News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

30 Days of Video Games Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, April 17, 2018, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Alright, I'm doing this. Lets hope I don't run out of ideas for all 30 days.

Let's start simple.

Day One: The First Video Game You Can Remember Playing

So, this isn't owning, this is playing, and it can be anything, whether it was Donkey Kong at the arcade or Donkey Kong on console, if it's a game that's on a TV that uses some sort of controller scheme, it counts. Even those little handheld Mattel ones from back in the day.

Anyways, the first game I can remember playing is from the Atari...2600, I believe? It was called "Freeway," and was basically Frogger, but with a chicken.

Crewe

Day 1

As old as I am, there can be only one, as a matter of fact, there was only one lol
Atari Pong

cflnut

Asteroids. Played the hell out of this on my dads old TSR-80 computer.

Quote from: Crewe on April 17, 2018, 12:25:01 PM
Day 1

As old as I am, there can be only one, as a matter of fact, there was only one lol
Atari Pong

I used to have the program code for Pong on the Commodore 64.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

I was maybe four or five at the time, but I always think of a Howard Johnson's diner/rest stop on a road trip. Either my dad held me up or propped me on a chair while I played either Asteroids or Space Invaders. Fairly certain it was Space Invaders.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Day Two: Favorite Video Game Athlete

So, this can be anything. Maybe it's Bo Jackson in Tecmo Super Bowl. Maybe it's Madden 2004's Michael Vick. Or maybe it's Bowser in Mario Kart. It could even be one of your Road to the Show creations. Just some character participating in a sport that you enjoyed controlling in the game.

For me, I have to go back to NCAA 2002 to Madden 2002, where I had a RB with the Florida Gators named Scott Cordes. Coached him through three years and then drafted him to my expansion team on Madden 2002, where he eventually went on to break Emmitt Smith's career rushing record.

Crewe

I cant really recall anything that sticks out here right now bu I guess Id go with the one Im mostly invested in which is my current RTTS guy Ive run for 11 seasons now over what, maybe three, four versions of MLB?
Im going after Ricky Henderson's all time stolen base record. I wasn't able to touch his season high but did break 100 once.

rollntider

unfair for us old farts. Pong was the only option LOL.... but combat the first "real" game

rollntider

Shaun Alexander, on the NCAA and Madden covers.

cflnut

I forget his name but the quarterback I had in NCAA 09. I one season I had him pass for over 3000 yards and rush for over 1500 yards.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

TUFF Media Personality/WR Devon Holmes  8)

I couldn't even tell you what game we ran TUFF on anymore, and the PC with all my old TUFF files is long gone...but I do remember that he did help the Chicago Skyline (formerly Ann Arbor Aces) win the TUFF Bowl one season in a ridiculous shootout with the Baltimore Battalion.

There's your dose of BSB nostalgia for today.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on April 18, 2018, 06:27:59 PM
Action PC Football, IIRC

you sir are correct and it also had a boxed version called season ticket football for a season.

Tuff was spun off of Sierra Sports FBpro 98 league MLF, and out lived it and outshined it. 2 fun leagues. cant remember who all was in my MLF but the TUFF had some great times.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on April 19, 2018, 02:04:48 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on April 18, 2018, 06:27:59 PM
Action PC Football, IIRC

you sir are correct and it also had a boxed version called season ticket football for a season.

Tuff was spun off of Sierra Sports FBpro 98 league MLF, and out lived it and outshined it. 2 fun leagues. cant remember who all was in my MLF but the TUFF had some great times.

For real. Would be cool if Ben, Dom, Daryl and Phenom were all still here. Granted, I disappeared too, but, you know.

BojackHorsefella

Alright, Day 3, and I'm already running out of things to ask

Day 3: Name a Game That Made You Sad/Cry

For me, this is a tough one. I'm torn between two games, but I think I'll go with the one from my favorite series.

Metal Gear Solid

The final battle, facing Liquid Snake, and an unlikely ally gives his life to save yours. I don't want to go into spoilers because they remake MGS all the time and you guys should at least play the first one if you haven't, but, ugh, I don't remember what grade or how old I was but I know it got the water works going.

TheNorm

Day 3: Name a Game That Made You Sad/Cry

Other than NHL 2K3 when I launched my controller against the wall after losing a Game 7 OT Cup Final thriller to Toronto and then remembered how much it cost for a new controller?

Probably Season One of Telltale's Walking Dead. Had quite a few emotional moments in that one, but in the first episode when you go through the house where the little girl Clementine is, you can hear the answering machine play a few messages from the parents to the girl and the babysitter that was watching her. It's a little time capsule of the world breaking down and I just remember sitting there and saying 'wow' as the messages played.