UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Do You Remember.....

Started by BojackHorsefella, September 18, 2018, 05:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on June 26, 2019, 12:42:34 AM
Quote from: TheNorm on June 26, 2019, 12:14:01 AM
Heh, I remember when call waiting was a luxury to be added on. When my parents finally added it on (back in 87, 88 maybe?), felt like the Jeffersons lol. They probably just got tired of my sister and I tying up the line. Second line was unheard of until the parents got a computer in the mid-90s and figured it was easier to have a line strictly for the dial up. Learned early on though how to properly talk on the phone, which I think those growing up now don't pick that up as a skill since texting is preferred.

I feel the same way though, I'd rather text now and I try to avoid talking on the phone at all costs.

Not once have I been able to have a meaningful conversation via text. its fine for when and where type stuff and one liners, but Ive been in trouble more than once because all tone and intent is lost in translation and the next thing you know you're arguing on the internet, basically lol
Agree completely! Text is great for quick messages but not for "real" conversations.  Just like these boards, all intent or subtlety is lost without face to face conversation.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on June 26, 2019, 05:18:57 PM
Heh, I remember when call waiting was a luxury to be added on. When my parents finally added it on (back in 87, 88 maybe?), felt like the Jeffersons lol. They probably just got tired of my sister and I tying up the line. Second line was unheard of until the parents got a computer in the mid-90s and figured it was easier to have a line strictly for the dial up. Learned early on though how to properly talk on the phone, which I think those growing up now don't pick that up as a skill since texting is preferred.

I feel the same way though, I'd rather text now and I try to avoid talking on the phone at all costs.

Not once have I been able to have a meaningful conversation via text. its fine for when and where type stuff and one liners, but Ive been in trouble more than once because all tone and intent is lost in translation and the next thing you know you're arguing on the internet, basically lol
Agree completely! Text is great for quick messages but not for "real" conversations.  Just like these boards, all intent or subtlety is lost without face to face conversation.

I think a forum like this is a few rungs up the ladder from texting or say, tweeting, but yea, I do agree. Tone, intent and the like surely get lost or inferred incorrectly, but it does lend itself to a more detailed conversation. Just my opinion though

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on June 26, 2019, 08:53:05 PM

I think a forum like this is a few rungs up the ladder from texting or say, tweeting, but yea, I do agree. Tone, intent and the like surely get lost or inferred incorrectly, but it does lend itself to a more detailed conversation. Just my opinion though
Agree that these forums provide more context than texting but all written word is subject to the same shortfalls, be it email, forums, text or an old fashioned written letter.  None of those can convey meaning or intent the same way the spoken word can.  If they could we would have candidates submit their thoughts in written form rather than holding debates.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on June 27, 2019, 11:36:00 AM
Quote from: Crewe on June 26, 2019, 08:53:05 PM

Agree that these forums provide more context than texting but all written word is subject to the same shortfalls, be it email, forums, text or an old fashioned written letter.  None of those can convey meaning or intent the same way the spoken word can.  If they could we would have candidates submit their thoughts in written form rather than holding debates.

After watching the debates last night, I might be willing to accept this as an alternative despite the pitfalls that have been described. :D

Crewe

Remember when you could watch a sporting event and there would be zero graphics on the screen? I mean absolutely nothing, not even a station watermark.
If you didnt live back then it will probably seem really weird to you. hell I find it weird now and it was normal back then.
I do hate the tickers though, always have from day one.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 05, 2020, 07:09:21 PM
Remember when you could watch a sporting event and there would be zero graphics on the screen? I mean absolutely nothing, not even a station watermark.
If you didnt live back then it will probably seem really weird to you. hell I find it weird now and it was normal back then.

I do, and yeah, looking back at clips from sporting events back then it just looks weird now. Had no way of knowing the score or how much time was left other than the occasional pop-up and what the PBP and color guys were telling you. That was fine if you were watching at home, but if you were at a restaurant/bar where ambient noise becomes an issue, forget it.

To add on to that, watching older hockey games and seeing absolutely nothing on the dasher boards.

I don't mind the ticker, though. Never bothered me, I like the constant updates and honestly after a little bit I hardly notice it's there.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 06, 2020, 09:45:14 AM

I do, and yeah, looking back at clips from sporting events back then it just looks weird now. Had no way of knowing the score or how much time was left other than the occasional pop-up and what the PBP and color guys were telling you. That was fine if you were watching at home, but if you were at a restaurant/bar where ambient noise becomes an issue, forget it.

To add on to that, watching older hockey games and seeing absolutely nothing on the dasher boards.

I don't mind the ticker, though. Never bothered me, I like the constant updates and honestly after a little bit I hardly notice it's there.

lol lord yes!
And more recently, remember when we didnt have corporate feces laundered all over the college bowl games? And sports arenas had real, meaningful names, instead of corporate names

Rigg44

If you didn't live back then it will probably seem really weird to you. hell, I find it weird now and it was normal back then.
Hell yes, I do. While the clutter can be annoying at least you don't have to wait for a commercial to get the score lol

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on January 06, 2020, 05:13:01 PM
at least you don't have to wait for a commercial to get the score lol

Haha, I remember the times we'd be getting ready to leave the house and you'd try to do "one last check" on the game. "Come on, go to commercial already. I have to leave, I just want to know the score."

Granted, "back in those days" it was my parents trying to leave the house and me just waiting by the door like "so are we going...."

Crewe

If you didn't live back then it will probably seem really weird to you. hell, I find it weird now and it was normal back then.
Hell yes, I do. While the clutter can be annoying at least you don't have to wait for a commercial to get the score lol

lol to be fair, we still dont need that clutter since we have these pocket computers

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 06, 2020, 05:17:24 PM
at least you don't have to wait for a commercial to get the score lol

Haha, I remember the times we'd be getting ready to leave the house and you'd try to do "one last check" on the game. "Come on, go to commercial already. I have to leave, I just want to know the score."

Granted, "back in those days" it was my parents trying to leave the house and me just waiting by the door like "so are we going...."

yup!

Crewe

Remember that sweet spot of the internet? That time just after it sorta blossomed but before it became so freaking toxic.
People were actually exploring it together and having fun, being nice to everyone?
Now? Shit, forget it.
Thats why I like it here because even if we disagree everyone is chill and respectful.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 22, 2020, 12:02:06 AM
Remember that sweet spot of the internet? That time just after it sorta blossomed but before it became so freaking toxic.
People were actually exploring it together and having fun, being nice to everyone?
Now? Shit, forget it.
Thats why I like it here because even if we disagree everyone is chill and respectful.

Lol yep, and I also think you could say there were multiple points when that took place. First when you had AOL/Compuserve ruling the roost. Then message boards (remember how chill MM was before things went apeshit? 🤦🏽‍♂️). Then FB and Twitter. All had a nice little grace period until you got to find out just how toxic and nuts some people could be. FB might've been the most jarring of all since then you'd realize it was certain friends and family that could truly be that way (I'm sure I've pissed off my fair share too, not innocent).

This place is unique, almost like it's stuck in a different place and time. I dig it.

And going back to the whole MM thing...pretty sure it's close to 20 years when most of us started there (or at something similar to it). Yikes.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

MM holy crap lol
Man, so crazy when the hammer fell over there.

Great points about FB and Twitter.
I abandoned FB years ago and was only on Twitter because it was more sane, but not now, it's getting just as bad and hard to avoid the BS, even if you dont follow any of the shit disturbers.
I browse IG now but rarely post, only because its the least of the toxic social media apps I can tolerate.
Im still on Twitter for now....but its just really hard to miss the crapola.

You mention finding out about friends via FB etc...what bothers me the most is just how uninformed so many are, its just plain hatred.
Every single response is basically, I know you are but what am I?
Yea, ok, bye.

BojackHorsefella

Yeah. I sneak onto Facebook from time to time, just to see what some of my friends are up to (the ones who aren't also on IG, anyway). It's amazing how I see some of my friends go out on their way posting on random facebook pages and responding to randoms who disagree with their point of view. How much time do you spend a day arguing solely for the sake of arguing on social media? Why? What's the fucking purpose?

But, yeah, I don't miss it. I thought I would, and yeah, having IG helps a bit. It's still owned by Facebook and that sucks, but at least my feed is pretty much just photos of landscapes, pets and my friends/family. No bloat.

Twitter I've severely reduced to only following like, literally 5 people, and still things seep through, or I find myself looking at trending topics, which is always a shit show and further deepens my disappointment in humanity. Ah well though.

I was never on MaddenMania, I was on MaddenPlanet though before BSB. I got banned by Andy over there at some point, but I couldn't tell you why (I think I spoke up when he went on a mass banning spree, but who even knows anymore).