News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Your 2018 Bests

Started by TheNorm, December 31, 2018, 11:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

This is self explanatory: what are some of your faves from this past year? Can be the usual (books, movies, shows, songs, whatever). Rank 'em if you want, or just list your best: totally up to you!

Favorite Movie: I'd rank them but to be honest I haven't seen enough this year to do that. Either way, Black Panther tops the list for me with Avengers: Infinity War a close second.

Top Songs: According to what I listened to most this year on Spotify, my Top Ten (and further proof that dance stuff pretty much consumes my listening habits now):

1. Shawn Mendes - Nervous
2. The Weeknd, Kendrick Lamar - Pray for Me
3. Ed Sheeran - Perfect
4. Niall Horan - On the Loose
5. Imagine Dragons - Whatever It Takes
6. Bruno Mars & Cardi B - Finesse (Remix)
7. Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still
8. Charlie Puth - We Don't Talk Anymore (feat. Selena Gomez)
9. Maroon 5 - What Lovers Do (feat. SZA)
10. Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song

Favorite Sports Moments

1. This one (sorry Crewe)

2. Michigan Football's Revenge Tour - It didn't end like I'd hoped and once again we're into another offseason with parts of the fanbase getting ready to meltdown, but for a couple of months things were a ton of fun. Brighter days are ahead too if Harbaugh can make the necessary adjustments.

More to come later...
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Best console game

Marvel's Spider-Man - this really wasn't a hard decision for me. The game pulled me in right off the bat; the controls and graphics were incredible, the story is compelling with enough twists and turns to rival some of the best MCU films, and the support from Insomniac Games with regard to the DLC and patches has been top notch. RDR2 is great, but Spidey knocked it out of the park here. Can't wait to see what a sequel brings.

Best mobile game

Sid Meier's Civilization VI - this is one hell of a port. I don't mind playing this on my iPhone X at all.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Got Spider-Man from my fiancee's mom while in SC. Can't wait to play, but still have RDR 2 to finish.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on December 31, 2018, 04:04:29 PM
Got Spider-Man from my fiancee's mom while in SC. Can't wait to play, but still have RDR 2 to finish.

Saw you playing it for a bit (I think), what are your impressions so far?

As for the rest of this thread, don't everybody all jump it at once. 🧐🤨

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 08, 2019, 02:43:59 AM
Quote from: Bucfever on December 31, 2018, 04:04:29 PM

Saw you playing it for a bit (I think), what are your impressions so far?

As for the rest of this thread, don't everybody all jump it at once. 🧐🤨

lol I often thought my nickname should be threadkiller ;-)

Bests of 18 eh?
id have to give this some thought:

Best TV series - The Americans. Im a sucker for Cold War flicks and this one blends the right amount of believability with a perfect balance of tv fare to keep it within the realm of likelihood. This series had a terrific ending, one I think is extremely underrated and should be considered in the top ten of best ever

Best movie - Blade Runner 2049 - I absolutely love how the worlds of the original film and the sequel, although 35 flipping years apart, merge seamlessly.
You see technological advances as societies do advance, but the look and feel is the same. Think of jumping from the sleek and digital look of Episode III to ANH. See what I mean?
On top of that its just a great story and its Harrison Ford, duh.

Top sports moments - This might be cheating, but Ill say the Astros at Fenway in September where we took 3 out of 4 en route to the playoffs.
Also, mainly because I was there, it was my first time in Boston and it was Fenway for crying out loud.
And norm, your little jibes don't bother me lol I was still proud of the Cougars (ok, it bothers me a little bit)  :D

Musically - Hard to say. Sadly I don't find all that much new music, I tend to delve deeper in to bands I already know, deep cuts and what have you, learning more and more about them. I did discover Samantha Fish who I really like a lot

Best archive pull (tv series) - Cheers. I seriously just ran through eleven seasons at 26 episodes each like it was nothing.
I absolutely love this show. Written with a community aspect in mind, terrifically flawed characters and stayed fresh throughout without hanging on in misery for 4 or 5 seasons beyond its prime like many shows do.

Best archive pull (film) - Rear Window. Alfred Hitchcock just teed this one up and knocked it out of the park.

Best dog - mine

BojackHorsefella

Hm, yeah, I dunno

Best vacation: Definitely the cruise the fiance and I took back in January of 2018. Went with her mom and sister to the Bahamas. A five day cruise, I had a good time. She got a little seasick the first and last day though so not sure I'll get to go on another.

Best movie: Blindspotting, but I've covered my love for that movie enough already.

Best TV show: Going to (maybe?) cheat and say Better Call Saul's fourth season, which aired last year. Absolutely incredible and it's astonishing to me that the show keeps getting better.

Top sports moments: I mean, the Eagles winning their first Super Bowl and beating Brady was a pretty big moment, right?

Top video-game: Going to go with Red Dead Redemption 2, but we're talking, if RDR2 were a 10, Spider-Man would be a 9.9. There's just so much in Red Dead, it's hard to put Spider-Man in front of it, but man have I been loving that game so far too.

Crewe

Oh yea, good call, best vacation, Boston, but I think I kinda covered that lol

Ive been on two cruises and can say I was really kinda underwhelmed. I mean it was nice and fun but I have no real desire to do it again. Only reason I went the second time was some stupid HS reunion lol