UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Life Thread

Started by BojackHorsefella, May 14, 2018, 07:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: cflnut on May 19, 2018, 04:49:45 PM
Congrats Buc on your engagement.

This kind of topic has always interesting especially when it's told from a individual's point of view. As being the non-american here I my be to give a different point of view as to how America was seen during the pre-internet years.

That sounds absolutely fascinating. Please do! I'd also love to hear about life in general up north as well!

cflnut

Overall I would say that Canada and the United States are pretty similar. Both countries have developed at the same rate and, for the most part, we both share the same advantages. Albeit Canada does pay a higher cost for some of those. Life in the two countries is still, overall, the same.

To get a better understanding I'll do a bit of a comparison between different areas of each country. This will just be a generalization comparison of how the people of each province can be viewed if it were from the U.S.A. And yes I am stereotyping here, but I do not mean any offence by it, I'm just trying to give an overall perspective.

Also before I get started here let me just state that Canada, as a whole, has no distinct culture of its own. I'll expand on this later.

Starting on the west coast there is British Columbia, which would be more related to Washington or California with possibly a little bit of Oregon thrown in. Because the city of Vancouver is use as kind of an "Every Town" by a lot of Hollywood productions. People from here tend to have a "Holier than Thou" attitude. Partially because they might have once served some celebrity a triple cream chocolate latte at a Starbucks once, and now think they are best friends because they got a selfie with them.

Next comes Alberta, and Saskatchewan. Also known collectively as the Prairies. Alberta and Saskatchewan are more the "cowboy" provinces. So more or less they would be similar to Montana, Texas, & Oklahoma. Saskatchewan has also been compared to Green Bay, or at least as far as their football teams go. These two provinces are also the most opposed to most types of change. An example of this is the reluctance to admit that climate change is happening.

Moving on we have Manitoba, and the easiest way to describe it is to think of the one state that everyone forgot about in geography class and that's pretty much it. Another way of looking at it is, the one place that, unless you're from there, nobody ever wants to live, or even go there.

Ontario can be broken up in three different ways, based on the three major cities there. First off Hamilton, also known as Steeltown. This is the grab your lunch pail and go, working class type city. Easiest comparison would be Michigan, or Detroit to be more specific. Next there is Toronto, the business capital of Canada. More or less New York. There are a lot of people from here who believe that Toronto should be part of the U.S. and not part of Canada at all. Finally there's Ottawa, the political capital of Canada, or in comparison Washington D.C. and I'll leave it at that cause I think it's self-explanatory.

Then there's Quebec, and the reason why Canada has two official languages. French is the primary language here and if they remember they'll speak English. Just think of the one state that the rest of the country doesn't want around, and is constantly bitching if they don't get their way, and you've got Quebec.

The four Maritimes provinces are next. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island are easily comparable to Maine or New Hampshire. Also part of the Maritimes is Newfoundland. With this one it's hard to compare with anyplace within the U.S. as they are more akin to Ireland than anywhere else. They also have their own language there, so unless you're from there you might not understand them.

Finally there are three territories in Canada. Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut. For the most part the rest of Canada tends to forget about them. The closest comparison I would say is Alaska. You know that their there but you don't really care.

I hope this helps as to giving a generalized idea of what different parts of Canada are like. As for myself I can only speak to what life in Alberta is like as I have lived my whole life here. I have traveled and met people from different parts of the country but can't truly speak as to what life may be like outside of Alberta. All I can offer is this "stereotype" comparison.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

BojackHorsefella

Oh man, that's good to know about BC. I keep planning to go to Vancouver to see a hockey game but totally forgot to this season. Ah, maybe next year. I'll also have to keep an eye out to see when a movie is being filmed. That'd be cool to go and see too.

Crewe

Id love to go to Vancouver to see a hockey game.
When I was growing up, you'd always here if X happens Im going to Canada or if Y is elected Im moving to Canada.
I always thought, what's wrong with that, why is it considered a bad thing? Always seemed close to America to me, not only literally lol

thaima1shu

Vancouver is great to visit for the food. Specifically, they have some of the best Chinese food on the entire west coast. Richmond in particular.

Crewe

I would have had my house paid for in 12 years.
I say would have because today I signed a contract selling it off.
Financially, this was not a wise decision, but the thing is, I wanted a new start and am not really happy here.
So since I have to work till I drop dead no matter what, I might as well find a place I like just a little better.
I cant afford anything much better which makes it an even more questionable move but the hell with it.
If it turns out to be a bad decision, it will just be another in a lifetime of bad decisions. if not, it will begin a streak of good decisions.
I have till the 15th to find another place to live. This should be interesting.

BojackHorsefella

I moved across the country about 2 weeks after flying out to get an apartment. Do what you gotta do, Crewe.

Crewe

yea, its done.
the buyer will lease my house back to me for the rest of June, hoping I can find something and close by then, but if not, Ill just rent somewhere although moving twice will suck.

BojackHorsefella

This is going to be some off-the-rails thinking, but I DO wonder:

What's the effect of the "save game" option in video games these days on kids? Let me explain a little.

I was playing Super Punch Out on the SNES the other day and I am AWFUL. I am SO BAD at this game. And, there's not even really a difficulty setting, I don't think, it just ramps up with each fighter.

So, I'm thinking how did I do this as a kid? And, of course, the answer is practice. On all those NES games, most Sega games, I think, if not all, and a decent amount of SNES games, you either had to just become so good at the game that you can beat it in one setting or that was that. Yes, eventually we got password saves (remember that? Jesus, Phantom 2049 on SNES had like, 30 character passwords. It was the worst. Even Madden on the Game Boy had a password save system for playing a season).

Anyways.

So, with games these days having the option for far lower difficulty levels and for allowing you to save wherever and whenever you want (in a vast majority of games. Uncharted and Bioshock: Infinite are two more recent games that used a checkpoint save system, but Uncharted is VERY generous about where it saves and I think Bioshock was too, although, admittedly, I did not play much of the third game).

It may seem silly, but if you got a game as a kid (whether you bought it with allowance money or maybe your parents bought it for you), you felt a commitment to that game. So, you put in the time, you put in the work, and you got to the end. Sometimes, you didn't beat the game. I made it to the final level of Darkwing Duck on the NES ONCE, ever, and I lost.

That was a badge of honor though back then! It wasn't about "did you beat this game," it was as simple as either "how far did you get" or "what was your final score," if it was a game with scores (think Donkey Kong or Pac-Man).

Am I just an old man yelling at clouds, or is there a possibility that, psychologically, the proliferation of the save state across video games has led to a more gratification-oriented experience vs genuine gameplay? (except for those who seek it out, obviously. Looking at you, Dark Souls players).

Thoughts? Elaborations? Objections?

Crewe

First off, I love the fact you call em kids and refer to yourself as an old man lol

But yes, I agree with you in the satisfaction aspect of completing a game, or not, as the case may be. There were many a game where I just said fuck it, and quit playing because I couldn't beat it. Id trade it with friends who would give me games they completed and the like.
However, I also agree with the game save feature as it would be treacherous to start some of these games over from the beginning.
I even found myself bitching once because I had a hard time completing a portion of a leg and died then was taken back to the beginning of the segment. "I have to do this again, really?"
Until now, I haven't given it much thought. I don't really think it ties in with the "everybody gets a trophy" culture I despise but its an interesting conversation.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on June 21, 2018, 01:41:35 PM
First off, I love the fact you call em kids and refer to yourself as an old man lol

This is usually where people say "I'm an old soul," but I hate that phrase.

I just feel older and more traditional than my 31 years of age.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on June 21, 2018, 09:03:41 PM
Quote from: Crewe on June 21, 2018, 01:41:35 PM

This is usually where people say "I'm an old soul," but I hate that phrase.

I just feel older and more traditional than my 31 years of age.

nothing wrong with that at all. I was just picking at the fact a young man was calling others kids, its what us older fellas giggle about lol

TheNorm

Like Crewe, I think it's an interesting point that I haven't really given much thought to. Ultimately to me save points are convenient (I wish Top Gun for the NES had it because I've only beaten the game ONCE in the decades I've owned that game), and as far as games go I think it's more about the individual user.

Like you mentioned, Buc, when you buy a game you feel a commitment to that game (then AND now, IMO). But my addition to that is once someone purchases that game it's their individual choice to decide how they want to play it, because ultimately it's their game and they should play in whatever way brings them the most satisfaction. For every one person that plays a game on easy just to get through the story, there's another person that will run that game on ultra super badass mode because they can't have it any other way. Cool either way.

Definitely an interesting talking point, though, and it does crack me up a little bit that we look at all the conveniences that "the kids" have now...because I know damn well our parents/teachers were saying the same thing about us when we were younger too. My parents used to joke that they had kids so they had someone to stand by the tv to change the channel, now you kids just have your damn remotes.  ;)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on June 22, 2018, 12:47:22 AM
Like Crewe, I think it's an interesting point that I haven't really given much thought to. Ultimately to me save points are convenient (I wish Top Gun for the NES had it because I've only beaten the game ONCE in the decades I've owned that game), and as far as games go I think it's more about the individual user.

Like you mentioned, Buc, when you buy a game you feel a commitment to that game (then AND now, IMO). But my addition to that is once someone purchases that game it's their individual choice to decide how they want to play it, because ultimately it's their game and they should play in whatever way brings them the most satisfaction. For every one person that plays a game on easy just to get through the story, there's another person that will run that game on ultra super badass mode because they can't have it any other way. Cool either way.

Definitely an interesting talking point, though, and it does crack me up a little bit that we look at all the conveniences that "the kids" have now...because I know damn well our parents/teachers were saying the same thing about us when we were younger too. My parents used to joke that they had kids so they had someone to stand by the tv to change the channel, now you kids just have your damn remotes.  ;)

This cracks me up because it's true. When I was a kid, I had to get up, walk over and change the channels. It's like it was another lifetime. No pizza delivery, no cable, having to stand in the kitchen to talk on the phone, cash was king, everywhere!
And norm, it is interesting with the parents. Even just a few years ago, I'd talk to my mom about when she was a kid and what her mom bitched at her about lol
Man, talk to anyone who grew up in the depression, you'll appreciate everything, immediately, or at least you should. My mom would tell me tales about going to the outhouse at night and having to hit the seat to clear away any spiders. Things are pretty good here, comparatively. 😎
Not sure where I was headed but I'll stop here 😬

Crewe

So, 2017 was the worst year I have had in some 15 years or more probably and I was looking forward to getting it behind me.
Dealing with my mom's estate, a breakup, business falling off, friends not being friends, shitty house and even my bowling suffered as well lol Nothing was going my way.
I had high hopes for 18 though.
Over the breakup, estate handled, ditched my shitty house, bought another one more me, and although moving sucks canal water as we all know, I was eager to get beyond these first few weeks and months to getting settled in and also diving in to my new hobbies.
But it wasn't meant for happiness to settle on me for long.
Last night I discovered a friend that worked at my bowling alley passed away suddenly the day before. Always in a good mood, always interested in how things were with me, shared interest in music, and now he's gone.
Its me so you know it gets worse...
My wonderfully happy lovable 8 year old dog was diagnosed with cancer today. Well, most likely cancer they said. Ill have to have more tests to be sure, which I will do because he's worth at least that much.
But I am beyond devastated. Worst part is, Im convinced he's knows somethings up because of my reactions and behavior all the sudden.
Seriously, fuck 2018 and fuck my life, I absolutely hate it, again.