News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

I haven't spent very much time watching WSOP the last few years, but decided to watch the tournament they call "The Big One", with the $1,000,000 buy-in for the players (started I'm assuming as a tourney for the poker pros instead of the $10K main event that many seem to be able to play in). Anyway, witnessed what may very well be the worst bad beat I've ever seen...ouch.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

that, my friends, is my life summed up perfectly. 

bigbaldben

Quote from: rollntider on July 14, 2014, 12:20:45 AM
Quote from: Bret on July 13, 2014, 02:38:52 AM
Since we have some folks who watched Breaking Bad, I want to put a question out there...am I the only one who was disappointed in the finale? To me, it just didn't have that feel of closure, or maybe something was lacking or missing...I don't know. It just felt as if they could have done better.
yes i do agree, it could have been better. I feel they did on the other hand wrap it up, and leave it open for a spin off.

Couple of thoughts  maybe it could have been better, but given the recent finales of some shows, it could have been much, much worse.  I think Jessie's future is the one thing you can say had lack of closure - I can't imagine it being far from the local psych ward and maybe the writers couldn't either - and maybe they just didn't want to put him there.  But I was satisified with it.  I agree, could have been better I'm sure, but I wouldn't know what to change to make it that way.

Crewe

agreed. it could always be better when you see it even though you don't know what you are expecting.

Bret

If I were writing the finale, I would have had Jesse killed by gunfire, and have Walter end up dying of his cancer.

I felt like the show was, in the later seasons, trying to spin it to how Walter dragged Jesse in to all of this, and basically where ever Walter led Jesse would either follow willingly or somehow be dragged. I'm not trying to defend the Walter character, on the contrary I felt as if he turned into a bit of a scumbag. But, the truth is that Jesse was always in charge of Jesse, and had he never got involved in the meth business at all, be it a manufacturer, a dealer, or a user, his life would have been much better than it was.

I say all of that to make the point that, were the show to go on and were it at all realistic, Jesse himself would be dead within a year or two, anyway, even without Walter around. I've lived in enough ghettos for a long enough amount of time to know that living that life has two endings: either premature death, or prison. Or, in some cases, both.

Quote from: bigbaldben on August 26, 2014, 01:03:29 PM
Quote from: rollntider on July 14, 2014, 12:20:45 AM
Quote from: Bret on July 13, 2014, 02:38:52 AM
Since we have some folks who watched Breaking Bad, I want to put a question out there...am I the only one who was disappointed in the finale? To me, it just didn't have that feel of closure, or maybe something was lacking or missing...I don't know. It just felt as if they could have done better.
yes i do agree, it could have been better. I feel they did on the other hand wrap it up, and leave it open for a spin off.

Couple of thoughts  maybe it could have been better, but given the recent finales of some shows, it could have been much, much worse.  I think Jessie's future is the one thing you can say had lack of closure - I can't imagine it being far from the local psych ward and maybe the writers couldn't either - and maybe they just didn't want to put him there.  But I was satisified with it.  I agree, could have been better I'm sure, but I wouldn't know what to change to make it that way.

rollntider

I think Jesse would had died because of that girl if she had not od'd. It was a matter of time for pink man as long as she was alive

Crewe

I actually think Jesse was closed out pretty well although on screen we were left with a feeling of emptiness because it wasn't as final as the Walter character.
Recall what Jesse had said and done.  He had nowhere to hide, nothing left to bargain with.  Yea he was free from this instance, but before long every door he opened was about to slam shut.  Jesse was cooked, pardon the term of art.

To bret's point, I think Walter did have a hold over Jesse in the sense that Jesse had nothing else and he knew it.
To say he would have been better off without Walter and the meth biz is misleading.  Sure he was in charge of himself at all times but squeezing through a tiny window of what his life was or waltzing through ball room doors with Walter is not an equal choice.
But it is a choice he made and I believe that is what the writers wanted the viewer to experience about him.  Like all of us, reconsidering our decisions and where are in life because of them.
My .02 anyway.

Sakura

The Thick of It starring Peter Capaldi (who would later go on to play The Doctor in Doctor Who) is a pretty good political spin series revolving around British politics.  Very good show, but unfortunately far too short.  The first two seasons comprise of six episodes in total, and all four seasons of the show is 21 episodes in length.  The Malcom Tucker character would also star in the movie In The Loop.

Crewe

Finally got around to finishing Californication. I had that on pause for a couple of years.
Waiting for SOA and Walking Dead to finish up so I can blow through them, and I think True Blood is over, so I will have to finish up the last season there, other than that, I've pretty well exhausted my list.  Ill have to get back to adding to it again.

Crewe

I forgot all about True Blood that I had keyed up so I watched the last season a couple of days ago.
TB sorta went the way of Dexter IMO in that there was a bit of a drop off but TB didn't mail in the final season like Dex.
In similar situations Ill say Im glad I saw it, for closure, since I was heavily invested in the series.  While I really enjoy TB, I really coulda done without this one.
There was nothing over the top that put me off about it, it just didn't keep me reeled in like before.
Watch it if you are up through season 6, but if you are only to season 5, thats a good place to stop unless you are like me and have to see it through.

Hurry up SOA!

Rigg44

Crewe

While waiting for Newsroom and Homeland to finish up their current runs, I decided to fire up The Office...again...for the fifth time...

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 02, 2015, 02:01:31 AM
While waiting for Newsroom and Homeland to finish up their current runs, I decided to fire up The Office...again...for the fifth time...

Love that show, but it's been awhile-need to fire that one up again. Have you checked out Parks & Recreation? That's been one of my favorites of late, I think you'd enjoy that one.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I just can't stay away, the Office is so watchable.
I have not seen P&R. I might have to give it a shot. I initially strayed from it because Im just not a fan of Amy Poehler, I tend to think she is given too much credit. But, since I am running out of things to line up, perhaps I should whisk away my perceptions and go with it...

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 02, 2015, 04:06:16 PM
I just can't stay away, the Office is so watchable.
I have not seen P&R. I might have to give it a shot. I initially strayed from it because Im just not a fan of Amy Poehler, I tend to think she is given too much credit. But, since I am running out of things to line up, perhaps I should whisk away my perceptions and go with it...

Ah, gotcha-absolutely love her, but the cast overall just works great together. Ron Swanson might be one of my all-time favorite characters.