Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Oh man, not enough room....Ill have to do this by franchise lol

1 Nolan Ryan, Richard, Cedeno, Biggio, Bagwell
2 Gordie, Mark and Marty Howe
3 Olajuwan, Drexler & Horry
4 Earl Campbell, Mike Renfro, JJ Watt, Andre Johnson
5 90's Cowboys

I stayed within the spirit of the list didnt I? ;-)

cflnut

1) Warren Moon (Edmonton Eskimos)
2) Henry "Gizmo" Williams (Edmonton Eskimos)
3) Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers)
4) Mike Reilly (Edmonton Eskimos)
5) Mark Messier (Edmonton Oilers)

Honorable Mentions: to Maria Sharapova, Rafael Nadal, & Denis Shapovalov. I don't watch a lot of tennis anymore but I still enjoy watching the three play.

Out of those five the only ones I haven't meet are Warren Moon & Wayne Gretzky. Also Mark Messier's mom was my baby-sitter when I was in Pre-school & Kindergarten.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Top 5 Players From Your Favorite Teams (who you've seen play)

Do opposing teams count?

#1 Derrick Thomas
#2 Doug Flutie (Calgary CFL vs Barracudas, Boston College vs Bama)
dude had magic and he was on the opposite team, and broke my heart each time lol, still was a pleasure to watch him play.
#3 Matt Dunnigan even though he was close to retirement he still had some magic in him when he played here
#4 Cornelius Bennett
#5 Derrick Henry

Crewe

Quote from: cflnut on August 21, 2018, 03:00:49 PM
1) Warren Moon (Edmonton Eskimos)
2) Henry "Gizmo" Williams (Edmonton Eskimos)
3) Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers)
4) Mike Reilly (Edmonton Eskimos)
5) Mark Messier (Edmonton Oilers)

Honorable Mentions: to Maria Sharapova, Rafael Nadal, & Denis Shapovalov. I don't watch a lot of tennis anymore but I still enjoy watching the three play.

Out of those five the only ones I haven't meet are Warren Moon & Wayne Gretzky. Also Mark Messier's mom was my baby-sitter when I was in Pre-school & Kindergarten.

I should probably add Moon as well. I don't think he got the respect he truly deserved in Houston

thaima1shu

1. Ken Griffey Jr.
2. Felix Hernandez
3. Gary Payton
4. Ichiro
5. Kam Chancellor

Just outside the top 5 would be guys like Jake Locker, Richard Sherman, Edgar Martinez, Shawn Kemp, Russell Wilson.

Rigg44

Is this seen in play live or just seen play?

BojackHorsefella

Just play in general, doesn't have to be live.

Like, I couldn't say "Joe Namath" as one of my favorite players, because I never actually saw him play.

Crewe

oh I thought you meant we saw them in person....well, thats what I listed ;-) otherwise I would have quite the crowded list

Rigg44

1. John Riggins
2. Art Monk
3. Larry Bird
4. Bo Jackson
5. Kevin Mchale

Just outside the top 5 would be guys like Clint Didder, Parish, George Brett, and Charles Mann.

cflnut

Quote from: rollntider on August 22, 2018, 12:34:31 AM

Do opposing teams count?

#1 Derrick Thomas
#2 Doug Flutie (Calgary CFL vs Barracudas, Boston College vs Bama)
dude had magic and he was on the opposite team, and broke my heart each time lol, still was a pleasure to watch him play.
#3 Matt Dunnigan even though he was close to retirement he still had some magic in him when he played here
#4 Cornelius Bennett
#5 Derrick Henry

For the 100th Grey Cup, in 2012, the CFL ranked the top Hundred players of all time, and Doug Flutie was number 1 on that list.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on August 21, 2018, 02:10:02 PM

1) Mariano Rivera
2) Curtis Martin
3) Wayne Chrebet
4) Brett Gardner (genuine. His aunt actually works with my dad, he's from Holly Hill, SC originally)
5) Ronde Barber

Honorable mentions: Since I'm not really a huge basketball fan, but obviously Patrick Ewing was my boy back in the day for the Knicks. For the Rangers, how could I not say Gretzky? But he doesn't belong to NY :(

Oh, and I guess my default by favorite soccer team is the NY Red Bulls, so lets go with...well, say, this Michael Grella kid on their team is probably good, with a name like that, right?

I could go by franchise and still feel like Top 5 wouldn't be enough, but since I do have to work in a few hours I'll just go off the top of my head here...

1. Steve Yzerman
2. Isiah Thomas
3. Barry Sanders
4. Charles Woodson
5. Vladimir Konstantinov

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Something different today, snagged from twitter:

If you had to recommend someone play five games to really get a feel for you/your tastes, what five would you pick?

1. NCAA Football 14 - my love for the college game, sports in general, my alma mater, and create-a-player all right here.

2. Batman Arkham City - my favorite superhero coupled with most of the voices from one of the best animated series ever. Perfect combat system too, and it had one of the best stories for a videogame ever.

3. Cards Against Humanity - this isn't limited to videogames lol. My sense of humor tends to be dry and sarcastic but I can go raunchy in a heartbeat. This game covers it all.

4. Texas Hold 'em - I love poker in general; can tend to find out a lot about a person based on how they play.

5. Sid Meier's Pirates! - my introduction to simulation type games and Sid Meier in general. I had no idea a game like this was possible on the NES and I played it for weeks on end.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

If you had to recommend someone play five games to really get a feel for you/your tastes, what five would you pick?

1. NBA 2k17 - I love sports games when done right (Madden, do better!) and this one has it all INMO.

2. Destiny- and MMORPG light with space wizards, in in.

3. Axis and Allies- this scratches two itches for me. One history and two what if war simulation.

4. Risk- See above

5. Settlers of Catan- I like the fact that every game can be different.

BojackHorsefella

Going to really have to think about this one as I don't play as many games as I used to.

1. MLB The Show - I mean, pick any year (although I've probably played either 09 or 18 the longest). Most realistic, only game on the market outside of RBI Baseball these days, but unlike Madden it hasn't lost quality as a result. Road to the Show is my preferred mode, creating myself and a slew of other positions with creepy physical features, but back in the day it was all about franchise which was a lot of fun too.

2. Madden 2003 - I thought about Madden '02 (I still love that Expansion Draft feature and wish it could be an option in every Madden game), but '03 got the most love, the most plays against actual people (lot of friends had 03 but didn't have 02 for whatever reason). Great soundtrack, good franchise mode, and most importantly: create your own plays, which I was ridiculous about. I had defensive and offensive formations for just about every situation (I had a lot of free time) and the audibles to go along with it. I once played a friend on his console where he'd edited every player on the Rams to be all 99s and still only lost by a touchdown with the Buccaneers and my playbook. And oh, right: that was my team exported from my franchise, one of the coolest features of '03. Obviously, NFL 2k3-2k5 had the gameplay (and 2k4 and 2k5 were superior to their Madden counterparts), but Madden '03 had a lot of great features.

3. Overcooked - Play this one with the fiance a lot. We just beat the campaign mode on the base game, we've moved onto the holiday DLC and have one other DLC pack to finish before we go and buy the 2nd. First off, just a fun game. Second, it's actually got me wanting to finally learn how to cook. Thirdly, it's honestly a great way to build communication between two people. It's funny, because when we're in the actual kitchen and I'm trying to assist, it's become so much easier to not get lost thanks to the communication skills we've built up from this game. Honestly, one of the best ones out there and I'll always advocate for it when I get a chance.

4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - I love these Bioware RPGs that have excellent gameplay and the dialogue options where you can choose two paths. Great replay value and a lot of fun (could've gone with Mass Effect, but as this laid the groundwork for that series, plus, was Star Wars, figured I'd go with the old KOTOR).

5. Metal Gear Solid - I almost chose 4, just because it was a larrrrrrrge game, obviously the graphics were incredible, and the way it actually managed to tie up every loose end in the story is startling, because this is a very weird and convoluted story and I was ready to be disappointed. But the best part of MGS4? Going back to the setting of Metal Gear Solid, and not only that, but also piloting the Metal Gear from that game, Metal Gear Rex.

Because nostalgia is a hell of a thing and I have it for the first MGS game. I remember back in the day, when Crash Bandicoot was for some reason advocating for stuffed crust pizza from Pizza Hut, they used to give out a free demo disc with pizzas (Hell, remember when the first Playstation console CAME with demo discs?)

I got one from Pizza Hut, I don't remember EVERY game it had on there, but this was one of them (so was MediEvil 2, I believe). I played that demo over and over and over and my brother made fun of me for doing so. He said the game sucked. I said I was going to get it one day.

And I did, and I didn't put the damn thing down. It was unlike anything I'd ever played. The first cinematic type of game that really felt like a movie and game in one, which is far more common these days. And it worked! It was just the right amount of strange and kooky mixed with intense and fun. And so innovative! I'd never played a game with a fight like the one against Psycho Mantis, or had the characters talk to me like they know they're in a game ("Don't even think about using autofire, or I'll know").

On PS2, Splinter Cell came out and tried to be a competitor, and thanks to MGS2 and it's new main character Rayden, nearly succeeded. But Metal Gear Solid laid a (excuse me) solid foundation that kept the series alive to this day. Snake is still one of the best characters out there, David Hayter is like my video game Kevin Conroy. The codec, everything, just...I could go on about this game forever. I love it. So should you.

Honorable mentions: Command and Conquer: Red Alert; Call of Duty: Modern Warfare; Tecmo Super Bowl

cflnut

1. Canadian Football - I'm pretty sure that with the user name I have that this one speaks for it's self.
2. Final Fantasy 4 or 6 - I think these two are the best in the series and the only two I still play regularly today.
3. Dungeon Quest 1st edition (1985) - My dad and I used to play this game a lot. It became our one of our go to games on game night when I was growing up.
4. Banished - Found this game on Steam and have rather enjoyed it. I love empire building games and this one is one of the better ones I've played.
5. Hero Quest (Board Game) - A simplified version of Dungeons & Dragons, That focuses more on exploration and combat then free form adventure.