News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Top 5 Thread

Started by TheNorm, July 30, 2017, 07:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Top 5 most commonly hated teams

I was going to list this in the normal fashion, but I think many of us would have the same selections, but perhaps our reasoning and points of view would be different. Maybe this should be a discussion in another thread but lets try it here.
Instead of everyone listing five, Ill list one and give thoughts. Anyone else, chime in on that one, and/or post another of what you feel the rest of the five would be. To be clear, this is not your most hated, but a team you think most sports fans hate and why.
Again, this may not be the best format for this type of thing, but lets give it a go. Ill start with...

1 Dallas Cowboys
From my experience growing up, this team was hated because of two reasons, but one was directly related to the other.
The Cowboys were on TV all the time, I mean all the time. If you weren't a fan, I could see it getting old, quick. Add to that, back then, there were only three channels, not counting PBS and the two UHF ones. Secondly, highlights were a huge deal back then and NFL films was the shit. IIRC, it was on one of these in the late 70's a narrator deemed Dallas America's Team and the base was incensed. So there ya go.
Fast forward to the 90's...everyone hates Jerry Jones, including Cowboy fans. He bagged Landry extremely unceremoniously and then his Grand Canyon ego couldn't handle Jimmy Johnson getting a lot of the credit for the winning (which he did deserve btw) and of course, everyone hates a winning franchise. Add that dumb ass Okie Barry Switzer to the mix (who I will blame until the day I die for single handedly costing the Cowboys a very solid chance at 3 in a row) and you have a recipe of hatred rarely matched.

TheNorm

Yep, absolutely without a doubt, f--- the Cowboys, f--- Jerryworld, and a big ol' F--- Jerry Jones too. I hated the America's Team title and they seemed to pick up bandwagon fans anywhere you go. Typically people grow out of the things they hated when they were young...not this team. Sure some of that hate might come out of jealousy for their success like you mentioned (and I think a lot of teams that will end up making this list have a good amount of it), but really...f--- Jerry Jones. *on a side note, it'd be awesome to find a middle finger emoji for this place*

I'd love to add one and I have a feeling this may be a consensus pick, but...it's 2am and I've been up 21 hours so we'll pick this up when I'm a little more awake (unless someone else contributes first of course).
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

haha yup! agree.

That first game, good lord, when they focused on those stripper cages, Jesus Jerry, seriously? Its not WWE!
Then they boast about how his wife went through such a painstaking process to select top of the line art for the stadium, I was, and still am wondering what the fuck. Can you imagine a beer swilling redneck standing there with a sausage hanging out of his mouth with nacho stains on his shirt admiring a million dollar piece of artwork?
And that firkin screen! Good lord, he made a mockery out of the NFL stadium. And th worst part of it is, the way its designed, opponents said you can hardly hear the crowd on the field which completely renders home field advantage moot. The old Texas Stadium? Sumbith, you were certainly feeling the fans there, that place shook as it should.
So yea, essentially, fuck Jerry.

TheNorm

Okay, here goes...

2. New York Yankees

You could pretty much copy the reasons why this team is one of the most hated teams ever from both Crewe and my previous post, they just about all apply. Put Steinbrenner in place of Jerry Jones, and there you go. Annoying fanbase? Check. I think the only time I'd ever rooted for the Yankees in any form was in the movie *61, and their fanbase was predictably annoying there too.
I'm not a big fan of schadenfreude, but I'll almost always crack a small smile when these guys falter...and yes, when I saw the 16-1 beatdown the BoSox administered last night I smiled a bit.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

*61 was such a fantastic flick, I felt it never gt the recognition it deserved.
As for the Yanks, I really enjoyed it when Boston came back from 0-3 to sweep em in the playoffs.

BojackHorsefella

I was going to do the Yankees so I could make a passive aggressive post about how everyone only hates them because they're successful, but I thought I might get jumped, haha.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on October 09, 2018, 03:24:36 PM
As for the Yanks, I really enjoyed it when Boston came back from 0-3 to sweep em in the playoffs.

*61 IMO is one of the best baseball movies period; I feel like it didn't hold back on a lot of the hell Maris went through.

As for that '04 ALCS, not only did we get the satisfaction of the Yanks falling due to one epic comeback...it was just damn good riveting baseball. Only games 3 & 7 were blowouts, and that Game 4-6 stretch, wow. Yanks up 4-3 in the 9th with the greatest closer we've arguably ever seen up on the mound? Everyone outside of Boston had to think it was over. It was some of the most fun I'd had watching baseball that didn't involve a team of my own...until the Cubs finally pulled it off in 2016 anyway.

*EDIT* ...and I'm so glad MLB finally wised up a few years ago and started letting their clips and games end up on YouTube. Some good stuff on there.

BojackHorsefella

He didn't deserve otherwise, but there is something to be said that Mariano never caught flak for the BoSox series or the Diamondbacks series in '01.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on October 09, 2018, 07:20:16 PM
He didn't deserve otherwise, but there is something to be said that Mariano never caught flak for the BoSox series or the Diamondbacks series in '01.

Absolutely. I don't recall an ill word said about Mariano in either case.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 09, 2018, 07:07:05 PM
Quote from: Crewe on October 09, 2018, 03:24:36 PM

*61 IMO is one of the best baseball movies period; I feel like it didn't hold back on a lot of the hell Maris went through.

As for that '04 ALCS, not only did we get the satisfaction of the Yanks falling due to one epic comeback...it was just damn good riveting baseball. Only games 3 & 7 were blowouts, and that Game 4-6 stretch, wow. Yanks up 4-3 in the 9th with the greatest closer we've arguably ever seen up on the mound? Everyone outside of Boston had to think it was over. It was some of the most fun I'd had watching baseball that didn't involve a team of my own...until the Cubs finally pulled it off in 2016 anyway.

*EDIT* ...and I'm so glad MLB finally wised up a few years ago and started letting their clips and games end up on YouTube. Some good stuff on there.

I agree with all of this, and but, you would not have been jumped lol speak freely ;-)

BojackHorsefella

Honestly, are there bad baseball movies? I guess John Goodman's The Babe is probably the closest (and, well, ignoring sequels. Looking at you, Major League 2, whatever the second Bad News Bears movies is called, and freaking direct to video Sandlot 2).

But yeah, 61, Moneyball, Field of Dreams even, I can't get enough. I do still need to see The Natural (I know) and Bull Durham (I KNOW) and For Love of the Game (I...know??), but yeah.

I think the best part about 61* was how unexpected it was, even for an HBO movie. Top that with Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane in their primes, great performances and they just happen to look nearly identical to the real guys? Please.

Best thing Billy Crystal ever did.

Crewe

yea, I thought they both did an outstanding job as did Crystal. His love of the game is what ensured it to be a well done film.
For Love of the Game is one I didnt want to like because of Costner. I just dont like how he gets all the sports roles, but I have to give it to him, he is a good actor.
Bad baseball movies? Good lord yes! Angels in the outfield, the rookie, the scout, Ed, Little Big League, The Babe....the list goes on but I get your point.

What I love most about Bull Durham is that it was written by a minor league ballplayer who was in A,AA,AAA ball, so this film is a really good depiction of those players and the leagues.

TheNorm

For Love of the Game was surprisingly good, even with the formulaic romance story attached to it...I'm finding Kevin Costner is comparable to Nickelback in a way for a lot of people: they can't stand him but even then there's a few of their stuff they don't mind (even if they won't admit it). I like Costner, even if he was the only guy in Prince of Thieves that was unable to speak with an English accent.  ;D

Buc, as for those 3, I'd say The Natural is one I'll stick around for anytime it's on...Bull Durham I'm meh with (more personal preference) but it's still worth watching (didn't know it was written by a minor leaguer either, that's new to me).

Crewe

I agree about Costner, although I like him better than Nickelback lol
Bull Durham, Tin Cup, For Love of the Game, liked him....Mr. Brooks, not quite so much.

TheNorm

Getting this back on track because I have another topic lol...

3. Los Angeles Lakers

They buy their players, bandwagon fanbase, good amount of success, blah blah blah. Funny thing about the NBA though, there's a couple others I considered putting in this spot: the Boston Celtics, who I absolutely despised in the 80s because the Pistons had to go through them, and the Chicago Bulls because Michael Jordan was a whiny little bitch that said disparaging things about the Pistons when they finally got past them. But they've both been kind of irrelevant for a long time now (although the Celtics are coming back).

Next...