Forum > Reviews

The Book Review Thread

(1/4) > >>

TheNorm:
Sure, why the hell not? I'm pretty sure we had a thread similar to this before it got lost some time back in the server switch. Anyway, just posting a review I had on goodreads for this book I finished last night. Great book and a few tearjerker moments there.

Every Day I Fight by Stuart Scott

When Stuart Scott passed away in January of 2015, I was shocked-I knew he'd been battling cancer for years but I always just assumed he'd come back like he had before.

But cancer's a dick.

I really enjoyed this memoir, highlighting his life from his childhood to his years of playing sports, to his college years and him finding his passion-the news. You learn quite a bit about how he started at ESPN and just how much they were behind him there. And of course, you learn all about his battle with cancer.
Probably one of the things I love most about this book is that you can hear Stu's voice in your head, like he's there to tell you all these things. He's a real family man and it feels like his entire fight was for his two daughters that he loved very much. I'd recommend this book to anyone. The back cover also has his most remembered quote from the 2014 ESPYs, when he received the Jimmy V Award for Perseverance. You'll always be missed, Mr. Scott-I didn't know you personally but through this book I feel like I got a good look at the person you were. Thank you for sharing with us.

--- Quote ---"When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and the manner in which you live."
--- End quote ---

5 out of 5

Sakura:
That's a pretty nice quote, I'm afraid I'm at a bit of a loss when anyone sports related comes up.  Pratchett died earlier this year too; seems like the good writers are on their way out.

rollntider:
Yeah, I will have to pick that one up. Cancer sucks big time.

Crewe:
Fitting he received the Jimmy V award

BojackHorsefella:
I'm sad to see this thread died two years ago apparently. Lets see if we can revive it.

So, lets see if we can revive it. I'll start with just one for now.

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

Read this last year. I think it's being turned into a movie too, which makes sense. This is a really intelligent book, but also a breeze to read. The basic premise is this: A man who used to work in as a scientist who now teaches, his artist wife and their son live out a perfectly satisfying life, but his former colleague is winning an award for a scientific breakthrough. On a stroll at night wondering what his life could have been, the man is kidnapped and wakes up in a place he doesn't recognize, but where everyone thinks he's a single man who's been forging scientific breakthroughs, including a big one that allows for travel to parallel realities.

I don't want to spoil too much, but a book that could simply be a journey through endless possibilities delivers that and so much more, with a plot development towards the end that you won't see coming that makes perfect sense.

Highly recommend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version