News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

rollntider

Orange is the new black season 2... recommended.....

Not as dark as OZ, I dont think women are as evil as men.... ;)

Crewe

OITNB is more lighthearted, but I like it enough.  It's not near as serious as the book, although it did have humorous instances.

Bret

I have adopted a new television policy that I am very happy with...

I absolutely refuse to watch any show until it is concluded!

Why? You may ask...

I am sick to death of the rug being pulled out from under me. No one would buy a ticket to a movie theater wondering if they would get to see the entire movie or not, and I am adopting a similar policy toward television. There are many shows that shouldn't have been cancelled when they were, but what pushed me over the edge is when TNT cancelled Men of a Certain Age. That was a great show with a lot of heart. Even TNT admitted it was a great show, but they were cancelling it anyway. That's when I said "Enough! no more! They're never going to get me again!"

Shows I have already been watching are "grandfathered" in. But, from here on out, the TV industry isn't going to get me again!

I have watched a few series now using my new "TV model", with the help of Netflix and/or DVD sets, and it is much better!
-No commercials
-the "cliffhangers" are only as long as I decide they are
-no waiting months for the next season to start
-no idiotic censorship or trimming down for syndication like some shows do later on
-Before I start committing myself to the show I know whether or not the show was allowed to reach a natural conclusion in its own time or if it was prematurely cancelled, so no unpleasant surprises there.

I am MUCH happier watching my TV shows this way. Sure, I have to wait about seven years to start watching a show, but I don't care...the piece of mind of knowing I won't be left hanging to me is well worth the wait.

rollntider

Alcatraz pissed me off, it was a good show and they cancelled it... but Game of Thrones is a must watch now....

True detective is a one season type of show. Season 2 will be its own thing.

Crewe

Ive been a binge watcher since the "24" days.
I like to let a show get a good three or four seasons in before I consider adding it to my qeue.
Some, like SOA, I caught up with and watch after each season ends so I can blow through without stopping.
If I am all caught up, like now, Ill go with a brief run of something like American Horror Story, but usually I will fire up a long running sitcom ala Cheers, The Office, and watch again from beginning to end again until some of my other shows pass me by.

rollntider

i started the sopranos again

TheNorm

Meh, I don't mind watching shows when I actually have time. Although I do have to be choosier about what I devote time to (since I also don't want to start getting into a show only to see it gone after one season), occasionally I'll guess wrong on a show. For example, I thought for sure Hannibal would be cancelled after one season so I stopped recording it on my DVR last year since I didn't have time to watch. Turns out it finished season 2 a couple of months ago and has been absolutely excellent; I hear Mads Mikkelson is an excellent Hannibal Lecter and the series has been great. I'll have to catch up down the road with that one...and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., too.

Still keeping up on 24 this season (Jack Bauer forever), and I've enjoyed MasterChef too. I also can't wait for Season 3 of The Newsroom to get started.

As far as Netflix goes, been watching West Wing on a regular basis-had forgotten just how much I absolutely loved that show.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

norm, thats one reason why i wait for a show to get three or four seasons ahead.  If it's canceled, then Im not vested.  Secondly, it allows me to see if the show holds up, i.e. great first season, but poor second third or fourth.... etc...
Thats why I waited four seasons on Dexter, SOA, GoT, BB and the like.
Plus, I could power through at my discretion   :-)

bigbaldben

Quote from: Crewe on July 12, 2014, 12:50:19 PM
norm, thats one reason why i wait for a show to get three or four seasons ahead.  If it's canceled, then Im not vested.  Secondly, it allows me to see if the show holds up, i.e. great first season, but poor second third or fourth.... etc...
Thats why I waited four seasons on Dexter, SOA, GoT, BB and the like.
Plus, I could power through at my discretion   :-)

I did the same with Breaking Bad.  Plus it was nice that I didn't have to wait to "tune in next week/season."  :D

Bret

I also did it with Breaking Bad, and I'm all caught up with SOA. Watched the first six seasons in about as many weeks.

At first, my policy was that I would wait until it became clear that a series wouldn't be cancelled before I started watching it. But, being left waiting for more with SOA and Breaking Bad made me modify my policy to just wait until the series is concluded.

Last summer, the wife and I watched The Wire all the way through in about a month. A masterpiece of a show, and a great experience of doing the entire thing on ourown terms.

Another thought...before SOA, the last show the wife and I "binge watched" was Treme. It taught me that even HBO isn't above pulling the plug two early. HBO gave the showrunners enough notice and a half-season to wrap up storylines, but three and a half seasons just didn't feel like enough time to tell that story.

Since we have some folks who watched Breaking Bad, I want to put a question out there...am I the only one who was disappointed in the finale? To me, it just didn't have that feel of closure, or maybe something was lacking or missing...I don't know. It just felt as if they could have done better.

rollntider

Quote from: Bret on July 13, 2014, 02:38:52 AM
I also did it with Breaking Bad, and I'm all caught up with SOA. Watched the first six seasons in about as many weeks.

At first, my policy was that I would wait until it became clear that a series wouldn't be cancelled before I started watching it. But, being left waiting for more with SOA and Breaking Bad made me modify my policy to just wait until the series is concluded.

Last summer, the wife and I watched The Wire all the way through in about a month. A masterpiece of a show, and a great experience of doing the entire thing on ourown terms.

Another thought...before SOA, the last show the wife and I "binge watched" was Treme. It taught me that even HBO isn't above pulling the plug two early. HBO gave the showrunners enough notice and a half-season to wrap up storylines, but three and a half seasons just didn't feel like enough time to tell that story.

Since we have some folks who watched Breaking Bad, I want to put a question out there...am I the only one who was disappointed in the finale? To me, it just didn't have that feel of closure, or maybe something was lacking or missing...I don't know. It just felt as if they could have done better.
yes i do agree, it could have been better. I feel they did on the other hand wrap it up, and leave it open for a spin off.

Crewe

I liked it. A bit over tge top though

rollntider

they did a better job than Dexter and Battlestar Galactica.

Crewe

Dexter was hugely disappointing.
The worst of it is that they had it set up for a really solid finish