News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on May 14, 2019, 04:25:33 PM
Not to get in your business, but I will....
why do you no longer eat meat? health reasons or otherwise? Im just curious.

Fiancee was a vegetarian while living and going to school on Staten Island. She moved to Myrtle, Myrtle...doesn't accommodate that lifestyle very well, so it was no biggie.

But, moved here to Washington where it's extremely easy to eat a plant based diet, and she returned to her vegetarian ways (well, I should say, pescatarian, she couldn't give up sushi), and I figured I'd give it a whirl and started with the New Year, so, going 5 months strong now.

I did it partly to try something new. I am SUCH a picky eater, I honestly didn't know if I'd be able to hold to it, but we do those Blue Apron meals 3 times a week, and so I got to try a lot of new foods and, honestly, their vegetarian dishes were always better than their meat dishes in style and taste, so that made the transition easier.

I also had a vegan friend at the Comcast store I worked at for a year, and I talked to him about a lot of the stuff which helped me realize just how many options I had, not just in plants, but in substitutes, like Beyond Meat and those products.

So, yeah. Did it, lost weight, quit exercising, still somehow lost weight, although I've reached a plateau at 218, but still. Haven't gained a pound since I started this. My family does have a history of diabetes and heart issues, so cutting out red meat early on probably isn't a bad idea for me anyways.

But yeah. I thought I'd be miserable and it would end in failure, but I've honestly loved it so far. I've always felt a little weird eating meat ("what if reincarnation is real and I come back as a cow," a morally conflicted but self-interested 14 year old Michael used to worry about when going to sleep at night), but now I don't have that issue. And hell, leftovers, I mean obviously I'll save them for lunch, but if it's like, a really small amount, not worth saving, at least I don't have the guilt when I toss it out, haha.

Man, I'm rambling a lot today.

Crewe

Thats interesting.
Im not a picky eater, at all, but could never envision me giving up meat.
No more tacos, no mor pulled pork, are you mad?  :D
When I try to eat healthier, i.e. get in shape again, I think about it, but then just by the nature of eating somewhat healthier, I find I don't eat near as much meat so I never cut it out.

I do often wonder if I should try just to see, but I have serious doubts about making it, hell I can't even not eat so much right now.
My nephew says he won't eat anything with a central nervous system. Does pescatarian fall under that category? I dunno, but I say he's a vegetarian for simplification lol

BojackHorsefella

I think fish don't count, because supposedly fish don't feel pain? I dunno. Or maybe the kid just eats bugs (hey, SafeCo sells fried crickets, it's a thing apparently).

There's so many substitutes, and that helps a lot. Trader Joe's has amazing meatless meatballs. I think Morningstar Farms is the brand we got the last time the fiancee made homemade tacos. It's a lot of soy substitutes for a lot of them, and while they may not taste exactly like what they're subbing for, they're good in their own way.

Quorn has an incredible "stuffed chicken cutlet" with mozzarella cheese and pesto inside. Add some pasta and marinara sauce, and you've got yourself a chicken parm and pasta dish.

Crewe

I had tofu something or other at my nephews one day and I didn't have an issue with it, but I do find those substitutes to be quite expensive.

BojackHorsefella

Tofu is one of the few things I haven't actually tried yet, but I will. I will....

Crewe

With the Dodgers epic collapse, I thought why not list our Top 5 Epic Sports Collapses

This can be one game or a series and it doesn't have to be one registered as a legit all time crater, just one that resonates with you.

1. Greg Norman @ 96 Masters

He teed off on Sunday with a 6 shot lead over Nick Faldo, but ended up losing by 5 strokes. Truly one of the most agonizing sports chokes, and the fact it happened to such a well liked terrific person made it even worse.
Btw, here's a fascinating article on what athletes go through and the psychological and physiological issues that cause defeat.
https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/15091501/how-sports-science-explains-greg-norman-1996-masters-meltdown

2. New York Yankees choke away a 3-0 games lead in 2004 ALCS.
It seems the entire world cheered while NY sank in to a deep depression. Not only losing, but losing to their arch rival? Oh man, how deflating.
I was in Cabo San Lucas for Sammy Hagar's Birthday Bash that year and we were watching this at the bar and as much as I didn't want the Yanks to win, I kept saying there's just no freaking way they will blow this....but they did.

3. 1986 Houston Astros v NY Mets
This isn't akin to the Yanks blowing a 3 game lead, but the Astros certainly collapsed, especially in the late innings, specifically;
Game 3 in NY with series tied 1-1; Lenny Dykstra launches a walk off 2 run HR to win the game 6-5 and avoid giving up serious momentum to Houston.
Game 5 in NY series tied 2-2. Houston won game 4 to regain home field advantage and could really have put their foot on the throat on the Mets but Kerfield gave up another walk off hit in the 12th inning to once again lose valuable momentum.
Game 6 in Houston, Mets up 3-2. This is objectively one of the top 10 or 15 playoff games of all time.
With Mike Scott waiting in the wings for game 7 in the Astrodome, the Mets, despite being up 3 games to 2, were in a dire situation. Down 3-0 in the top of the 9th, they were three outs away from a dreaded deciding game. Starter Bob Knepper had been fabulous on this day but was left in too long. Not a terrible decision considering the late inning surrenders in previous games, but the Mets put 3 against him an supreme closer Dave Smith to tie the game.
In the 14th, the Mets score one, but in the bottom half, Billy Hatcher hits a monstrosity of a HR to tie it up. In the 16th, the Mets put up three more.
In true Astros fashion, they put up two more in the bottom half and with two runners on and two out, Kevin Bass swings and misses at strike three and the Mets move on. This was one of the most heartbreaking series Ive ever seen, and as an Astros fan, it still hurts immensely knowing what could have ben. That was a damn good team, but when you give up 6 runs in the 8th and 9th alone in a series, you can't expect to win, especially surrendering 5 more in extra innings.

4. Scott Hoch @ 1989 Masters
This one sits with me because I was a big time golfer all my life and an avid follower of the game.
Nick Faldo makes a Sunday charge, putting up a 65 to force Hoch out of cruise control. He did maintain though and on the 18th hole he was two feet away from the Master Championship. Two stupid feet. A simple tap in par putt. He got the yips and missed it completely. So bad that he had a there foot putt coming back. He did make that to force a playoff and despite a couple of more opportunities, Faldo overtook Hoch for his first of two Masters. The second? The one over Greg Norman a few years later.

5. 1993 Houston Oilers v Buffalo Bills wild card game.
Justifiably favored, the Oilers with Warren Moon and the run n shoot offense were torching defenses. At the start of the 3rd quarter, Houston intercepts a pass and returns it for a TD and an astonishing 35-3 lead. The QB is backup Frank Reich, not Jim Kelly, this is all but over, right?
The Oilers are actually legit contenders for the first time since the Luv Ya Blue Earl Campbell days, no way they blow this game. It wasn't even a thought.
But soon enough, my celebration was over. I could not and still cannot believe what I just witnessed.

I avoided some of the more obvious ones because these are the ones at the forefront of my mind for various reasons.
Lets hear yours....

BojackHorsefella

As a young boy, I was a Vikings fan.

1998 NFC Championship - Minnesota Vikings vs Atlanta Falcons.

This will be my only contribution to this thread, but I see your ALCS choice, Crewe. -_-

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on October 11, 2019, 03:10:27 PM

This will be my only contribution to this thread, but I see your ALCS choice, Crewe. -_-

Poor Gary :(
And that ALCS choice wasn't a personal dig ;-) and, conversely, I put my tears out there as well lol. :D

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 11, 2019, 03:23:13 PM
Quote from: BojackHorsefella on October 11, 2019, 03:10:27 PM

Poor Gary :(
And that ALCS choice wasn't a personal dig ;-) and, conversely, I put my tears out there as well lol. :D

Honestly, I'm not sure how many I have or even remember that can be an "epic" collapse (and even that Vikings one is ONE missed field goal, but also, that's the reason why it felt epic because it was the ONLY missed field goal that year).

Crewe

I agree. And Murphy's law kicks in....and as a fan, you are begging the announcers to stop talking about it.
I notice how no-one talks about the defense letting Atlanta march down the field and tie the game.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 11, 2019, 05:02:35 PM
I agree. And Murphy's law kicks in....and as a fan, you are begging the announcers to stop talking about it.
I notice how no-one talks about the defense letting Atlanta march down the field and tie the game.

My dad. "It's ok Mike, he hasn't missed a kick all year." I remember it like it was yesterday, right there in that living room. I think I stopped talking to him for a bit, haha. I was like 11.

Crewe

lol thats funny, but certainly not unreasonable on your part

TheNorm

There's a bar I pass by whenever I take the Metra to work, and found the basis for this next one...I can only include the ones I've seen so I'll just get it out of the way now: Spinal Tap is not on my list so save the pearl clutching for something else.  ;)

Top 5 Fictional Bands

5. Eddie & the Cruisers, Eddie & the Cruisers - I think this is mainly because this movie started up on HBO right around the time my family first got cable tv and I watched it a lot. Pretty much also the defining hits for John Cafferty & the Beaver Brown Band.

4. Sex Bob-omb, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - This movie has contenders, including the Brie Larson-led Clash at Demonhead, as well as the Katayanagi Twins...but the band for our bass playing (bassists are the best, duh) protagonist gets the nod here.

3. The Wonders, That Thing You Do! - The movie was alright but this song was catchy. Plus how often do you get to see Steve Zahn and Ethan Embry pretend they're in a band?

2. MouseRat, Parks & Recreation - I fully admit that my love for this show is probably the main reason MouseRat is so high on this list...whatever, it's mine. Either way, with songs like "The Pit" and "5000 candles in the Wind", they deserve to be here.

1. The Blues Brothers, Saturday Night Live/The Blues Brothers - Did you really think I'd have anyone besides Joliet Jake and Elwood Blues on the top of this list? Of course not. Bonus, this movie is a classic.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Are Blues Brothers really fictional?

If so, Ill go with them too, so in random order

1 Blues Brothers

2. Stillwater from Almost Famous

3. Spinal Tap

4. School of Rock

5. Marvin Berry and the Starlighters from Back to the Future

Rigg44

1. Spinal Tap- they go to 11
2. Blues Brothers- on a mission from god
3. Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem- AAAAAAA I am Animal
4. Hong Kong Cavaliers-  No, no, no, don't tug on that. You never know what it might be attached to.
5. Sex Bob-omb- When I'm around you, I kind of feel like I'm on drugs. Not that I do drugs. Unless you do drugs, in which case... I do them all the time.