News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

windows 10 free may be free

Started by rollntider, March 18, 2015, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sakura

Yeah, it's because there's a few caveats in Windows 10 that people are saying "hell no" to.  There's phone home software, all windows updates are mandatory (even the ones you don't want that might screw up your computer), etc.  Backdoors for government agencies, etc.

Basically, Windows 10 is bad news.

rollntider

that sucks about the back doors and stuff

Sakura

This whole Windows 10 Free thing is silly anyway, Microsoft can't possibly believe that offering a free version of Windows will entice people to buy Windows 11/12/neo/One/whatever the hell they plan to call the next Windows after Windows 10.  People don't buy Windows not because they're like "man, Windows Vista was so bad, screw Microsoft!" or "Windows 8 was too different, I'll never buy Microsoft again!"  People don't buy Windows because it's stupidly priced, if the idea is to have everyone using a copy of Windows 8, then they should be selling these suckers at $50-100 a copy.  Instead they sell the basic copy for something like $200-250, and the actual version everyone wants for $300-450, and then they wonder why everyone's pirating the damn thing.

If they were to start selling copies of Win8 and Win7 for $50 a pop, there'd be a lot less people pirating it.

rollntider

I agree with you totally. Of course microsoft stupidly screwed the pooch on system32 and syswow64 folders and program files / program files(x86) and removed the start button.

morons

Crewe

Sakura

Quote from: Crewe on June 02, 2015, 12:52:06 AM
Windows, lol 😜

Still the largest market share by and large, until a better alternative to proprietary comes along, it'll be the most heavily used.   ;D

Crewe

and of course we know that means its always the best product dont we? ;-)

Sakura

Quote from: Crewe on June 03, 2015, 01:20:27 AM
and of course we know that means its always the best product dont we? ;-)
Not really what I'm saying at all, sarcasm or not, but you can't force end-users or developers alike to abandon the most heavily used market and go off into wild country to adopt Loonix.  And OS X is the worst choice of all.  Until Vulkan and/or Mantle become a standard (if they become a standard), then Direct3D is still the most heavily used API.  Even the current de facto standard multiplatform API (OpenGL) is only used by a small number of companies.

And a lot of developers wouldn't switch anyway because there is no registry system to protect their proprietary software from decompilers, and no way to handle proper DRM systems for paid software (because of how open and exploitable Linux tools are).  I'm not saying that I agree with the way things are, but, from a business stand point it's hard to dissuade a developer from wanting to protect their software should they feel that piracy is too rampant an issue.

What would you suggest?

cflnut

I saw that icon in the task bar about a month ago. Decided to reserve a copy. So i'll let ya know how it goes.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Bret

I have been using the final build for about a week now. It has a couple of bugs, but seems to work okay.

It is free. From everything I've been reading, there's a couple of reasons for this.

First, Microsoft is trying to transition to a cell-phone type business model, where they get a cut of everything that is sold in the Windows store or whatever the hell they're calling it. So, they're not going to make their money on the OS, they're going to make it on the apps. Also, I think that with their OneDrive thing (their version of Dropbox), they may try to milk some cash out of you to buy more space in there.

Second, and this is more theory than research...look at what happened to Windows XP. MS stopped pushing out updates for it over a year ago, and over 10% of the internet STILL won't let it go. This is the internet equal to a guy whose wife has died but he can't bear to let her go so he keeps her dead body in the freezer. By giving away Windows 10, getting everyone they can to take advantage, and having a security-updates-whether-you-like-it-or-not system, the internet as a whole is far more secure which benefits us all. Besides, why would anyone not want to install a security update as soon as it is available? I've been in the IT business for 18 years now, and that one still baffles me.

In short, they're stealing some ideas from Apple and Android and rolling it up into Windows.

Bret

Oh, I forgot to put that it is only free the first year (if you upgrade an existing license), and the Enterprise version, the version where MS makes their most money, isn't ever going to be free. So, MS will still be making some money here.

If you want it for free, there are ways regardless. The last OS I actually paid for was XP Home on release day back in '02 or whatever it was...and I ended up regretting that decision. Blah.