News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Scene it

Started by Crewe, January 05, 2020, 07:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 16, 2020, 11:53:54 PM
Whoops, completely missed the concept. My bad, Crewe.

no worries man. I ws just trying to come up with something we could all share and enjoy that wasn't like a top 5 list.
Still a great selection, because this one kept me out of the freakin water for a bit lol.
My cousin and I were even looking into whether we had relatives on the Indianapolis, and learning about that whole story and how close Jaws was to what happened, I mean, dramatic licenses and all but holy crap

TheNorm

It's been a very long time since I've seen that movie, and it reminded me why-I too remember seeing this when I was little and being afraid to go in the water for weeks after. Yes, I realize that Michigan is pretty much surrounded by lakes and sharks aren't native to here. Try telling an impressionable 7 year old that lol.

Anyway, I need to watch that movie again. Great pick of a scene from a movie that had quite a few scenes to choose from.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 17, 2020, 02:41:05 AM
It's been a very long time since I've seen that movie, and it reminded me why-I too remember seeing this when I was little and being afraid to go in the water for weeks after. Yes, I realize that Michigan is pretty much surrounded by lakes and sharks aren't native to here. Try telling an impressionable 7 year old that lol.

Anyway, I need to watch that movie again. Great pick of a scene from a movie that had quite a few scenes to choose from.

LOL

TheNorm

Haha, you laugh but I'm fairly certain my mom was mad at my dad for a couple days for letting me watch it in the first place lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 17, 2020, 10:08:51 PM
Haha, you laugh but I'm fairly certain my mom was mad at my dad for a couple days for letting me watch it in the first place lol.

lol its awesome though, thats the kinda thing I was hoping for in this thread  :D

Crewe

Another of my favorite films, Back to the Future.
Even though I was an avid movie goer, my family not so much, but we had gone to see this one, and my uncle, who never attended also joined us.
Of course I had already seen it, but you know I have no qualms about multiple viewings ;-)
Good times.

Such charisma and chemistry by Christopher Lloyd and Michael Fox, and especially in this scene where its revealed to Marty the Doc invented a time machine.
This is a mirrored clip I guess for copyright purposes, but its the only one I could find.
At 1:33, Marty is extremely curious with questions about what's going on and Doc is supremely excited and anxious to document everything, telling Marty not now not ow, just screams wonderful ad libbing to me.
At 2:25, Marty asks, you have that hooked up to the....car? Just his delivery was beautiful.
3:30, Doc, while revving the Delorean, slowly eyes Marty up and down, who in turn, slowly returns the wtf gaze.
Just cracks me up. So well done.

Rigg44

So my first movie-going memories were a mixed bag one was Star Wars and the other Animal House.  I was way too young to be at animal house when it came out, it released in 1978 so I was at most 5.  My sister, my oldest sibling, took me to see it for god knows what reason.  I assume it allowed her to go to the movies by dragging me along and I assume we were meant to go to a different film but I have never asked.  All I know is I have remembered this scene ever since that day, I just thought that car was so cool.  I also remember the angel on one shoulder devil on the other scene but I digress. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX71mALOPKs

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 20, 2020, 02:08:38 PM
So my first movie-going memories were a mixed bag one was Star Wars and the other Animal House.  I was way too young to be at animal house when it came out, it released in 1978 so I was at most 5.  My sister, my oldest sibling, took me to see it for god knows what reason. I assume it allowed her to go to the movies by dragging me along and I assume we were meant to go to a different film but I have never asked.  All I know is I have remembered this scene ever since that day, I just thought that car was so cool.  I also remember the angel on one shoulder devil on the other scene but I digress. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX71mALOPKs

LOL having an older sister myself, I can bet that was the case.
So many great elements to this scene.the statue head of Faber on the hood, the train whistle, the double entendre "eat me" and those sunglasses! I scoured till I found a pair just like them.
To this day, I still use that tone when Dean Wormer disgustingly says, Oh my God. LOL
Through the whole ordeal he's thinking there's a serious threat, but he sees Blutarsky and suddenly ..Oh my God hahaha just cracks me up.
That and I hate those guys.
Good clip man!

BojackHorsefella

Long ago, in the days I worked at Circuit City, through just the general DVD bins or the holiday DVD bins, extra discounted, I'd come across a lot of movies that were either unknown (say, He Was a Quiet Man), lesser known (Brick, Rian Johnson's first film), and classics that I'd simply missed out on. This, is one of the latter.

When I bought Glengarry Glenross, all I knew about it was what the back of the DVD told me: they're salesman, and they're all incredible actors (Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Al Pacino, John Cazale, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spa-er, um, Christopher Plummer). Other than that, I knew nothing going in.

A lot of people will talk about the Alec Baldwin scene, and for sure, "coffee's for closers" made it into my everyday speech as it did for most others. But I've always found another speech to be far more scathing and has lasted far longer in my memory. Most of them discount Baldwin, he's an outsider, from uptown, he's not "one of us." Hell, Pacino's character doesn't even show up for it. Of course he doesn't, though. He gets his own.

If the Baldwin speech is people taking what one stranger says very personally, this scene is two people, one who has been very personally offended, and the other who is about to be. The sheer vitriol in Pacino's speech, and the fact that it not only goes from just cutting Spacey's character down, but to fully invoking his absolute failure in his role, not just as a human being but in the one job he is meant to do in the office, Pacino leaves nothing left. I have loved, and likely forever will love, "you never open your mouth until you know what the shot is." I was left absolutely floored. I'd never seen a Lumet film before!

I think the clip I have goes beyond the Pacino part, although it is funny that "you never open your mouth unless you know what the shot is" immediately comes back up, even if it's not spoken, someone else makes the mistake and pays for it (almost went with that scene too. The whole movie I was rooting for Shelly, and "my daughter..." followed by "fuck you" has always left me feeling some way. But man, the above, it's like the one last good Pacino scene before he just decided to only scream anymore).

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 20, 2020, 02:47:11 PM
Long ago, in the days I worked at Circuit City, through just the general DVD bins or the holiday DVD bins, extra discounted, I'd come across a lot of movies that were either unknown (say, He Was a Quiet Man), lesser known (Brick, Rian Johnson's first film), and classics that I'd simply missed out on. This, is one of the latter.

When I bought Glengarry Glenross, all I knew about it was what the back of the DVD told me: they're salesman, and they're all incredible actors (Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon, Alan Arkin, Al Pacino, John Cazale, Alec Baldwin, Kevin Spa-er, um, Christopher Plummer). Other than that, I knew nothing going in.

A lot of people will talk about the Alec Baldwin scene, and for sure, "coffee's for closers" made it into my everyday speech as it did for most others. But I've always found another speech to be far more scathing and has lasted far longer in my memory. Most of them discount Baldwin, he's an outsider, from uptown, he's not "one of us." Hell, Pacino's character doesn't even show up for it. Of course he doesn't, though. He gets his own.

If the Baldwin speech is people taking what one stranger says very personally, this scene is two people, one who has been very personally offended, and the other who is about to be. The sheer vitriol in Pacino's speech, and the fact that it not only goes from just cutting Spacey's character down, but to fully invoking his absolute failure in his role, not just as a human being but in the one job he is meant to do in the office, Pacino leaves nothing left. I have loved, and likely forever will love, "you never open your mouth until you know what the shot is." I was left absolutely floored. I'd never seen a Lumet film before!

I think the clip I have goes beyond the Pacino part, although it is funny that "you never open your mouth unless you know what the shot is
" immediately comes back up, even if it's not spoken, someone else makes the mistake and pays for it (almost went with that scene too. The whole movie I was rooting for Shelly, and "my daughter..." followed by "fuck you" has always left me feeling some way. But man, the above, it's like the one last good Pacino scene before he just decided to only scream anymore).

That Baldwin scene was the first clip Id watched from this movie and it caught me.
I always felt that was true in any aspect of life. Just a great scene and film.

yea, gonna disagree with that  :D

BojackHorsefella

We moved from Ballston Lake, New York, to Columbia, South Carolina over the summer of 1997. Then, come 1998, my dad went and worked for...I don't remember how long, at his brother's accounting firm back on Long Island. It was meant to be temporary, so my mom stayed home with my brother and I while my dad came back on weekends I think, or maybe it was less often, I can't remember so well these days.

What I do remember, is my mom, who was never really into movies, decided we should do dinner and a movie one night a week. I don't think it lasted long, I think we may have seen 3 movies total with our "dinner and a movie," or maybe I just really didn't like the selections, again, my memory is shot. I do remember the first movie though. It was Rush Hour.

I wasn't 100% sure about Rush Hour. I hadn't seen much Jackie Chan and, 1998, I was 11 years old so definitely had not seen Friday, so didn't know what to expect of Chris Tucker. I remember thinking it was going to be an action movie, which it certainly is to one extent, mostly courtesy of Jackie Chan. I didn't really know it was going to be a comedy, I think, which is why I was so caught off guard by Chris Tucker.

This scene is the scene that, above all others ("Who the hell you think you kidnapped, Chelsea Clinton?" or "My daddy could beat up your daddy!" or even "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMING OUT OF MY MOUTH"), I've remembered ever since. Just Chris Tucker, given about a minute to blow through an absolute riff, and he nails each mark. I laughed then, and I laugh every time when I watch it now, and it's funny on its own merits, and I'd laugh still, but I also remember why this movie even came into my orbit. It was an odd pick, still, looking back, IS an odd pick for my mom to have gone with, but hey, what a classic, funny movie, with some great stuntwork too.

Crewe

Jackie Chan is always fun to watch in almost any movie. His dedication to his craft is amazing. I wish fight scenes would take a hint from him, none of that supremely fast close up editing so you cant tell wtf is going on, but then again, most actors aren't Jackie Chan.

BojackHorsefella

Forgot to add this, but watching young Chris Tucker again, kinda makes me wonder what he would've been like in a Tarantino film. Ah, oh well.

Crewe

Captain Phillips, spoilers ahead yo if you haven't seen this film...

This scene from Captain Phillips will never fail to make me well up.
Tom Hanks is such an amazing actor, we already knew that, but also hats off to the med team in this scene which really on duty in the infirmary when they decided all of the sudden to shoot this scene. It wasn't in the script.
the filmmakers and Hanks had just shot the scripted ending and then discovered that the real Cat Phillips had been taken to the infirmary, so they decided right then to do the same.
Just an outstanding job by the medical team. Its said Hanks, et al had it in two takes, but did four.
I have such respect for those that take care of us and like this team, just to be able to comfort someone is such an incredible gift and Im so glad this was captured because it truly is a gem of a scene and deserves recognition.
it moves me to tears every time I see it.

BojackHorsefella

Hanks absolutely nails the going into shock part, and that absolutely floored me when seeing that film.