News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

https://twitter.com/KarinaLongworth/status/1238221528627417088?s=20

I may take up the "RememberThisPod Challenge" while in quarantine. I need to watch more older movies.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on March 22, 2020, 09:49:59 AM
Was curious about Dark Fate. Not sure I like that they apparently erased everything after T2 since I actually thought T3 was decent (the other two after that by all means erase), but can see how that would make for a much different story. I'll have to check it out down the road.

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum
Keanu Reeves, Halle Berry, Laurence Fishburne, Ian McShane, Mark Dacascos[/i]

This might be my favorite out of the three. So damn good and so damn entertaining. Halle Berry still looking fine, too. The fight choreography does not disappoint at all.

You'd like DF  :)

Im sure Id like Wick 3, Ive been meaning to watch that, maybe it'll be in my rotation the next day or two.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on March 22, 2020, 02:31:44 PM
https://twitter.com/KarinaLongworth/status/1238221528627417088?s=20

I may take up the "RememberThisPod Challenge" while in quarantine. I need to watch more older movies.

Ive been doing this...not the challenge, but watching older movies, re igniting my Hitchcock fare as well.

TheNorm

Been on a DC Animated run the last few weeks. Their animated team has consistently done something they haven't been able to do for the live-action DCU ever since Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale ended their Dark Knight trilogy: put out decent stuff.

The Death of Superman

IIRC this is the third time Superman's death has been covered (Superman v. Doomsday was garbage, and Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice wasn't much better), and this is the one that comes closest to the amazing source material. They did great work on the animation and the voices just fit for all the characters, even though when I hear Rainn Wilson's voice he strikes me more as Dwight than Lex Luthor lol. Amazing job setting up the story too and some of the emotional threads that went along with it. Happy to finally see this storyline get the proper film adaptation it deserved.
4.25 out of 5

The Reign of the Supermen

Takes place 6-months after Death of Superman, and jumps right in to where some of the new "Supermen" started showing up in Metropolis. I honestly don't remember as much from this storyline as I did for Death of so I can't tell you how close it comes to the original source (although it seems familiar). Pays some lip service to how Lois and some of the Justice League are dealing with the loss but almost too conveniently wraps that up in a little bow. Didn't find this one as good as the first one, but still worth a watch I feel.
3.75 out of 5

Red Son

What if Kal-El's ship hadn't crashed into a small farm in Kansas, but instead in to Soviet Bloc country? That's the alternate universe the storyline in the comic and movie covers. Really was looking forward to this one ever since I read the comic a few years ago (you should really check it out), and the movie adaptation delivered.
4.0 out of 5

Batman: Hush

This storyline dropped in the comics a few years ago and was really hard to put down. The animated film also stays pretty true to the story. That's about all I want to say about it because I can't recommend the graphic novel enough. Check 'em both out.
4.5 out of 5
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Oh hell yes!! Can't wait to be in The Room Where It Happens when this drops; seen it twice in Chicago and the opportunity to get to watch the original cast do this is something I've been looking forward to! Even if you're not a fan of musicals, I can't recommend this one enough. While it's a bit of a bummer this won't hit the big screen like it was initially supposed to, it's awesome that they're moving up the release date to this July 3rd instead of October 2021.

https://ew.com/movies/hamilton-movie-disney-plus/
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I haven't listened to a single song from Hamilton or watched any bootleg stuff. I wanted to either see the original cast or at least catch it live. Guess I finally get to be enlightened come July.

BojackHorsefella

Meant to post this earlier, but it's longer so I didn't want to do it on my phone, and then as my work laptop is my only laptop I've been waiting for a free moment, haha.

So, originally was supposed to get married April 25, in PA, but that didn't happen. The time off I would've had for that instead became a staycation. Was nice, not working and just hanging out with the fiancee the whole time, and we played a LOT of Don't Starve Together on the PS4.

However, I needed to do something different at least ONE of the days of vacation. My buddy and I once did a 24 hour horror movie marathon, but that's too much, so instead we just programmed a little four-feature film day with a theme of Hollywood/LA/movies. Just so happened also that we'd never seen any of the films we had chosen. In order of us watching:

Lost in La Mancha

Wow. I've heard this movie was sort of brutal, but goodness. Lost in La Mancha is a documentary made when Terry Gilliam attempted to film his Don Quixote movie (one of many times he attempted to film it). Initially it's meant to just be a straight forward documentary, but as the production becomes more and more snakebitten, it starts feeling more like The Office real fast. Was very interesting, Gilliam doesn't come off great but it's hard to not feel bad for him, and goodness Johnny Depp is so young.

4/5 stars

Sunset Boulevard

A struggling screenwriter has a chance encounter with a former Hollywood starlet who pins her hope for a comeback on him. Mind games and pettiness abound. Sunset Boulevard is a classic, and this being my first time watching it (admittedly I did not know the ending),  I was pretty surprised by some of the twists and turns. There's a reason it's a classic, and it did not disappoint.

4/5 stars

The Player

Robert Altman's The Player. I had actually tried watching this once before when I was younger, but I think it was late or something. The amount of cameos alone make this movie worth it for any movie lover, but going back and seeing a young Vincent D'Onofrio was its own rewarding experience, haha. A very playful, strangely meta (for its time) movie that holds up today, minus the lack of superheros on the movie lots.

Tim Robbins plays a movie producer being blackmailed by a writer he rejected. That's the plot. However, naturally, there's twists and turns and more to it than that.

Also, funnily enough, there's one Sunset Boulevard reference in a spoken line of dialogue, so that was a fun treat.

3.5/5 stars

Mulholland Dr

For our final film, we left the bright lights of Hollywood and went more for the seedy underbelly of LA. A girl awakes with amnesia and can't seem to remember who she is. Along the way, we do meet a film director and some aspiring actors/actresses, but this movie is less concerned with that and is mostly just David Lynch absolutely screwing with the heads of his audience, as far as I can tell. Did it keep my attention? Sure did. Do I understand what the hell happened? No sir, I do not. I blame myself, although, in doing some research after, it seems like the movie has thrown everyone for a loop and Lynch refuses to explain it.

3/5 stars

Crewe

Sorry to hear about the canceled vows, that sucks. And to that end, I had no idea you were engaged lol Congrats!

A film festival is always a good idea  :D
While reading that I was wondering, surely he's seen LA Confidential? Right?
Mulholland can be rewarding, kind of, or not lol I see you fell right in the middle

TheNorm

If you're just starting to realize "wow, Norm's really looking forward to this", then you haven't been paying attention at all. Lol.

https://youtu.be/DSCKfXpAGHc

TheNorm

Was just coming in to post this trailer. I like it...feels more like a crime thriller.

https://youtu.be/NLOp_6uPccQ

TheNorm

The trailer for the Snyder Cut of Justice League was also released today. Not linking to that because whatever lol...I'm pretty sure I've made my opinion on him known more than once or twice. That shit's supposed to be 3.5 hours long too.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on August 22, 2020, 09:42:16 PM
The trailer for the Snyder Cut of Justice League was also released today. Not linking to that because whatever lol...I'm pretty sure I've made my opinion on him known more than once or twice. That shit's supposed to be 3.5 hours long too.

The trailer felt 3.5 hours long.

Wonder Woman was the only thing that kept my interest in DCU at all.
Couldn't get through BvS, never even gave JL a look.
As far as this one goes, honestly, Im just about Batmanned out. Im sure Ill die it a look.
But you ever see something in a trailer that just makes you say, nope?
The quick Zoe Kravitz "fight" scene not only failed to impress but reminded me of the crappy wire work in Charlie's Angels.
Come at me...

Crewe

I was looking forward to this film quite a bit and what you'll notice right away is that there's not a lot for the editor of this project to do as Mendes directs it as one 2 hour tracking shot which is quite amazing.
I don't want to say it was gimmicky but there were times where traditional edits would have helped the story. Almost as if it was more important to maintain the style of filmmaking vs the story. And Im not saying that just to be a disention vote regarding an outstanding project, but I think most people would agree.
At the same time, it isn't a roadblock for the film either.
The score, to me, was good but it didnt really compliment the film if that makes sense? There were scenes where the music was quite tired and cliched leaving you just kinda, aw man.
But then, you're over it pretty quickly.
Speaking of quickly, the exposition is laid out in quite the expedient fashion and we are off and running in a tense first act.
Some good storytelling, some great plot devices, some not so great, but those are minimal.
Ive heard some say the characters didnt grow and I like to think that in a story such as this, there's really no time. War is fast, furious, adrenaline inducing and exhausting. There's time for growth later.
We learn about them, their buildup and their motivations and their actions drive the story and we, orI, care about them and their mission.
In a nutshell, it's almost akin to Saving Private Ryan in that a couple of soldiers need to make their way to the front lines that are supposed to be clear, or maybe not, of Germans. Tasked with warning a Colonel about a trap regarding a raid he is preparing is the protagonist's chief concern. Secondarily, one of the two men has a brother in that outfit and does not want him walking in to a setup.
It's simplistic in its idea, get from point A to point B, but in wa,well, good luck.
I liked this film and I believe you should give it a look because it's more than worthy.

4.25/5

TheNorm

My brother and I had a discussion last week, and he mentioned that since this pandemic started he's watched a ton of movies and tv shows, so much so that he started using the TV Time app to kind of keep track of what he's watched...it was a lot.

Naturally, I decided to go back and see what I've watched in this time frame...yeah, not as much. Even if I add in random movies that I found playing while flipping through channels (John Wick Chapter 1, Independence Day, Infinity War, Endgame, Revenge of the Sith, etc.) it doesn't add up to a lot.

Movies
John Wick Chapter 3
The Death of Superman
The Reign of the Supermen
Superman: Red Son
Batman: Hush
Birds of Prey
Hamilton (3 times)

TV Series
maybe 3 episodes of Jack Ryan S2
The Clone Wars (all of S1 and about 10 episodes of S2)...I can't recommend this series enough
2 episodes of Stranger Things S2
2 episodes from West Wing S3
a few episodes from Parks & Rec
a few episodes from The Good Place...I can't recommend this series enough either, and the last season hits Netflix near the end of September
one episode from The Office S6

My watching habits are dictated by my mood lol.