News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

New Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer just dropped. Oh my.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Must resist watching that. Don't want to see too much!

rollntider

Hulk Buster Armor. I gotta say I know nothing of why its there, (never read Iron man comics, was a spidey geek)   but I look forward to the reasons. I do know they altered the origin of Ultron. Just like they did with Starlord. But I can live with it.

Crewe

is this the only movie thread we have? Mustve been buried by the TV thread...

In any event, just came her to say I took to the theater yesterday to see Fast Times at Ridgemoint High and it was just as fun as the other numerous times I viewed it on the big screen.
These Fathom Events are quite fun in order to relive old classics. They bring them back on anniversaries for two days, Sunday and Tuesday...which means you can still hit Fast Times if you want.
We went for Smokey and the Bandit erlier this year, the Godfather...Bonnie and Clyde is coming up as is the Princess Bride.
tickets are expensive, like 13 bucks, but I guess if you like it, you spend it.
Here's a link to the rest of this years releases.

https://www.fathomevents.com/series/tcm-big-screen-classics

Sakura

Quote from: Crewe on July 31, 2017, 01:29:14 PM

In any event, just came her to say I took to the theater yesterday to see Fast Times at Ridgemoint High

Is it 1982? :D

rollntider

I hear that movie splash is going to be good. I think that Tom Hanks guy will be a superstar actor in the years to come   :D

Crewe

Quote from: Sakura on July 31, 2017, 04:23:07 PM
Quote from: Crewe on July 31, 2017, 01:29:14 PM

In any event, just came her to say I took to the theater yesterday to see Fast Times at Ridgemoint High

Is it 1982? :D

I wish it was, so many things to enjoy again, not to mention, do overs!

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on July 31, 2017, 06:19:37 PM
I hear that movie splash is going to be good. I think that Tom Hanks guy will be a superstar actor in the years to come   :D

lol oh the 80's

Crewe

Emma Stone as BJK and Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WMdzBwsZRX8

Dubbed the battle of the sexes, this event put women's tennis on the map and was a pinnacle moment in the women's movement.
Looks fairly light hearted with some decent Carell moments but I think I'll pass.
I'd be curious though if there's a movie about the Williams sisters mouthing off and getting trounced on the court?

Crewe

Oh btw norm, watched Deadpool today finally so I'm no longer an outsider 😎

Crewe

Atomic Blonde
Charlize Theron James McAvoy John Goodman

It didn't take much for me to watch this as Ive been a fan of Theron since forever.
This is a Cold War spy flick taking place in East/West Berlin in the 80's, complete with European 80's soundtrack.
Theron is sent to Berlin to recover a top secret list containing an absurd amount of info on all the spies in Europe (I know, I thought MI immediately)
by MI6.
Told not to trust anyone, she's isolated immediately despite meeting her handler upon arriving, James McAvoy, who incidentally, also turned in a good performance. It sorta reminded of Edward Norton in The Italian Job at times.
Ive heard folks say this is her version of John Wick, also a good flick btw, and I somewhat agree except that the story, which is a retread of the spy genre is much better than JW.
Theron does a wonderful job and really brings a believable character to the screen.
It avoids the Bourne like choreography and sits in a bit more realism ala JW.with its combat style.
Good cinematography and some wonderfully creative directed scenes make this a wanna watch. I won't say must see but certainly an enthralling and entertaining ride.

4/5

BojackHorsefella

I wanted to see that and just never made it to the theater. Good to hear it's enjoyable.

BojackHorsefella

Used my MoviePass today for the first time. Went and saw American Made, which I enjoyed for what it was. But boy, this MoviePass thing is awesome

Crewe

thought American Made was good. Wasn't accurate but close enough for a movie.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, I mean, for what it was, the changes worked. I did like that they changed the inciting incident at the end from an article to a photo (definitely checked out the Wikipedia entry after, I had never heard of Seal's story).