4 tbs Cumin
6 tbs Salt
4 tbs Black Pepper
25 lbs pork loin
5 cans diced tomatoes
5 onions diced

Directions
Makes 100 4oz servings or sandwiches: 
In a bowl mix the brown sugar, cocoa powder, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and rub onto loin until loin is covered.  Set aside for 30 min to marinate.

Sear loin/ prepare cookers.  In a large pan over medium-high heat sear the loin in olive oil.  Mix onions and tomato in roaster or crock pot.  Place the loin on top of vegetables and poor one can of Dr. Pepper in, cook on low for 10hours in a crock pot or 375 for two hours and then 250 for 8 in a roaster. Then remove loin shread and return and mix with juices and serve.

Crewe

I assume pork shoulder / butt would work here?
Never tried cocoa powder, interesting.

Rigg44

Yes Butt and shoulder will work as well

Crewe

Crewe

Im a grilled cheese aficionado and I really enjoy making it for people who just think of it as the Kraft single on white bread you had as. kid.
Learn to add a crown to your repertoire
https://tiphero.com/jamie-olivers-grilled-cheese

All different blends of cheeses, bread and spreads make all the difference. I love making a parmesan crust as well, goes with any combo just about.
Throw in your favorite hot sauce, add cayenne, garlic...oh and try frying in mayo instead of butter for a better toast, or use both.

Crewe

So I was tinkering around with my BBQ sauce recipe and thought about including this blueberry ghost pepper hot sauce
https://heatonist.com/products/ghost-pepper-blueberry-hot-sauce?variant=378243121161

I freakin love hot sauces btw....

Ultimately I left it out of this version because I liked what I had come up with already. maybe next time.
Thought Id share....

BBQ sauce recipe
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar (you can use Apple Cider but I don't like it. If you are giddy, try sherry with lemons but I don't like it either)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbs honey
1 tbs molasses
1 tbs Worcestershire
1 tbs ground mustard (I avoid the mustard because of the processed ingredients but it will work if thats your preference)
1-2 tbs paprika. (I use the same paprika as in my chili which isn't on store shelves and its amazing, but obviously try any kind you like)
Dash of white pepper
Dash of cinnamon (if desired)
These are close measurements but not each as I tend to eyeball.

Mix your dry ingredients in a bowl while heating the wet to a low simmer.
Add the spices, bring to a low simmer again and heat over low until desired consistency.

Crewe

How to make a baked roux, and whether you should use one over traditional methods.
Steve Hall (Shotgun Red) had a cooking channel and in one, he discusses using a dry roux.
My cousin is a traditionalist when it comes to this, so he's a fan of oil and shunned this method immediately.
Steve discusses the fact that oil is only a carrier and adds nothing to recipe which is why you spend so much time skimming oil off the top of the gumbo.
I'll let him tell you...
He talks about oven baking the oil mixture up until about 2:30 minutes.
Until about 5:15 he demonstrates the baked flour method which is what he uses in this recipe.
It's just regular gumbo recipe until 15:23 where he shows the baked roux being developed with broth and added to the dish.
Ive tried it this way once and it was really good, and Ive had one full blown cajun try this and reluctantly agreed that it was a great alternate method.
if you give it a shot, let me know how it goes.

https://www.kansascity-comiccon.com/chicken-and-sausage-gumbo-perfect-roux-every-time-vidwIzf_b5Gy7kHd

Crewe

So, you guys know I enjoy making queso, Mexican salsa's, sauces and the like. I think I've posted some queso recipes before so since I made this today, here you go...

This is a green sauce recipe from the insanely popular Ninfa's in Houston which started out as a taco stand to help with her struggling tortilla factory. Ninfa Laurenzao then began generating word of mouth buzz and by the mid 70's, Ninfa's was the go to for Tex Mex and Mexican cuisine.

Ninfa's green sauce

Servings 4 cups

Ingredients
*3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
4 tomatillos, husked and chopped
1 to 2 jalapeƱos, stemmed and coarsely chopped (use more or less)
3 small garlic cloves (I always use at least 4)
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro (ignore this if you dont like it, not much of a difference maker)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/2 cups sour cream (use as much or as little to achieve your desired consistency. I usually use less, then place in the fridge for a short while to see how it thickens up then adjust if needed)

Instructions
Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeƱos, and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid) but you can stream in a tiny bit of water if needed but not too much, reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until softened.

Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.
Best if refrigerated for a while IMO.

* if you don't have access to green tomatoes, use about 6 tomatillos instead.

Crewe

So I made elote nachos (Mexican street corn) for the second time and man are they the bomb.
When I post recipes, I tend to be flexible, and this dish is supremely easy to alter.
While mixing the ingredients together in a bowl, which is basically all you have to do, I started with smaller amounts because you can taste as you go along. In my opinion, better to have to little and add, then pouring in too much.
If you try this, let me know how it goes.

Ingredients:
3 cups corn (frozen, canned or fresh)
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (or more if you want)
1/4 cup mayonnaise (I go light on the mayo until you see how its looking...more below)
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder (use as much or as little spice as you want)
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika - (same hre)
Juice of 1 lime (half when mixing, half after baked)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 (11-ounce) package tortilla chips (Ive used On the Border and Tostito tortilla chips as well as the Tostitos hint of lime)
1 (8-ounce) package shredded Pepper Jack cheese (can use Colby or any Jack cheese
1 cup crumbled cotija cheese (not necessary but I like it) Ive also used queso fresco
1/4 cup Mexican crema (or sour cream, Ive used both, works either way)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (or parsley or green onions if you prefer)

Directions:
Note: Above are guidelines. This is an easy dish to alter as you go. I dont use a whole bag of chips and you'll see how much you might use. Also, I only use about two cans of corn which I think is just above two cups. As you mix the ingredients in a bowl, you'll be able to tell what you want to add, if anything. Also, its nachos, anything goes lol
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
You can use a wireframes rack or foil in a lightly greased pan
Char corn. I usually throw it in a cast iron skillet until slightly charred. Also throw the jalapeno in there too.
In a large bowl, combine corn, jalapeno, mayonnaise, chili powder, paprika, lime juice and lime zest (if preferred) season with salt and pepper, to taste. This is where you can try as you go, add more spices, more mayo if needed etc. I always go light and add as I go if needed.
Place tortilla chips in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet or wire rack. I thrown down a very thin sprinkle of cheese first but you dont have to because you want a lot to cover the top. Spoon mixture over chips, add garnish cilantro, parsley or nothing. You can do this prior to baking or after but I always trow it in with the garnish.
Place into oven and bake until heated through and the cheeses have melted, about 10-12 minutes.
Serve immediately. Drizzle with Mexican crema or sour cream and if desired, squirt other half of lemon over dish.

Id be glad to upload a pic of these recipes but this website won't let me unless Im doing something wrong.

Crewe

Bumping with a simple recipe I haven't tried for a while, but really enjoy.

Avocado Egg Rolls

Roughly chop red onion, tomato and avocado.
Softly mix together so it doesn't turn to mush.
Add to egg roll wrapper and roll (diagonally corner to corner, not ala a burrito)
At halfway point, wet the unrolled edge with water using your finger.
Some recipes say fry lightly in oil which is fine, but I prefer to bake them.
Simple quick recipe thats something a little different.

Crewe

Ive had several recipes marked in my Sopranos cookbook for a while and finally tried one this weekend.
Im going by memory here...

Rigatoni Sweet Sausage and sauce

In a bit of oil, if desired, I usually dont when browning meat, but I did here;
Brown a pound of Italian mild or sweet sausage once almost done recipe said add 2 cloves of garlic, I used 6.
Also, recipe said to buy sausage as in links, then remove casings, but I just bought it ground already, why bother?
At this point, I added mushrooms because I love mushrooms, however it is not called for in the recipe.
Add 1/2 cup dry wine; all I had was cooking sherry, works fine.
Simmer until most of wine evaporates.
Add a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes. Once added, I crush them with a wooden spoon, recipe says to run through a food mill, but whatever.
Bring to a simmer then lower heat for an hour to hour fifteen until sauce thickens.
Tear or cut as many basil leaves as you want and add in; recipe calls for five, I used a bit more.

During all of this, you should have been boiling a pound of pasta.
I salt the water straight away, get it to boiling, add a solid pat of butter, then in with the pasta.
I used rigatoni per the recipe. Penne would probably work, although I wouldnt go with egg noodles. I mean I guess you could use whatever you want lol.
Which ever way you prepare to serve (see note) now add a half cup of shredded Reggiano Parmasean or some other good aged parmasean. DO NOT USE THAT SHIT IN THE CAN.

Tips:
If you toss your pasta in with the sauce before serving, be aware, this is a lot of pasta so make sure it doesnt bury the sauce.
I buy whole mushrooms and slice them myself, but use them or not.
San Marzano Italian tomatoes are always a win for me. You could use crushed tomatoes but I wouldnt use diced unless it's all you have because I just think it would affect the heartiness of the meal.
Lastly, I didnt have to let my sauce stand that long, but go as long as you want or need to in order to achieve desired consistency.

Crewe

So my most recent archive pull was Seems Like Old Times with Goldie Hawn, Chevy Chase and Charles Grodin. Fun film to watch, really.
There's much ado about the recipe of one of the characters; a chicken pepperoni dish that's to die for, well, that's a bit much but ok.
However, there's no reference to a recipe, so this is just guesswork based off of what we can observe in the film and the rest is supposition.
The character is a latina, so you can deduce that it isnt going to be a straight Italian dish, so here ya go...

First things first, I tend to eyeball some of the ingredients, so use your own judgement if something doesn't feel right or appeal to your taste.
This looks like a lot but it really isn't. Cook the chicken, make your sauce and pasta an you're good to go.
I also butter up and garlic some artisan bread to go along with it, plus a nice little salad because you know, Im health conscious

4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, or breasts if you want
salt and pepper
2 Tbl. butter
2 Tbl. EVOO or canola oil
1/4 cup red wine
1/2 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 red bell pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 can El Pato tomato sauce (7.5 ounces I think)
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. Chili or chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 whole dried red chile pepper (6" long) optional
8-12 oz. whole spicy pepperoni, sliced then cut into matchsticks. I used 8, but thought it needed more, but that may be just my preference.
16 oz mozzarella and provolone (or as much or as little cheese as you want)
dried parsley plus fresh, (optional garnish)

Prep:
Dice onion - use more or less as desired
Chop pepperoni into small cubes or matchsticks
Dice red bell pepper.
Dice red long pepper if using - this pepper is really hot so choose carefully. Dish is great without it!
Shred cheese (please dont use that crap cheese in a bag ;-))
Parse out spices unless you do it as needed like me

A few ways you can begin this endeavor.
I find it easier this way, but Ill list alternatives.

Salt and pepper chicken. Pound out chicken breasts if you are using them instead of thighs.
Add butter oil and chicken to hot skillet, then sear chicken on both sides briefly.
I then baked in a 350 degree oven until done.
*Alternative* Sear in skillet, then set aside. Later, once sauce is done, add chicken back in to dish and allow to finish cooking in oven.
**Alternative 2* Sear chicken in skillet, remove and finish in instant pot.

Whichever method you chose, next;
Remove pan from heat and deglaze with 1/4 red wine. Scrape up the fond and return to med heat.
Add onions and pepper and let cook until quite tender. At same time, add
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Add pepperoni and let cook for a couple of minutes.
After that has all blended well,
Add 28 oz tomatoes followed by tomato sauce.
You could use a tablespoon or two of tomato paste here if you want, but I find the presence to be too overwhelming.
At the same time, add the spices
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder - use any preferred powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. paprika - I used a blend I have for my chili recipe but use any kind you like, except for smoked paprika.
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. Chili powder - I used a different chili powder I like or you could use chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp. white pepper
Bring to a boil then reduce to low and let simmer until it reaches preferred consistency. If it is too thick, add a little water. (I didnt have to add anything)

*If you used alternative method 1Once the sauce is done or near done, you would now nestle the chicken in to the skillet with the sauce, assuming it is oven safe, and cook at 350 until the chicken is done.
**If you used the original or alternative second method, add the cooked chicken to the finished sauce.
You can do this in the same skillet as above if you want. I cooked too much chicken, so I transferred it all to a baking dish.
Cover with cheese and broil for a few minutes until cheese starts to bubble and or brown.
Garnish with parsley if you want.
Serve with pasta. I used spaghetti, but you could use angel hair if you like that sort of thing ;-)