News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Your Unpopular Opinion

Started by TheNorm, October 09, 2017, 06:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Topic is in the thread title: what's your unpopular opinion? Here, I'll start:

As much as I like Neil Diamond, Sweet Caroline has to be one of the worst songs ever.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

Unpopular opinions, eh?  I'm sure I can excel at this.

Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and several other TV shows to come out within the last 10 years have contributed to the degradation of culture and of the medium, and are low quality crap that never should have gotten on TV in the first place.  I fail to see what was interesting about Breaking Bad, and I slogged through the whole series waiting for "the good part" that people told me was coming, but never did.

David Lynch, while an interesting director who has done some stuff of merit, is not infallible and has made more than a couple projects I would consider terrible.  And the new Twin Peaks was definitely among those terrible projects, the fact that they doubled the episode count for the new series is readily apparent, the pacing was bad, there was so many nonsequitur scenes that went nowhere for no reason other than because he saw them as interesting visual metaphor.  And our hero spends 95% of the series as a vegetable, completely ruining the most interesting and beloved part of Twin Peaks.  The Sarah Palmer scenes were completely stupid.  And the ending was the laziest form of resolution that I absolutely detest in storytelling, not to mention the ending was bollocks.

When you go to the store and you buy something just because you see it on sale, and you didn't need it, you are not saving money by buying it.

rollntider

After watching westworld it was ok. Did not think it was super duper awesome. It was just OK.

Fear the walking dead was terrible. I hated it, I tried to like it. I wanted to like it, it sucks.

I am tired of the Walking dead, I loved the first 4 or 5 seasons, but now I have no interest in it at all. Not sure if it was tied to Glenn or not, but it happened around that time.

Sakura

Quote from: rollntider on October 11, 2017, 04:58:45 PM
I am tired of the Walking dead, I loved the first 4 or 5 seasons, but now I have no interest in it at all. Not sure if it was tied to Glenn or not, but it happened around that time.
That was when a lot of fans basically lost interest in the show, was right when the graphic novel's big bad antagonist (Negan) showed up.  The comic book readers have known for years now what was going to happen, and it's not really the type of stuff that your typical viewer wants to watch consistently, just like Game of Thrones.  People don't like it when characters they like and have some emotional attachment to just get killed without warning or fanfare, and that it's a potential looming threat at all times.  Just pfft like a fart, and they're gone.

TheNorm

I tried FTWD, but the first episode or two were pretty dull and the characters didn't draw me in, so bye. As for TWD...I don't know. Like you, I was into the first few seasons, but the last couple I don't think I really finished. I knew it was coming, just how dark the show was going to get, and in some way I was looking forward to it. But nope, after the first few episodes of last season I just couldn't get into it much further. Got too dark and bleak for me (and to be fair, right around the time in the comics when Glenn got killed is when I lost interest then too).

Some other ones:

Seinfeld is one of the most overrated comedies of all time.
Guacamole is trash.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Sakura

I dunno if this is an unpopular opinion, but in my opinion, Keanu Reeves is the best action star ever.

cflnut

The hype around Connor McDavid and the Oilers is undeserved.
The CFL is more entertaining then the NFL.
Everyone who doesn't finish High School should be made to join the military.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

I agree with you on the CFL > NFL.

M. Night Shyamalan outside of 6th sense hasnt made an entertaining movie. The movie when the aliens were burned by water I fell asleep on 3 times and ended up returning the DVD unwatched by me.  Just a one hit wonder. Overrated and boring movies.

Crewe

Breaking Bad is not on par with the Sopranos or the Wire, get over it.

Baseball is not boring, just admit you don't understand the strategy behind everything involved from throwing over to first to stepping out of the box

I'm not interested in the NFL anymore. It's become Disneyland. Rules invented to hamper defenses so precious QB's can light up the scoreboard. No one knows what the hell a penalty is anymore.

Tom Cruise is a good actor

Millennials know nothing about the prior generations music, movies, other common knowledge and believe they invented everything.

The state of our society is a direct result of a lack of education as well as greed.

Some of those are gripes more than unpopular opinion, but that's life

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 17, 2017, 11:31:37 AM
I'm not interested in the NFL anymore. It's become Disneyland. Rules invented to hamper defenses so precious QB's can light up the scoreboard. No one knows what the hell a penalty is anymore.

You know, I was amazed during week 1. I was excited for Redzone, had it up and ready, and even though I've forsaken Tampa and the NFL has become something of a laughingstock with it's hypocrisies and double standards, I was ready to watch THE GAME, you know?

But, you're right. It's just boring now. Offenses are either great (Atlanta, New England) or downright horrible. There's no in-between.

And yeah, no one knows what a penalty is, or a catch, or a fumble. It's just become hard to watch.

Also agree with you about baseball. I'm so glad I have a pro team nearby now.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on October 17, 2017, 12:25:29 PM

You know, I was amazed during week 1. I was excited for Redzone, had it up and ready, and even though I've forsaken Tampa and the NFL has become something of a laughingstock with it's hypocrisies and double standards, I was ready to watch THE GAME, you know?

But, you're right. It's just boring now. Offenses are either great (Atlanta, New England) or downright horrible. There's no in-between.

And yeah, no one knows what a penalty is, or a catch, or a fumble. It's just become hard to watch.

Also agree with you about baseball. I'm so glad I have a pro team nearby now.

yep, catch and fumble too. Its beyond comprehension that it has become so technical. They will review a play to see if that ball moved a single centimeter while a player had possession, but yet, they still eyeball it when spotting the ball and first down markers.
My nephew had great analogy about all of this nonsense; "If I tossed a toddler at you and he didnt hit the ground, would you say you caught him?"
Of course it was in jest, but point taken lol

Always like to see baseball fans :-)

cflnut

Baseball is not boring, just admit you don't understand the strategy behind everything involved from throwing over to first to stepping out of the box

I find the only way I can watch Baseball is live. Can't seem to follow it on TV.

The CFL is going the same way with their rules.

Millennials know nothing about the prior generations music, movies, other common knowledge and believe they invented everything.

The state of our society is a direct result of a lack of education as well as greed.

I agree.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

Never saw the wire, but I like the sopranos better but i think BB ended their series better. And on time.
I loved Baseball when my son played. I enjoyed the game. I even pulled for the Cubs during the series. I havent been into pro baseball since 95? Around the strike I lost interest and havent been back. I hate the Braves. I will watch some post season but just not into it anymore.
Agreed, I was sorta done last year for these very reasons. Thought about giving it another shot then they went political. I watch sports to get away from politics. Irregardless of your stance on it, I am sick and tired of every thing being an issue to fight over. I want to get along with my fellow americans and be united about something, can't these spoiled morons give us that? I can't even watch the chiefs or cowboys anymore. That hurts being a big Emmit Smith and Derrick Thomas fan. Yes some police abused their power, now go lead a protest at a police station where the police went above the law, raise money for the victims, etc....

A similar analogy is I received bad service at Panera bread, so now I will boycott mcDonalds to show my outrage.  Someone may agree the protests and that is fine that you have that view. I find irony in the fact they still have police protection during games. Me personally the players would have my respect back in a second if they tell the NFL they will not play in a game with police patrolling anywhere around an NFL game. Then I would have no issue with the flag protest if they still carried out that protest.

As for Colin K, I believe he isnt in the NFL because his last 3 years he threw 41 TDs, 19 Ints, rushed for 4 TDs and fumbled 11 times.  45 TD vs 30 turnovers? Sorry dude the game passed you by. You were great for a few years, more than most.

I agree 100%, he may be kooky as hell, but the boy can act. I can only think of 1 or 2 movies he was in I did not like.

Crewe

Quote from: cflnut on October 17, 2017, 05:06:06 PM

I find the only way I can watch Baseball is live. Can't seem to follow it on TV.

The CFL is going the same way with their rules.

I agree.

I can understand people not following baseball on tv, much like hockey.
I don't keep up with the CFL but saddened to hear that.

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on October 17, 2017, 11:23:36 PM
Never saw the wire, but I like the sopranos better but i think BB ended their series better. And on time.
I loved Baseball when my son played. I enjoyed the game. I even pulled for the Cubs during the series. I havent been into pro baseball since 95? Around the strike I lost interest and havent been back. I hate the Braves. I will watch some post season but just not into it anymore.
Agreed, I was sorta done last year for these very reasons. Thought about giving it another shot then they went political. I watch sports to get away from politics. Irregardless of your stance on it, I am sick and tired of every thing being an issue to fight over. I want to get along with my fellow americans and be united about something, can't these spoiled morons give us that? I can't even watch the chiefs or cowboys anymore. That hurts being a big Emmit Smith and Derrick Thomas fan. Yes some police abused their power, now go lead a protest at a police station where the police went above the law, raise money for the victims, etc....

A similar analogy is I received bad service at Panera bread, so now I will boycott mcDonalds to show my outrage.  Someone may agree the protests and that is fine that you have that view. I find irony in the fact they still have police protection during games. Me personally the players would have my respect back in a second if they tell the NFL they will not play in a game with police patrolling anywhere around an NFL game. Then I would have no issue with the flag protest if they still carried out that protest.

As for Colin K, I believe he isnt in the NFL because his last 3 years he threw 41 TDs, 19 Ints, rushed for 4 TDs and fumbled 11 times.  45 TD vs 30 turnovers? Sorry dude the game passed you by. You were great for a few years, more than most.

I agree 100%, he may be kooky as hell, but the boy can act. I can only think of 1 or 2 movies he was in I did not like.

The Wire has as much depth and breadth as Sopranos but is structured and paced differently. It really is a terrific show, but it is a slow burn.

I understand that about politics and sports, but to me, if a man wants to demonstrate a peaceful protest and his employer allows it, fine by me.
What I don't like are these beer swilling rednecks frothing at the mouth about disrespect while their fat ass spends every anthem at the nacho stand