News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Fan theories

Started by Crewe, September 10, 2019, 01:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Seems I'm in a cycle of killing threads and dead posts but let's see if this has legs.
Put forth any fan theory regarding any character(s) and/or film.

Ill start with;

Eric Stolz as Stoner bud in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
He played an unnamed high school pothead friend of Jeff Spicoli. It's not clear what grade Stolz's character is in but it's safe to assume they are juniors or seniors, or at least the age of juniors or seniors.
Crowe's book that spawned the movie was in San Diego but it's never defined where exactly Ridgemont is in California. Again, safe to assume it could be in the numerous small towns or suburbs within the 2 hour travel span between San Diego and LA.

Fast forward to Pulp Fiction (1994)
12 years later and Stoner bud would be 28, 29, 30 years old which isn't a big leap at all considering Stolz was only 33 at the time.
Well within logical geographical parameters, age appropriate and most certainly within range of reasonable character growth. The fact he was unnamed in Fast Times lends itself perfectly to his Pulp Fiction character of Lance who isn't even hindered with a last name, opening the likelihood up even more.

Stoner bud is Lance.

Fun fact about Fast Times: The hot chick that laughs at Brad while at the stoplight in his fast food uniform....Nancy Wilson of Heart fame and future wife to Cameron Crowe.

TheNorm

Ooh, I like this, and never heard of that one! And Nancy Wilson was married to Cameron Crowe? Damn...
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Is anyone on board with the Ferris Beuller fan theory that Cameron imagines the entire film while lying sick in bed? And that Sloan is a girl he has a crush on and Ferris is a version of himself not afraid to talk to her.

Its fun to consider, but I just enjoy the film

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 05, 2020, 07:04:20 PM
Is anyone on board with the Ferris Beuller fan theory that Cameron imagines the entire film while lying sick in bed? And that Sloan is a girl he has a crush on and Ferris is a version of himself not afraid to talk to her.

Nope. Just seems to me like looking for way deeper meaning than what's already there, but that's just me. One of my favorite 80s movies too. :)
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 06, 2020, 09:47:27 AM

Nope. Just seems to me like looking for way deeper meaning than what's already there, but that's just me. One of my favorite 80s movies too. :)

I agree, just let it stand  :D

BojackHorsefella

I've heard this. I think it's mostly just "trying to be clever," because I don't think there's anything in the film that actuall supports this reading.

Rigg44

Nope just mental masturbation. Someone trying to find deep meaning in something just meant to be fun.