News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Cord cutting

Started by Crewe, March 18, 2018, 10:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Anyone else do it yet?
I did and its not great so far, but not for the reasons you think.
To start with, all my services were tethered (Phone, TV, net) and Id call and get promotions every six months so my bill was about 240 total.
100 for the TV with taxes.
So when I called to cancel the TV service, Uverse with ATT, I was told I could but it would be cheaper to keep the very basic $20 package (locals only, no HD no DVR) otherwise my internet would go from 40/month to 70/month and this, for 24 download speed mind you.
The guy kept telling me I have unlimited data though...and of course he didnt speak English well so it was hard for me to get this across, but that was for my phone as I was told previously. he said no, its for streaming.
Fine.
So I took the deal for now and they threw in DTV Now for 10 a month for 3 months which Ill then cancel because it will blossom to 35/month.
Basically Im saving 70/month right now which isn't really what I was after.
I was hoping for a faster internet speed and to jettison tv completely.
I could upgrade to 48 download for 50 ish bucks a month but Im sitting where I am for now.
Whats your experience?

BojackHorsefella

My experience has a lot of caveats. 

When I worked for Comcast I had the highest internet and every channel for just $28 a month. So, when I took the new job; I had to figure something out. .

So now, I have internet with Comcast for $60 (highest tier) and I use PS Vue for TV for $49.95 a month.

Now, I have Netflix, Hulu and HBO Now, but I'm not paying for them. They're either her dad's or my dad's depending on the service.

We also have Amazon Prime with my Prime membership.

Anyways, so I'm basically paying $110 a month for internet and cable. I have all the channels I care to watch and a lot less bloat. Plus, I can watch it on multiple devices.

Equivalent Comcast package would have been...upwards of $145. So, I saved some money but thanks to not paying for other services mainly.

Crewe

I called comcast and they had 60 down for 40/month but a 2 year contract which I don't want.
I saw the Vue had some good stuff but it doesn't have DVR does it? If I sign up for something, DVR is a must. I will not be required to suffer through tv ads. Between Prime, Netflix, HBO free forever and whatever I find on fire stick, I'm good. I can stream sports and can go OTA should I need locals for some reason. YouTube tv looked good to me for 35/month plus DVR should I want a tv service, but I haven't compared it with Vue either.

I guess really I'm ticked I can't get a better internet speed without getting jacked, plus them making me 20 bucks for locals with no hd or DVR

BojackHorsefella

It has DVR.

And I should say, there's an option that's $5 less I think that basically doesn't include MLB Network. But I wanted my MLB Network.

Crewe

so I just dumped what I could.
I need to clarify my data plan because I think theres confusion on my part or theirs and looking at my usage on site doesn't clear it up.
My phone data and internet data is tethered I think, but I cant discern how much internet data I use which means I cant decide if another plan would be cheaper.
Pain in the butt

Crewe

so now that Ive moved and acquired internet service, thus far I think its a much better deal than I had previously.
65/mo, no contract for life, 75 down, 10 up with 1 TB of usage and if that is exceeded which I can't imagine it would be, service is only slowed with no overage charges.
I did have only 24 down and 4 up for 50/month.
So far so good...

Crewe

Maybe its just me, and I don't keep up with this industry daily so I may be wrong, but it seems to me, streaming ala cart services may be pricing themselves out of service, sending folks back to cable.
I was on DTVN for 25 a month in the grandfather clause but they jacked that up $15 bucks, so I cancelled them.
I really don't have anything now, just Netflix and Prime, oh and HBO via my phone's data plan. Anything else I need, I find, elsewhere, but its rare.
Ill sign up for Showtime or something with the free trial to watch something specific, then cancel, because what I see are all these packages closing in on the $50 mark. Many people are opting for multiple services due to the channel packaging which defeats the entire purpose for leaving cable.
I refuse to spend that much but then I don't watch regular tv either. I sign up for things like Sling etc when I see good promos and hang for a month or so and Im able to find what I want without much issue at all. As of now I don't see myself going back unless the scales tip dramatically again.

Crewe

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so I thought this was the best place to discuss internet speeds.
Ive been checking my specs lately, and am upgrading to 80-100mbs tier from 60-80 tier. Its going to cost me about $7 bucks so what the hell, Ill give it a try since I plan on streaming some football games this season.

I have one or two sites I normally use, but I checked out about 7 of the most popular sites because I was bored.
I ran about 3-4 tests per site and found that my speeds ranged from 77mpbs on one site, to 39 on another, to 63, to 71 to 44.
My conclusion? I have no freaking clue, except maybe Im being throttled? Who knows? I get the feeling once I get bumped up, my speeds will probably average around 60-70
Plus, my tests are all wireless because my laptop doesn't have cat 5 input option, and who the hell uses those things nowadays anyway?

Since this is a cord cutting thread, Ill take the opportunity to say I ditched DTVNOW and have replaced it with, nothing. All I have is NF and Prime and I dont miss the bullshit at all. I find it interesting though...this steaming ala carte hipster cord cutting thing? I think its blowing up in the consumers face.
When I bounced, I was paying $77 for every single sports channel and a few movie channels.
Now, Sling, Futbo, Vue, YTTV etc....are all north of $50 per month and even more when you start adding options which is how most every service operates.
I checked out from DTVNOW because it offered me nothing I wanted and they raised the price, even on grandfathered users like me. So when I went from paying $28 to almost $40...yea, see ya later.
Honestly, I think cable might go back to being the better option, and soon.

rollntider

I am using sling for football. Will drop it after 2 months and try YouTube tv. Will drop it all after basketball is over.

Crewe

So Playstation Vue is shutting down in January and Im nt sure where Im going net.
Seems most options are $50 bucks which is not bad considering Im paying more than that for Vue.However I did sign up for only two months anyway because I dont want to put out that much for ever.
I might go back to YTTV or Sling for a while, but I think Ill just go without for now.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on January 05, 2020, 07:06:54 PM
So Playstation Vue is shutting down in January and Im nt sure where Im going net.
Seems most options are $50 bucks which is not bad considering Im paying more than that for Vue.However I did sign up for only two months anyway because I dont want to put out that much for ever.
I might go back to YTTV or Sling for a while, but I think Ill just go without for now.

Dude, same! I hate it! I loved my PS Vue!

Fiancee refuses to give money to YouTube, which is understandable considering how they seem to promote conspiracy theories and white supremacist content, and I didn't like Sling's offerings, so we'll probably be going Hulu + Live TV

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 05, 2020, 07:36:27 PM
Quote from: Crewe on January 05, 2020, 07:06:54 PM

Dude, same! I hate it! I loved my PS Vue!

Fiancee refuses to give money to YouTube, which is understandable considering how they seem to promote conspiracy theories and white supremacist content, and I didn't like Sling's offerings, so we'll probably be going Hulu + Live TV

yea PS Vue provin a good swath of channels and content.

I must be way out of the loop here, how so?

BojackHorsefella

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2019/09/10/youtube-doesnt-just-welcome-conspiracy-theorists--it-gives-them-awards/#2624a0c40f41

One quick example. There's also an ongoing discussion about their video recommendations pushing radical content via the algorithm. 

Crewe

That appears to be YT in general, not YTTV, unless I missed something.

But yea, these people are just making bank off of the ignorant, uninformed, racist etc population because they can.
I mean who couldn't? I could jump out there with a "news" site and say shitthat I know would gather views, but having a brain, morals and a conscience prevent me from doing so.

Crewe

I have no OTA and PSVue will be out of service on the 30th.
I have to find a way to watch the Super Bowl, the only one in some time Ive really wanted to see lol Go figure.
Ive already run the trail on YTTV and Sling so no more freebies.
Watching sports on Sling in the past was tough because of the moire and blur. Any ideas on other services?
Where els will it be shown?