News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2017 College Football thread

Started by rollntider, January 20, 2017, 12:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

It's Hate Week...although it's a little overwhelming when you realize that 15 out of the last 17 haven't ended all that well for me. I'd still rather be dead than red...Go Blue forever.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

damn, didn't realize it was that bad. Sounds like OU/Texas

rollntider

Here is to hoping we crush the barn again. ESPN has gone full felating the barn. I understand they have Bama fatigue, a lot of people do, but c'mon ESPN try to be impartial. I saw 3 stories on the game and its all about what Bama does bad, or how good the barn is at something or just straight up keys to winning the game for Auburn. I had to read a Bama site that we might be getting 3 LBers back that were injured earlier in the year. 

One of the weaknesses they failed to mention is to dual threat QBs. Barn doesnt have one. He is a pure passer and Bama does well against those. 

Bama's losses the past few years?

2016 - Clemson - Dual Threat
2015 - Ole Miss - Dual Threat
2014 - OSU - Dual Threat  / Ole Miss - Pocket Passer that could run.
2013 - Barn + OU - Dual Threat
2012 - A&M - Dual Threat
2011 - LSU - Pocket Passer

Interesting to say the least.

rollntider

TheNorm

Tired of losing to these bastards. Crazy thing is, we had a shot. Even with John O'Korn at QB, we had a shot. May very well have been Harbaugh's best coaching job in the three seasons he's been here, the game plan had us in it to win it all. But too many missed opportunities ends up with the same outcome as 16 of the last 18 since 2001.

Team will be really good next season; many experts had this team at about 8-4 as the floor, and in hindsight that's probably where it should've been. Can't lose as much talent as this team did last season and not take a step back. The Florida W inflated expectations a bit among the fanbase (including me), only to realize shark humper's team just wasn't that good. The loss to MSU hurt the team, and shouldn't have happened...in that regard, Harbaugh needs to be better (a 1-5 record against your top rivals is not a good look). The coaching staff needs to adjust offensively...and they need to keep DC Don Brown in the fold a very long time.

Young talent got a lot of experience this year, and they'll need it for next. Team can be awesome next season but that road schedule is absolutely brutal (@ND, @MSU, @OSU). For this team to take the next step, they're gonna have to hold serve at home (Wisconsin, Penn State) and take at least two of those three on the road and avoid the potential trap game at Northwestern too. Talent wise this team will be good enough to win the East and Big Ten...coaching needs to get them there. That may be the toughest obstacle.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Mildly disappointing season for Washington since we couldn't make it back to the Pac-12 title game, but all in all two straight 10+ win seasons is pretty damn nice compared to what we've been used to around here. Also doesn't hurt to beat both Washington State and Oregon by a combined 79-17 this year. Going to lose a lot of talent in the front seven this year, so it'll be interesting to see how this team does next year.

rollntider

Well I am out of my shell after the beating we took. The sad part is Daboll did not adjust his offense. We ran the ball down auburns throat to start the 3rd qtr, scored got the lead and never went back to it. He kept trying to throw it down field and it got out of hand. We always have one game a year where we shit the bed, and unfortunately it was this week.

I was hoping to be a contender this year because we lose a lot on defense and will be very young next year. Will still be good but not playoff good.
All of our secondary are gone. over half of our DL is gone. We will be good at LB, but without a good line they will be ran ragged.  I am hoping for a miracle and TCU upsets OU and would love to get payback at the barn.

TheNorm

rollntider

TheNorm

Well Georgia should slide back in to the playoff. Could be real interesting if both Clemson and Wisconsin lose tonight, though. Even if the buckeyes do win tonight though, I'd still put a 1 loss Alabama in over a 2 loss Ohio State squad.

TheNorm

Clemson rolls, so they're safe. How I'd have it:

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Yeah, Bama didn't play in their conference championship, but hey the committee set the precedent last year when they let the buckeyes in over Penn State (and promptly got laughed at when Clemson shut them out...that still makes me LOL). A six-point win over Wisconsin who, while they did go 12-0 heading into tonight, just isn't enough to earn your way back in from two losses (with one of those losses being a 30+ point beatdown at the hands of an Iowa team that went 7-5).

So if this plays out as it *should*, the Buckeyes watch the playoff from the sidelines (yay), the Big Ten doesn't have to worry about having one of their teams being shut out in the playoff game for a third year in a row (your reminder that Ohio State and Michigan State were the teams that were held scoreless...again LOLOL), and we get Clemson/Alabama III as a New Year's Day meal.

And if for some reason the committee decides to go dumbass mode, we get Clemson/Ohio State II. While some of you might find that a bore, I would have no problem watching that beatdown matchup as well.

rollntider

I agree. What gets me pundits are saying we did not win our division. Both Bama and Auburn were 7-1 in division play and they had the tie breaker. Some SEC teams hangs banners when they tie for the division and lose the tie breaker(Ole miss looking at you).

What gets me is that a 30 point loss is somehow swept under the rug, at home to a 5 loss unranked team.

Someone pointed out which team has the worse resume if the teams were reversed somehow like say.....

Lose to #2 Michigan on the road by 12 Tied for division title but not tie breaker.

or Lose to 7-5 A&M at home by 31 points
and lose to Clemson at home by 15 points

If that scenario happened this would be a no brainer that OSU is in. But for some reason OSU gets a pass?

If we don't get in fine, we screwed up, but I will be pissed if OSU goes in above us because they lost by more this year than we have in 3 years. We havent lost to an unranked team since 2007. They did it in  November 2017.

Even Herby admitted Bama was the better team but "Muh conference title" when it comes to the buckeyes.  Last year the precedent was set, conference title means shit when you lose to a shit team (PSU vs Pitt).

I really see why you guys hate them norm.... I really do.

TheNorm

This worked out even better than I imagined. Ohio State gets locked out of the playoffs, a move that even had Herbstreit walk off the set when the pick was made:
https://twitter.com/LGhail/status/937376191434158082

...and to top it off, Michigan got chosen by the Outback Bowl on New Year's Day over Michigan State, which fell down to the Holiday Bowl on December 28 in San Diego. Naturally, that fanbase took it well
https://twitter.com/mwigent/status/937424742256205824
https://twitter.com/kimmerlou77/status/937439411696005121
https://twitter.com/86400BigDog/status/937438899563061253
Yes, that is a #BoycottOutback hashtag. Yeah, some in their fanbase actually believe boycotting an underwhelming chain steakhouse will show them. Peak Sparty...little brother never disappoints.

https://twitter.com/CJRockford/status/937491184615874562
https://twitter.com/sbell021/status/937411903688790016

Ah, good day...good day.  ;D

rollntider

It was a good day....

One day someone will have to explain to me why a team that got beat down by 31 points is even in the discussion for a playoff spot. An unranked team at that. I heard the OSU blowhards talk about "Bama aint played anyone and scheduled a weak schedule" 

Bama scheduled FSU who was preseason #3 and many of those pundits thought there would be a rematch. But unfortunately their QB got hurt late in that game (we were already up big)  And Auburn wasn't the same after playing us, they lost both RBs in the game against us, you are Welcome UGA.

Granted we play mercer or a game like them each year, but I really see no reason against doing one game like that each year.  It gives money to the small schools, it allows players that havent played much a chance to get in playing time. It also allows some players to heal. TO be honest if the NCAA wanted to outlaw FCS vs BCS games, then drop the schedule back to 11 games and allow teams 2 bye weeks during the season.   

Say what you will about the rest of our OOC but CSU and Fresno are decent teams and I believe both are going bowling.  I also think both of those teams are better than the cellar dwellers of the power 5 conferences.  Yeah we beat the shit out of Vandy and they suck in the SEC, but they beat Kansas State a big 12 school that only lost to OU by a TD.

I also found it funny that OSU fans were excusing that Iowa lost because they "fought hard the week before" against Penn State. Sorry but we had LSU, MSU and Auburn in 4 weeks. 2 were on the road. We also had 4 starting LBers out to injury, 2 DL's , 2 DB's, and 1 OL  We were killed by the injury bug and by the mercer game we were starting Dylan Moses at LB who only played like 15 snaps  prior in all the games.

Fact of the matter is if OSU had beaten Iowa, they would have been in the playoffs. If we had taken care of business we would have won the SEC. I am salty about that.

Anyways, hope we can win the Natty if not glad to make it 4 in a row to the playoffs.

thaima1shu

Washington getting to play in the Fiesta Bowl against Penn State is awesome. Given the way this season has gone with the injuries and tough losses, that wildly exceeds my expectations for a bowl game. So much more exciting than having to finish with the Alamo or Holiday Bowl.