News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 days of movies challenge

Started by Crewe, March 08, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

riding norms coat tails with approval ;-)
I thought I would continue our 30 day thing with movies.
Some of these will be the same or similar as the music and tv.

Day 1
A movie you are embarrassed to admit you like.

For me, its a chick flick called Steel Magnolias.
A stellar cast but Sally Field once again steals the movie in grand fashion.
This film hits all emotions and is really well done. Even if you dont tell anyone, you should check it out.

BojackHorsefella

I had an ex make me watch Steel Magnolias. I was not amused.

Um......a movie that I'm EMBARRASSED to admit I like. I mean, there's a few movies I like that are awful but I'm not embarrassed to admit I like them.

I'll say one that I've been...having difficulties with lately is Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. When I saw this movie in theaters I thought it was absolutely incredible and for all the world it seemed like everyone was in agreement. Then it got nominated for a Best Picture Oscar and suddenly it was boiled down to "that film with the sympathetic, racist cop," which I personally think is a very unfair and simplistic breakdown of the film's overall tone and story.

So, yeah, we'll go with that. Or Brokeback Mountain, but again, I'm not actually embarrassed to admit I like it.

TheNorm

Day 1
A movie you are embarrassed to admit you like

The first Step Up. The only reason I even watched this is because it was one of the three films showing on a flight from Minneapolis to Tokyo in 2007...and for some reason I can't sleep on planes no matter how tired I am. The dancing sucked me in (big shock I'm sure) and the story was decent enough I actually paid attention until the end. Won't go out of my way to watch it but on the couple of occasions I've seen it broadcast on tv since I end up sticking around for awhile. Random fact: Channing Tatum met his wife when they were filming this movie.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Step Up reminds me I could have gone with Magic Mike XXX or XXXL, whatever the numerals were, but again, not embarrassed about liking it. That movie was HILARIOUS.

rollntider

Day 1

Resident Evil movies..... I liked them, they are full of cheese and the even movies werent as good as the odd releases (i.e. 2,4) .... Mila... enough said

cflnut

Day 1

Star Wars Episode 1, 2, & 3.

As much as you hear most people say just how bad these were I think they at least they fit the story narrative better the 7 & 8 do.

I also think there should have been a scene where Anakin kills Jar Jar Binks. Would have made the movies a lot better. :D
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on March 08, 2018, 12:45:22 PM
I had an ex make me watch Steel Magnolias. I was not amused.

interesting. You dint like the movie at all or just didnt think the funny bits were funny?

Day 2
An actor/actress whose movie you will see regardless of negative reviews

For me, Tom Hanks. I know every actor can bomb but I will risk it on a TH movie.
It used to be DeNiro, but not so much anymore.

BojackHorsefella

Day 2

Hm...I'd probably go with Michael Keaton, which I suppose is slightly a lie because I skipped American Assassin, but I think he's the closest one.

And as for Steel Magnolias, yeah, I just didn't find it that funny or interesting.

rollntider

Day 2

Your choices of Hanks and Keaton are ones also, but Robert Downey Jr. is my choice.  In addition to the marvel franchise, his Sherlock movies and Tropic thunder was good also.

TheNorm

Day 2

The closest would more than likely be Tom Hanks or Helen Mirren.

*EDIT* scratch that, mad at myself for not having him jump right out in my mind...Denzel Washington.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on March 09, 2018, 09:42:14 PM
Day 2

The closest would more than likely be Tom Hanks or Helen Mirren.

*EDIT* scratch that, mad at myself for not having him jump right out in my mind...Denzel Washington.

Good call there.

Day 3
A film that made you a fan of the director

Hitchcock with Rear Window was my first thought, but Im going with Scorsese and Goodfellas. Just a masterful work.

cflnut

Day 2

Harrison Ford, He's probably the one actor that I've seen almost every thing he's done.

Day 3

Legend was the first Ridley Scott film that I saw it was Alien and Blade Runner that truly made me a fan of his.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

BojackHorsefella

The Darjeeling Limited

I never saw Zissou or Royal Tenenbaums or even Bottle Rocket and Rushmore. I heard good things but didn't see them (funny thing is, I went back later and saw the first three and wasn't even a big fan of Zissou or Tenanbaums).

But for some reason, when Darjeeling Limited came out, I had to see what this Wes Anderson guy was about. And I loved it. Then I saw Fantastic Mr Fox and Moonrise Kingdom and finally, the amazing Grand Budapest Hotel. Now I can't wait for Isle of Dogs.

Still gotta see Rushmore though.

TheNorm

Day 3

The Prestige...yeah, I know: I should've become a fan of Christopher Nolan by the time Memento (which I still haven't seen, btw) came out, or even Batman Begins, kicking off the greatest Batman trilogy. That movie made me thankful to Nolan for redeeming the franchise that Joel Schumacher nearly destroyed. The Prestige, however, was the one that really made me a fan of his work. I see his name attached now and I'll almost always (still haven't seen Interstellar either and I bought that when it came out lol) check it out...haven't been disappointed yet.

BojackHorsefella

Oh, what a great pick. I love The Prestige. It's one of those movies where when it's on TV, I can't help turning it on and just watching whatever's left. So amazing.