News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Just watched making a murderer s2.
For me, it's really compelling to see the legal system at work in this process and to hear arguments from both sides.
I've listened to lawyers dissect a seven word sentence in a civil procedure rule book that seemed black and white to me, but that's interesting and educational, if not frustrating at times.
As for this show, 10 eps same as the first season.
This follows Avery's attorney as she attempts to dismantle the states case and takes the viewer through multiple court hearings and motions. It's a fascinating peek into a stressful, demanding, time consuming process. I don't really give a shit about the family stuff, some of its pertinent but most of its filler depicting the hardships of the Avery family which we were subjected to in S1.

And not for nothing, but I'm curious, does anyone believe that Dassey confession was not coerced?

Crewe

House of Cards S6

Im a fan of Robin Wright, and she was wonderful in the final season of HoC sans Frank Underwood.
However, the show had ben sloping downward and it jumped off the cliff in its last hurrah.
They strip stories from today's world which is certainly welcomed, and performances by the ageless Diane Lane plus Greg Kinnear add needed depth to the story, but recurring flat characters and a narrative that is just too far outside reality, even for this day and age, is just too much.
Robin Wright did what she could and I really enjoyed her performance, but its not enough.

Crewe

Designated Survivor S1
Kiefer Sutherland
Maggie Q

I was browsing Netflix and happened upon this series which I really had no intention of watching, but decided to give it a go.

Sutherland plays Tom Kirkman, a low end Presidential cabinet member presiding over Urban Housing. We learn he was Designated Survivor during the Presidents State of the Union and you can guess what happens since he becomes sworn in as Commander in Chief soon after we meet his character.
Kirkman is a mild mannered, soft spoken, meek but even keeled thinker who's not a Washington insider by trade, nor does he ever have such aspirations.
His Chief of Staff, Aaron Shore (Adaon Canto) is more assertive and protects his new boss with as much vigor as you can imagine he did for his previous one. He clashes early on with Emily Rhodes (Italia Ricci) who was Tom's right hand as Urban Secretary who feels as Kirkman's current staffer she should be in the right hand seat. Unlike Canto, I can't decide if Ricci is way over her head or poorly written or a combination of both, either way she's not believable in this story.
The ever smoking hot Maggie Q is Jack Bauer....I mean FBI agent Hannah Wells who is investigating the attack. Incidentally, not that I mind, but Maggie is always decked out in these supremely tight T-shirts and tops with two or three buttons unclasped and its rather obvious the intent. Or maybe she just looks tight in anything, but I digress.
President Kirkman has a Josiah Bartlett aura about him and I don't think that is unintentional here as Designated Survivor seems to blend several genres in to this project.
Soon after his inauguration, while heaving up in the restroom, he hears speechwriter Seth Wright demeaning his President, and Wright was not aware who he was talking to until he exits the stall. It's here we are introduced to the accepting Tom Kirkman who invites Wright (played expertly by Kal Penn)
to help him through this by writing a speech addressing the nation. He further nails his role as Press Secretary, a serious highlight on this show.
He and Rob Morrow produce some of the best albeit brief comedy scenes which are portrayed naturally and not forced in such a situation.

I watched this show because it was fairly high rated, but I had my reservations as it was a network tv program.
This is largely 24, hence my reference earlier to Agent Wells. It's by no means, blow everything up and kill everyone kind of 24, but you can't deny the feel. hell, even the outro music to commercials is the same as 24's was, only truncated by a mere second or two. many times I was hearing the beep boop beep boop beep
Speaking of 24, say hi to Brian Hastings, Jason Pillar and President Keeler.
We have small arcs that are tightly wrapped up ala an episodic series and never referred to again.
Ill spoiler this one
Spoiler
the first son is busted by mom in the White House with a huge stash of ecstasy and a wad of cash. She confronts him, he doesn't know why he did it, she lets it go and its never brought up again. I guess thy just needed a dramatic scene?
The most absurd part of this show is the timid socially awkward but unheralded mastermind IT hacker that assists Agent Wells at every road block by pounding away at his keyboard for a few seconds and then viola. Just way beyond the realm of believability.
Spoiler
Baddie's just walk in to the Pentagon, access the most secure network in the world and walk right out, I mean, not even in a cartoon universe would this fly.
Oh yea, and people get shot and recover instantly, never again showing signs of said wound (ok except one, but still a remarkable recovery)
T bone a car in a massive crash, get of your vehicle instantly and the bad guy is gone already. yea ok. You get where I'm going with all these examples right?

All of that said, it is an interesting walk through as a non Washington insider is vaulted to the Presidency and has to figure out how to re assemble a government from the ground up. We get glimpses in to how the news affects everything as well politics certainly, even in times like this.
Everything is pulled from today and you can grasp what that entails Im sure.
Is it worth a watch? It is if you like tv fare and there are certainly some great actors such as those Ive listed and some Ive left out include Natasha McElhone of Californication who plays the First Lady, Virginia Madsen as reigning Speaker of the House and Malik Yoba who plays Wells' boss Jason Atwood.
This is not a deep thinking show nor is it overly entertaining but there are some bright spots and some decent overall storytelling, but by and large, if I read this review first, I wouldn't watch it, to be sure.

3/5

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on August 21, 2018, 12:13:07 PM
So for my easy fun watch I just blew though The Good Place. Ted Danson was fantastic, Kristen Bell, meh, coulda found someone better I think.

Finally started watching this on Sunday, and finished the first season in a day-absolutely loved it! If I'd have known it was from the same guys that created Parks & Rec and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, I would've started it sooner. Love Kristen Bell though, she's perfect for this.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Is S2 out yet?
I don't mind Bell so much but it just feels like her wackiness is too forced at times but that's just me.

BojackHorsefella

Season 2 has been out. Season 3 is currently airing.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on November 04, 2018, 01:32:25 AM
For me, it's really compelling to see the legal system at work in this process and to hear arguments from both sides.
I've listened to lawyers dissect a seven word sentence in a civil procedure rule book that seemed black and white to me, but that's interesting and educational, if not frustrating at times.
This follows Avery's attorney as she attempts to dismantle the states case and takes the viewer through multiple court hearings and motions. It's a fascinating peek into a stressful, demanding, time consuming process. I don't really give a shit about the family stuff, some of its pertinent but most of its filler depicting the hardships of the Avery family which we were subjected to in S1.

And not for nothing, but I'm curious, does anyone believe that Dassey confession was not coerced?

My biggest problem with what occurred in season one was the lawyers not making a big enough deal about the lack of blood.  They supposedly cut a woman's throat in the bed room.  Where was the blood? The room would have been soaked in it, and there was not one drop?  Have not watched season 2 yet hope its worth the time to view.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on November 27, 2018, 11:43:20 AM
Quote from: Crewe on November 04, 2018, 01:32:25 AM

My biggest problem with what occurred in season one was the lawyers not making a big enough deal about the lack of blood.  They supposedly cut a woman's throat in the bed room.  Where was the blood? The room would have been soaked in it, and there was not one drop?  Have not watched season 2 yet hope its worth the time to view.

After S1 aired, I expressed that very thought. Its amazing to me how that wasn't even brought up, much less glossed over.
Especially when they show you the bed lol Only way someone died in that bed was by disease

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on November 27, 2018, 11:32:14 AM
Season 2 has been out. Season 3 is currently airing.

This right here. I want to start it but I'm afraid I'll lose a day watching that like I did the first season lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Bosch
Titus Welliver
Jamie Hector

Adapted from the novels of Michael Connolly, Bosch is the story of a stoic, hardened, war veteran who is a homicide detective in LA.
While I would call this show realistic, I would hesitate to say its a gritty crime drama. To me, that's The Wire, The Shield, etc, however, there is a place for Bosch.
Its not really a polished show in that its a glossy paint by numbers cop show, but more of a well crafted program with long running arcs that avoids the dreaded "finales," mid season or otherwise.
First off, you have a deep character already established in Harry Bosch. Secondly, you have a stellar cast albeit perhaps unheralded. Sarah Clarke (24) plays his ex, and another 24 alumni is Annie Wersching who plays a rookie cop.
Jamie Hector and Lance Reddick of The Wire play cops as well. Hector, in a far cry from his Wire role, does a superb job as Harry's partner and REddick, more in line with his Wire character, plays the Deputy Chief.

Bosch is a so called rogue cop who won't let go of a case until he solves it despite instructions otherwise or seemingly dead ends in every direction.
One to typically follow the evidence, he isn't above putting a target in his crosshairs but will also play a case close to the vest which doesn't often sit well with his peers or superiors.
Hector plays J Edgar who offers balance to the duo and brings a soft but stern chemistry which is a welcome mix to the show. A sometimes tenuous relationship still achieves results that their peers respect, if not via the methods.
There are one or two really over the top antagonistic moments designed to give the viewer an insight to Bosch, but certainly could have been played better. Despite that, and a few other minor flaws, this series provides a well thought out, evenly planned main arc with compelling characters, not all of whom shine, but the main cast permeates the minors enough to carry the few shortfalls.
I blew through all 4 seasons, each containing 10 episodes quite easily as it is an addicting watch. Slow moving parts with no quick fixes and no abandoned storylines equals a series certainly worth watching.

4.25/5

Crewe

So, I was down with food poisoning for about 5-6 days and powered through some of my list, one of which was The Walking Dead S8.
So, right up front, Ill tell you that TWD long ago went the way of True Blood which is not a good thing.
The overall arcs can be compelling and some stellar character developments are certainly achieved, but the manner in which these stories are related to the viewer are just atrocious. Ive kept up with it just out of sheer morbid curiosity and the fact I was emotionally vested before shit went downhill.
Ive pointed out similar stories in previous reviews, but its just so damned silly, there's no way I can be the only one.
General spoilers follow:
Scene:A group ambushes a caravan on the road. Combatants in the cars empty out and take cover behind said vehicles. Nearing the end of the melee, one of the survivors makes a break from cover and runs in the direction of the ambushers. You knew the intent was that the character escaped and you knew that's what happened, but the evasive jaunt was obviously supposed to be to the other side.
There are just countless scenes of this kind of shit.
Three soldiers standing side by side a few feet apart, facing one enemy combatant in the street 3-5 feet away in an empty street. Not around a corner, not behind a dumpster, face to face in an empty street, negotiating. When one of the three approaches and decides to kill the enemy, at that very dramatic moment, a spear gouges through the guys neck from behind an as he falls, there's this guy from behind who nobody in the world saw or heard. They are all absolutely shocked and stunned. Its just absolutely astonishing that they get away with shit like this.
Well, I know why they get away with it, because people like me watch it.
But on and on and on and its just absolutely terrible. I just keep wishing for this series to end but apparently it has seven or so more seasons of this shit.
In-sane.

Anywho, on to thoughts of the actual story...

Spoiler

So Negan is the leader of the Saviors and Glenn was fed to him at the beginning of S7 to fuel the Maggie character who now leads Hilltop.
Rick, et al, try the long game of planning an extravagant in depth plan to unseat and kill Negan. In the meantime, there's a lot of back and forth with a couple of characters that may or may not be turncoats which adds to the drama.
Darryl engages in selfish behavior along with the laughable barbie doll turned hardened "soldier" whatever her name is (most of these girls are so bad at acting in these roles) to try and end Negan early, which backfires, of course. Then Rick himself aborts his plan risking it all in order to try to cut the head off early, and he too of course, fails.
Then on to the showdown where we knew D was compromised in his double agent endeavor and Negan had Rick trapped in an open field with the high ground.
But alas, at the height of this most tenuous moment, we discover Eugene the bullet maker had truly been converted by St. Gabriel to vow his allegiance to Rick by sabotaging the ammo so it would blow up in the hands of the Saviors. Now how in the hell Negan, et al, wouldn't notice the bullets deformities is beyond anything one could even dream up. Especially when the paint by numbers director showed you first hand what the ammo looked like when altered during Eugene's crisis of conscience.
Then, Rick yells charge and they take out Negan, but Rick leaves him alive in order to imprison him at Hilltop forcing him to witness what harmony and hard work can build, much to Maggie's chagrin as she wants him dead in order to avenge her husband Glenn.
And as the season ends, we are focused in on the antagonist for S9 since Negan isn't a threat anymore. Maggie and Darryl now plan to overthrow Rick for leaving Negan alive.
Oh yea, how can I forget the "key?." this one woman, impeccably dressed with two young, soft pasty white louts acting as security, riding around in a van, chock full of supplies, but somehow never gets attacked or hurt. One who is magically "watching" groups trying to build small communities decides who she thinks will act accordingly when given the key to society, such as instructions on irrigation, electricity, food, you know, all the things we need to live.
I don't know, maybe I was just in a rotten mood, but its just astonishingly laughable to me, it really is.
That said, Ill watch S9 when it airs too, so maybe Im the moron.

If you watched S7 and liked it, you might as well watch S8 too. It at least has some real growth and expansion so there's that.

Crewe

Better Call Saul S4

I really like the backstory they've created for Jimmy McGill.
When I first heard of this project, I wasnt interested despite th fact I loved Saul Goodman in Breaking Bad.
However, Once I started, it was hard not to be captivated by Bob Odenkirk and his struggles with his brilliant albeit disturbed brother, Chuck.
We continue our exploration of how and why Jimmy wanted to be a lawyer and yes, he's a con artist and a thief, but he's also a salesman, and a good one.
Jimmy understands his clients and he understands the law and as a lover of the protections of the constitution, he usually abides by it.
I believe I read there will be six seasons so on one hand, it kinda feels like they are really close to the beginning of Breaking Bad, but on the other, a season could cover a very short time span so lets see what shakes loose. In the meantime, its certainly worth a look.

BojackHorsefella

They've said it won't have more seasons than Breaking Bad. I have a feeling it'll end with Walt and Jesse showing up, but who knows.

Also, amazing show, so great. I thought the same as you, why so I need a prequel about freaking Saul, and yet it's been amazing (minus some of the Cartel stuff. Nacho disappeared for episodes at a time last year and Gus works better in small doses, which is not how the show uses him).

I was worried about season 4 for....season 3 reasons. That character and that actor were AMAZING for the first 3 seasons and I wasn't sure if season 4 would hold up without them, but it did. Utilizing some amazing flashbacks too.

Oh, and season 4, that other character, and that phone call in the finale. Holy, crap. My jaw was hanging open.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on December 31, 2018, 11:44:55 PM
They've said it won't have more seasons than Breaking Bad. I have a feeling it'll end with Walt and Jesse showing up, but who knows.

Also, amazing show, so great. I thought the same as you, why so I need a prequel about freaking Saul, and yet it's been amazing (minus some of the Cartel stuff. Nacho disappeared for episodes at a time last year and Gus works better in small doses, which is not how the show uses him).

I was worried about season 4 for....season 3 reasons. That character and that actor were AMAZING for the first 3 seasons and I wasn't sure if season 4 would hold up without them, but it did. Utilizing some amazing flashbacks too.

Oh, and season 4, that other character, and that phone call in the finale. Holy, crap. My jaw was hanging open.

Agree with all of this

Rigg44

If you have Netflix do your self a favor and watch the umbrella academy.  It is a very well done superhero show that is somewhere between the campy feel of the DC shows and gritty feel of the Marvel show.  For a brief explanation, it's a dysfunctional x-men.