Started by Crewe, January 18, 2018, 12:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

My favorite chocolate bar, as it were.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 16, 2019, 03:11:16 PM
My favorite chocolate bar, as it were.

lol
I usually switched around my candy bar faves, one of which was 3 Musketeers.
Snickers, Butterfinger, I think the last one I declared the best was Whatchamacallit.

Crewe

BojackHorsefella

Funnily enough, my fiancee actually knew this guy just from bartending in NY.

Crewe

A gender reveal party is a thing? I just learned about this...celebration?
So the doc gives an envelope with the sex of the unborn to a specified person (not husband or wife) then everyone spends an ungodly amount of money on both pink and blue crapola. Then you have the big reveal with confetti guns and all the accompanying excess...seems, unnecessary to me
THEN you still have the bridal shower and all that jazz.....
None for me, thanks

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on April 03, 2019, 05:34:52 PM
A gender reveal party is a thing? I just learned about this...celebration?
So the doc gives an envelope with the sex of the unborn to a specified person (not husband or wife) then everyone spends an ungodly amount of money on both pink and blue crapola. Then you have the big reveal with confetti guns and all the accompanying excess...seems, unnecessary to me
THEN you still have the bridal shower and all that jazz.....
None for me, thanks

It was a gender reveal party that led to the California wildfire this year, or so I read. They like, blew something up and something blue or pink was supposed to come out, but, pyrotechnics plus Cali plus drought.................

Anyways. I'm not one to judge people's preferences, do whatever makes you happy, and outside of the example above, it doesn't cause anyone harm. It seems like an excuse to me to, what, get more gifts (do you do a baby shower AND a gender reveal?) and inconvenience friends, but I'm also a curmudgeon.

Although, it does seem inconvenient when trying to select gifts, but, again, I likely just lack imagination.

Crewe

nah, I took it as exactly that, a cash grab and a way to inconvenience friends

TheNorm

Yeah, that's been going on for a few years now. Friend had a gender reveal party for my goddaughter a few years back...interesting but seems to be the thing now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Completely unrelated note, the song "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera off of the Karate Kid II soundtrack? That was originally written for Rocky IV.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on April 04, 2019, 12:47:35 AM
Yeah, that's been going on for a few years now. Friend had a gender reveal party for my goddaughter a few years back...interesting but seems to be the thing now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Completely unrelated note, the song "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera off of the Karate Kid II soundtrack? That was originally written for Rocky IV.

Did not know either one of those facts

Crewe

I had a frustrating discussion with friends about men v women in sports recently. Ill seriously truncate the minutes of said interaction, however, my detractors were illuminated to something they did not know, and that is this;
While they so lovingly, and tauntingly cling to Bille jean King beating Bobby Riggs in a battle of the sexes match, they overlook or did not know a myriad of other similar instances that does anything but support their argument.
We can discuss all the restrictions the men faced in said matches, but for the sake of brevity:
Bobby Riggs thrashed No. 1 ranked 29 year old (he was 55) Margaret Court months priorate the BJK match. And this is the legendary Margaret Court.
In 1993, five years senior to his opponent, Jimmy Connors beat perhaps the most decorated individual tennis has ever known in Martina Navratilova while only being allowed one serve among other things.
The best is this though, the world famous Williams sisters mouthed off that they could beat any man ranked over 200.
Karsten Braasch, ranked 203, accepted the challenge and easily disposed of both sisters, back to back in the same afternoon.
Afterward, the sisters revised their challenge stating they woud now beat any man ranked beyond 350.

Crewe

Tim Conway passed away at age 85 :-(
He was an excellent funnyman and storyteller like few others, just fantastic. By all accounts a genuine caring individual.
RIP

Crewe

Ran across this article regarding the question, will drinking a hot beverage on a hot day cool you down?

https://zidbits.com/2013/05/does-drinking-something-hot-on-a-hot-day-cool-you-down/

Drinking something hot on a hot day can indeed cool you down, but there is a catch. A study done at the University of Ottawa's School of Human Kinetics showed that if you were to drink a hot beverage in a hot and dry environment, your body will overcompensate for the added heat by sweating, and sweating a lot. It's this excessive sweating that causes your body to cool down, and cooling it down more than if you had drunk something cold instead.

I had this question solved for me many many years ago by the always available, Cliff Clavin (:45)

Crewe

Rise n shine woodchuck chuckers ...it's Groundhog Day!!!

Murray revises his role for Jeep commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnhzGUcENWo

TheNorm

I've watched that at least 5 times today lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

has anyone else noticed that some adds on Youtube are now 6 seconds long?