News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

oh yea? You shut read up on him if you're into that culture. Me? I love that stuff. Mark Bowden's book on Escobar was phenomenal (Blackhawk Down too) but doesn't touch on Seal much, if it all.

rollntider

BojackHorsefella

Thor was outright hilarious. Plot takes a bit of a backseat to the jokes and acting, but that's fine. If you enjoy the Marvel movies you'll definitely enjoy this one and it's definitely far superior to the other two Thor movies.

thaima1shu

Agreed, I thought it was amazing. Incredibly funny and entertaining throughout. I enjoyed the first two Thor movies, but this one was a huge step up I feel like.

rollntider

Sakura

Finally a Thor movie that wasn't bland and uninteresting.  Red Letter Media was right, I can't remember anything that happened in Thor 2.  I do remember the first one, though.

TheNorm

What some of the others have said: Ragnarok was really good and well done. Funny and well-paced throughout. Not quite sure I'd put it on a level with the first Thor (which I really enjoyed), easily miles ahead of the second one which was okay but forgettable.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

OMG I CAN'T WAIT

...well, I can a little bit because I know at the end of the Infinity War movies this ensemble cast goes bye. But damn, I can't wait for this or Black Panther (which drops in February).
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Tickets already acquired for Thursday night...I can't f'ing wait.

BojackHorsefella

Mine too. That last shot of Cap...goosebumps.

BojackHorsefella

So...........who's all going tonight?

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on April 26, 2018, 12:39:47 PM

A few days late since I was out of town and too lazy to login on my phone, but I did...and Friday night too. :)

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on May 01, 2018, 08:57:41 PM
Quote from: Bucfever on April 26, 2018, 12:39:47 PM

A few days late since I was out of town and too lazy to login on my phone, but I did...and Friday night too. :)

I have to wait two years for the crowds to thin so my girlfriend can go before I go see it again.

rollntider

me and the kids will head there friday i think.

Crewe

So uh I know Ive mentioned this here somewhere before never received closure, so Im trying again.

Training Day
Call this a plothole observation if you will, but I have questions. A friend recently commented on this movie recently and it opened up an old wound as Ive never been given a satisfactory explanation for the following, and Ill spoiler tag this just in case....
Spoiler

Alonzo meets his team on a parking garage rooftop. He introduces Jake and then instructs on of his guys to obtain picks and shovels from police maintenance and emphasized that he sign them out properly.
They proceed to Roger's abode and tell him he's being taxed, when we know Alonzo is robbing him to pay off the Russians.
Immediately after, the guys tear up his kitchen floor with said tools and meanwhile Alonzo is constantly smoking, putting out butts all over the floor. This seems benign but wait...
Once they skim his stash, they plan to leave the rest for "evidence" as a result of their serving a warrant.
Now, Alonzo kills Roger, sets up Hoyt for it and to make it look good, he shoots his own team member which was planned, but accidentally misses the vest. So they get their story straight and call it in, "officer down" which we all know brings a shitstorm of cops in seconds.
So here's my problem(s):
Who, pray tell, will Alonzo say dug up the floor? He cant say he did it, because, when would he have achieved that feat? According to the "story" the gang enters, Roger shoots a cop, Jake kills Roger, and they phone it in immediately.
If he says Roger dug up his own floor...well, why, first of all. Secondly, why are Alonzo's Kool's all over the floor.
Then there are the tools his man 'signed out" which have no role in this as far as I can tell.
Any rookie cop would smell a rat instantly in my mind.
Ive had people tell me it was Roger who did the digging, so the story would go, but they cannot elaborate.
Alonzo has crooked connections and we know, per the restaurant scene, corruption is wide spread. However, an officer down call with such a high dollar seizure is going to be under a microscope by the brass and even Alonzo doesn't have the scope to cover that mess.
So, tell me what the hell so I can get some sleep.