UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

oh you didnt know?

Started by Crewe, January 18, 2018, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on July 10, 2018, 04:40:07 PM
Quote from: Rigg44 on July 10, 2018, 04:31:57 PM
This is old news and you probably do know but Did you know that Kurt Russell and Christopher Walken were originally auditioned for Han Solo?

I think I've heard this, or maybe I'm thinking of Al Pacino or, I think even Burt Reynolds (maybe I'm mixing into Indiana Jones auditions now).

Can you imagine Christopher Walken as Han Solo now? That's just...so weird.

It was Burt Reynolds, and since The Godfather is fresh on our minds, here's another tidbit about Burt turning down the role of Michael Corleone:
Brando said he would quit if Reynolds was involved to which Burt replied with, Im flattered he was upset.

Oh and don't forget Stallone was offered the Solo role as well, yo

Crewe

Big Lebowski coming back to theaters for two days, August 5th and 8th for its 20th year anniversary.
Btw, check in on Fathom events, they bring these great films back all year long. I was glad to have the opportunity to see some in the theatre that were before my time and to see others Ive seen in the cinema 100 times.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on July 24, 2018, 04:16:10 PM
Big Lebowski coming back to theaters for two days, August 5th and 8th for its 20th year anniversary.
Btw, check in on Fathom events, they bring these great films back all year long. I was glad to have the opportunity to see some in the theatre that were before my time and to see others Ive seen in the cinema 100 times.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO kiddo flies home the morning of the 5th, totally would've taken him to see that.

Before I left MB, the local theater there would do "Flashback Cinema." Every Sunday and Wednesday at like, 11 AM I think, they'd show an old movie. Kiddo tells me that the past year they basically just played the same movies as that first year, so at least I don't really feel like I've missed anything. But they'd play Aliens, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade, among others (Oooo, the first Michael Keaton Batman movie too. That was an awesome one to take kiddo to see in the theater).

They were cheaper than Fathom events, but not as big of a selection. The theater must've made a deal specifically for those movies or something.

Crewe

that stinks the kiddo's going back that day....maybe negotiations for an extra day are in order. Certainly a valid reason in miming ;-)
Yea, there's always some culture fest revitalizing older flicks around town, fun stuff.

Crewe

Crewe

I missed the Big Lebowski at theaters yesterday, one more chance, August 8th...

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on August 06, 2018, 11:58:14 AM
I missed the Big Lebowski at theaters yesterday, one more chance, August 8th...

Dammit, I might have to check what time it is here although I think I might be out of luck.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Clue (the movie) shows all three possible endings on VHS and DVD, but in the theatre which ending you saw depended on which location you attended

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on September 20, 2018, 12:10:30 PM
Clue (the movie) shows all three possible endings on VHS and DVD, but in the theatre which ending you saw depended on which location you attended

There was a movie just recently that came out and was not very good that tried to pull this trick. I can't remember which it was. It MIGHT have been that new Unfriended: Dark Web movie but I may be thinking of something else....

Crewe

Ironically, I didnt know that lol

BojackHorsefella

So here's a fun one my fiance told me about last night. Some of you (um, well...Crewe) will probably remember this, whereas I had no freaking clue considering the timeframe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willowbrook_State_School

The Willowbrook State School, which, I'm told, was an inspiration for Season 2 of American Horror Story (Asylum). The school, a real school located on Staten Island, was meant to aid children with intellectual disabilities. Instead, unveiled by an investigative journalist by the name of Geraldo Rivera, it was found out that the conditions were more or less sub-human, the children were mistreated, barely fed, and even experimented upon. Ten years later, the school closed and the children who were too old for foster care just sort of lingered on the grounds or the woods behind.

Additionally, there's a tunnel system underneath (so doctors and orderlies could easily travel through the school when it was functional) that became home to many of these people.

Born from this was the legend of Cropsey, an escaped mental patient who lived in the woods and murdered children. He was often depicted as having a hook for a hand.

However, it turns out Cropsey was much more than an urban legend. Andre Rand, formerly a janitor at the school, was accused of abducting five children and later sent to prison for kidnapping one. Jennifer Schweigert, a 12 year old girl with Downs Syndrome, went missing in 1987. She was found buried in the woods behind the school, and Rand's campsite was found not far away. He was eligible for parole in 2008, but before that, he was convicted on another kidnapping charge. He is now eligible in 2037, when he will be 93.

Honestly, the whole thing is terrifying, but then there's this undercurrent with the tunnels. There was basically a society down there, and it's said to be the site of Satanic rituals. There are those who believe Rand kidnapped the children and passed them through the tunnel system, as tribute to the Satanic cult for their sacrifice rituals. Who knows how real that is, but the whole thing is so unreal it all becomes believable.

I had nightmares last night.

Crewe

I dont think I did know about this institution. I remember looking up those types of hospitals after seeing AHS S2 because it was so fascinatingly disturbing, but if I read about this, Ive since purged it from my memory.
I dont recall reading about this in the 80's so I cant grasp how big of a deal it was by then, but still, man, that's beyond fucked up.

TheNorm

So I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours...I knew about some of the drama behind the scenes of this album, but I didn't know just how much was going on. I only really knew about the stuff between Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham...I just found out that "You Make Loving Fun" was about Christine McVie finding someone new after her marriage with her husband the bassist ended. This album is almost a prime example of why you don't date people you work with.  ;D

I did enjoy the little tidbit that "Dreams" off of that album (the one telling Stevie Nicks' side of the story) charted higher than "Go Your Own Way"...matter of fact it was Fleetwood Mac's only #1 Billboard hit.

On a side note, for any of you that use Spotify on your phone (or PS4), the Genius "Behind the Lyrics" that'll pop up for certain songs is awesome. Quite informative.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 16, 2018, 12:27:48 AM
So I'm listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours...I knew about some of the drama behind the scenes of this album, but I didn't know just how much was going on. I only really knew about the stuff between Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham...I just found out that "You Make Loving Fun" was about Christine McVie finding someone new after her marriage with her husband the bassist ended. This album is almost a prime example of why you don't date people you work with.  ;D

I did enjoy the little tidbit that "Dreams" off of that album (the one telling Stevie Nicks' side of the story) charted higher than "Go Your Own Way"...matter of fact it was Fleetwood Mac's only #1 Billboard hit.

On a side note, for any of you that use Spotify on your phone (or PS4), the Genius "Behind the Lyrics" that'll pop up for certain songs is awesome. Quite informative.

the stories enhance that album and make it better than the masterpiece it already is  8)
For more fun trivia, look up the meaning of "Tusk" lol

Crewe

The 3 Musketeers bar was originally split into three pieces with three different flavors: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. When the other flavors became harder to come by during World War II, Mars decided to go all chocolate.