it was supposed to be. Front office does its job and the coach does his and each respects the others talents and duties with a common goal.

BojackHorsefella

Who wants to talk Hall of Fame results?

I don't have any contention with anyone who got in. As far as those who didn't, obviously Edgar and Mussina should be in and are trending in the right direction.

I'm honestly surprised Schilling's been rating so low. It could be because of a stuffed ballot this year or it could be because of his controversial status since leaving the game of baseball, but the guy was a dominant pitcher and so crucial to that Red Sox World Series team (bloody sock!)

I also don't give a damn about Bonds and Clemens and steroids, so I really hope they get into the Hall. Put an asterisk up, do what you have to, but they belong there as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't have much of an issue with those who fell below the 5% mark. I suppose a case could probably be made for Johan Santana, but I'm not the one to make that case.

Next year should also be interesting. No way Mariano doesn't get in first ballot. Pettite will probably get the Bonds/Clemens treatment, although I'm curious to see if he gets the 5% (he'd better). Todd Helton, if he's not first ballot, I imagine will get in down the line.

I'm curious to hear what you think about Lance Berkman's chances, Crewe.

BojackHorsefella

Oh, and Roy Halladay is eligible in 2019, which is an obvious first ballot HOF.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 25, 2018, 02:55:43 PM
Who wants to talk Hall of Fame results?

I don't have any contention with anyone who got in. As far as those who didn't, obviously Edgar and Mussina should be in and are trending in the right direction.

I'm honestly surprised Schilling's been rating so low. It could be because of a stuffed ballot this year or it could be because of his controversial status since leaving the game of baseball, but the guy was a dominant pitcher and so crucial to that Red Sox World Series team (bloody sock!)

I also don't give a damn about Bonds and Clemens and steroids, so I really hope they get into the Hall. Put an asterisk up, do what you have to, but they belong there as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't have much of an issue with those who fell below the 5% mark. I suppose a case could probably be made for Johan Santana, but I'm not the one to make that case.

Next year should also be interesting. No way Mariano doesn't get in first ballot. Pettite will probably get the Bonds/Clemens treatment, although I'm curious to see if he gets the 5% (he'd better). Todd Helton, if he's not first ballot, I imagine will get in down the line.

I'm curious to hear what you think about Lance Berkman's chances, Crewe.

I dont disagree with much here. Id agree that Schilling was hurt by his ignorant rants out of baseball but he should be in the hall.
I think Pettite will do okay because he was one of if not the first to own up to it.
As for Bonds and Clemens, I go back and forth for several reasons, one of which you have guys like Doc Gooden, a god awful cokehead but he's in, so some drugs are ok apparently. The way baseball turned a blind eye, even promoted and encouraged the longball was really treacherous.
Then all the sudden, the league throws em all under the bus.
The asterisk thing still pisses me off beyond belief, Maris was treated unfairly and I dont think anyone disagrees, so if you let anyone in the HOF, no asterisk, if they are in, they are in, period.

TheNorm

Yeah, same here. I've no issue with any of those guys getting in, and really think Bonds and Clemens should be in. Hell, the writers had no problems touting their triumphs during their playing days, now they want to go with the self-righteous BS? Vote them in.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Well, not an asterisk, but at least a mention of the steroid controversy.

Crewe

right, well, I wasn't arguing for or against notating the scandalous nature, just irritated that there is an asterisk at all. If you're in you're in. IMO anyway.
I mean logically, since we dotted Maris with an asterisk simply because he faced different challenges, then every player since Ruth should have an asterisk. its just silly politics in my mind.