News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Lyric interpretations

Started by Crewe, March 07, 2018, 02:41:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

thats cool norm. I really like the Stripes quite a lot.

TheNorm

Okay, I'll submit one...damn I loved this song (and the album it came from) when it came out in 92. Loved Natalie Merchant's vocals.

"Noah's Dove" - 10,000 Maniacs

You win a prize for that,
for telling lies like that
So well that I believed it.
And I never felt cheated.

You were the chosen one,
the pure eyes of Noah's dove.
Choir boys and angels
stole your lips and your halo.

In your reckless mind,
you act as if you've got more lives.
In your reckless eyes, you only have time and your love of danger
to it you're no stranger.

In that August breeze
of those forgotten trees,
your time was set for leaving,
come a colder season.

In your reckless mind,
you act as if you're got more lives
In your reckless eyes,
it's never too late for a chance to seize some final breath of freedom.
Very, so very wise.

Don't reveal it. I'm tired, tired of knowing
where it is you're going.
In your reckless mind,
In your reckless eyes,
You only have time and your love of danger
to it you're no stranger.

In your reckless mind,
In your reckless eyes, it's never too late
for a chance to seize some
final breath of freedom

https://youtu.be/xH-y9nubg0k
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

She had what she thought was the perfect fella and was in denial about his cheating but finally came to accept the truth.
Was I close? ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 02, 2018, 01:37:19 PM
She had what she thought was the perfect fella and was in denial about his cheating but finally came to accept the truth.
Was I close? ;-)

I'd agree with this. I'd also say, based on the talk of his recklessness, last breath of freedom and many lives, that it isn't the first time and the man has shown a pattern of self-destructive behavior, including torpedoing this relationship evidently.

TheNorm

Hmmm, I've always thought that was one take of it. I've also found it could be from the view of the writer as well, that she could be talking about herself. You know the phrase 'you tell a lie often enough it can seem like the truth'? Maybe in some way she's believing the lie and in that sense she's no longer cheating (herself? someone else? not sure).

I definitely see the pattern of recklessness and so on could be applied to self too: the self-destructive behavior continues because the person really isn't sticking around for the aftermath; maybe there's something better or maybe that person will just never be satisfied. Whatever interpretation though, I've always enjoyed the contrast between the music and the lyrics: the music feels somewhat upbeat while the lyrics carry a sense of defeat, that there's really no way to fix things.

I've related to this song on more than one occasion.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Thats why I enjoy these conversations. I sometimes dont look deeper than whats obvious to me and this is a good example.
An insightful interpretation for sure, but as I go through it a few more times, I still come back to my original instinct.
Lines like, you win a prize for that, doesn't really gel for me in an introspective manner and just the way its written speaks to me as the writer being the victim of anothers infidelity, emotional or physical.

TheNorm

Yep...going with 10,000 Maniacs again. Same album too.

"Candy Everybody Wants"

If lust and hate is the candy
if blood and love tastes so sweet
then we give 'em what they want
Hey, hey, give 'em what they want

So their eyes are growing hazy 'cause they want to turn it on
so their minds are soft and lazy
Well, hey, give 'em what they want

Well who do you want to blame?

so their minds are soft and lazy.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 15, 2018, 07:34:43 PM
Yep...going with 10,000 Maniacs again. Same album too.

"Candy Everybody Wants"

Well, hey, give 'em what they want

so their minds are soft and lazy.

I dont know this song, but my initial response is that its commentary on social decay and/or desensitivity

TheNorm

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. Natalie Merchant & 10000 Maniacs were your typical college/alt rock band, and she typically tackled some pretty tough topics in her lyrics: child abuse in "What's the Matter Here", mental illness/depression in "Like the Weather", etc.. This song is no different, speaking about society's appetite for sex and violence and the powers that be absolutely more than willing to give it to them. It's a cycle.

I always enjoyed the dynamic of how chipper this song sounds, while the lyrics tell an entirely different story. I really wanted to use the official video for the song when I posted the lyrics above, but it pretty much gives away what the song is about lol. Check it out here.

Crewe

just a quick revival here:

This song received a lot of radio airplay back when and was always a favorite.
Terrific riff with an unambiguous meaning, any idea?

Three Lock Box (3:21)
Sammy Hagar

Suckers walk
Money talks
but it can't touch my three lock box
Ah yea

Mysteries of the days of old
You find the key you got the gold

One two three lock box
One two three lock box
One two three lock box
One two three lock box

Treasures here sunken there
buried treasures everywhere

One two three lock box
One two three lock box

Don't go far circle close
the father, son, the Holy Ghost
to the trinity I raise a toast
ah yea

One two three lock box
One two three lock box
One two three lock box
One two three lock box

Secrets of the trinity lie within the number three
hey
One two three lock box
One two three lock box
One two three lock box
One two three lock box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJjvMsPtKTM

Crewe

The obvious guesses were sexual and I even heard one I really liked long ago which was the Three Lock Box was a guitar case, but, from Sammy himself...

The title was taken completely wrong and I almost had some difficulties with the big store chains thinking it was a sexual thing. But a "Three Lock Box" stands for mind, body, and spirit -- it was also a very valuable buried treasure usually belonging to royalty. When traveling at sea, Kings and Queens would have their valuables in a chest that took three keys to open