News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2019 Season

Started by Crewe, February 28, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

TheNorm

Less than a year after the Boston Red Sox won the World Series, GM David Dombrowski is out of a job. Not a fan of the guy but wow is this a quick trigger.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/09/boston-red-sox-fire-dave-dombrowski

Meanwhile, Tigers GM Al Avila, with the team the first to 100 losses this season, is still safe.  ::)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on September 09, 2019, 10:40:26 PM
Less than a year after the Boston Red Sox won the World Series, GM David Dombrowski is out of a job. Not a fan of the guy but wow is this a quick trigger.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/09/09/boston-red-sox-fire-dave-dombrowski

Meanwhile, Tigers GM Al Avila, with the team the first to 100 losses this season, is still safe.  ::)

honestly, I get this decision. He wasn't a long term builder and the team is now suffering for buying that championship with their future.
To me, it was a shortsighted decision to hire him for that specific reason in the first place. That alone told you you would end up in this undesirable position.
Thats what I loved about watching the Astros build during their 3 100 loss seasons. They were edging towards something long term, a team that could contend for quite a few years, and we should.
the guy did just what he was supposed to, but Boston can't blame him, only themselves for their current position.

Crewe

100 wins 3 years running.
Coming from 3 100 loss seasons, this is quite enjoyable but man, this is probably going to be the toughest post season ever to muddle through for this team.
Yankees are top tier, Twinkies have been hanging tough all year along and what the hell with the A's? I mean, I knew they weren't bad, but I didn't think they were 95 wins good, holy shit.
NL doesn't bother me too much unless its LA again because they know each other so well, and not to mention, 100 plus wins there as well.

TheNorm

I really don't want to be part of a world where the Blues win the Stanley Cup and the Card win the World Series in the same goddamned year, so go Washington and go Houston I guess.

That Dodgers collapse was impressively epic. 
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 10, 2019, 10:26:27 PM
I really don't want to be part of a world where the Blues win the Stanley Cup and the Card win the World Series in the same goddamned year, so go Washington and go Houston I guess.

That Dodgers collapse was impressively epic.

lol gee whiz

That Dodger collapse was something to be sure. I was so hoping the Astros wouldn't fade like LA and Atl.

Crewe

this post season is taking years off of my life.
Astro bats need to wake up, and soon.

Looking further, Im really in a quandary. If the Astros don't make the. WS, the Yankees will obviously be the best and most deserving team.
In the NL, if the Cards make it, well, I have an issue with that as a lifelong Stros fan. If the Nats win, I suppose I can pull for them.
Bottom line, if my guys dont go, its not going to be a great WS for me

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on October 14, 2019, 10:22:58 AM

Looking further, Im really in a quandary. If the Astros don't make the. WS, the Yankees will obviously be the best and most deserving team.
In the NL, if the Cards make it, well, I have an issue with that as a lifelong Stros fan. If the Nats win, I suppose I can pull for them.

The Stros and the Nationals have the most former Tigers on their teams, so I'm pulling mainly for those two. If both of those teams make the WS then I can happily sit back and watch. I get that you can't (lol), and I'm pulling for you.

If it's those other two...well, there's plenty of other sports for me to pay attention to until next season. No offense intended Buc...

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 14, 2019, 10:45:35 AM
Quote from: Crewe on October 14, 2019, 10:22:58 AM

The Stros and the Nationals have the most former Tigers on their teams, so I'm pulling mainly for those two. If both of those teams make the WS then I can happily sit back and watch. I get that you can't (lol), and I'm pulling for you.

If it's those other two...well, there's plenty of other sports for me to pay attention to until next season. No offense intended Buc...

LOL I get it :D

BojackHorsefella

West coast plus cool job means I can watch from work.

Unless MLB doesn't have a backup umpire available, but hey, that'd never happen for a post-season game.

BojackHorsefella

This reminds me of those early 00s Angels teams that just owned the Yankees every postseason.

This series is over.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on October 15, 2019, 07:09:36 PM
This reminds me of those early 00s Angels teams that just owned the Yankees every postseason.

This series is over.

Are you mad? Yankees scare the shit outta me.

And the Nats...holy crap, only thing that comes to mind is that song from Jerry Reed, well son, when youre hot, you're hot

TheNorm

Whew. I can watch this World Series and be content either way...as long as I ignore the fact that JV, Scherzer, and Anibal Sanchez were all former Tigers at the same time and it still wasn't enough for my team to snag a World Series ring. Yay!

Helluva finish to that Game 6 though. Wow.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on October 15, 2019, 10:50:03 PM
Are you mad?

It would appear, Crewe, that I am very sane after all, haha.

I'll be rooting for the Nats, but only because it'd be cool to see them win their first. I hate that the Stros have our number, but they're one of the more respectable organizations and rosters in baseball so I wouldn't be upset if they won either.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 20, 2019, 10:33:55 AM
Whew. I can watch this World Series and be content either way...as long as I ignore the fact that JV, Scherzer, and Anibal Sanchez were all former Tigers at the same time and it still wasn't enough for my team to snag a World Series ring. Yay!

Helluva finish to that Game 6 though. Wow.

Hard to imagine all those guys on one team norm.  :(

My heart can't take much more!