UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

The Boys
S1 & 2

Im not a huge super hero movie (tv) fan as you may know. I like them, and a few years ago I did watch most of the MCU films to get caught up so I could enjoy the last couple in order, but still, I think it's overdone.
The Boys. You know what it's about so I'll spare you.
The nuts and bolts; I liked S2 more than S1.
And here's the nitpicky stuff, and I dont know why, but zeroing in on these things cancels my immersion.
I seriously dislike the super quick cut fight scenes. It's used to cover up the lack of athleticism from the actors, I get it, and I dont know the answer. Get better actors? Because if you dont do those tight shot quick cut scenes, you get to see the full Jackie Chan like shots, which are great, unless it's Drew Baryrmore's wire work in Charlie's Angels. Not sure which is worse.
I digress.

In the interest of brevity, Ill just say, it was entertaining. Not overly though and I probably wouldn't suggest it to anyone that wasnt a super hero fan because it is quite campy while trying to take itself a bit too serious IMO.
Spoiler
I did really like the tone of S2 along with the message seemingly swiped right out of today's social and political happenings.

3/5

Haunting at Bly Manor

I really enjoyed Haunting of Hill House and wasn't disappointed with Bly Manor.
Spoiler
Can anyone recall when telling a story via flashbacks and including different realms became a thing?
I pride myself on being able to keep up with stories like this but I was quite dumbfounded fora bit during this run.
Where's the McGuffin? Watch for the slight of hand, beware of jump scares. Be ready to call BS on cliche jump scares and other horror tropes.
During all that, I was mystified.
Sometimes, a story can be so spiraling and abstract, Ill just say the hell with it, I'm out. That didn't happen here. Good storytelling kept me interested and the acting was quite good despite several actors with limited experience.
I'm tired and this is all I can remember, so watch it, and tell me what you think.

4/5

bigbaldben

Quote from: Crewe on October 18, 2020, 01:09:55 AM
The Boys
S1 & 2

Im not a huge super hero movie (tv) fan as you may know. I like them, and a few years ago I did watch most of the MCU films to get caught up so I could enjoy the last couple in order, but still, I think it's overdone.
The Boys. You know what it's about so I'll spare you.
The nuts and bolts; I liked S2 more than S1.
And here's the nitpicky stuff, and I dont know why, but zeroing in on these things cancels my immersion.
I seriously dislike the super quick cut fight scenes. It's used to cover up the lack of athleticism from the actors, I get it, and I dont know the answer. Get better actors? Because if you dont do those tight shot quick cut scenes, you get to see the full Jackie Chan like shots, which are great, unless it's Drew Baryrmore's wire work in Charlie's Angels. Not sure which is worse.
I digress.

In the interest of brevity, Ill just say, it was entertaining. Not overly though and I probably wouldn't suggest it to anyone that wasnt a super hero fan because it is quite campy while trying to take itself a bit too serious IMO. I did really like the tone of S2 along with the message seemingly swiped right out of today's social and political happenings.

3/5

Thanks for not spoiling anything - I'm a couple episodes into season 2.  I am a big superhero movie fan and even some of the tv stuff.  So I'm guessing I'm not this show's target audience, but I dig it.  Karl Urban is fantastic; Judge Dredd, Riddick, Star Trek and even liked his take on Skourge in Ragnarok but not sure he isn't at his pure best here.  Not much of a fan of the gore and twisted sex but almost has to be there in a world that lets Homelander exists.  I am interested in how they keep him at bay.  Still a little more than I'd like my kids to see but now school and things are opening up I hope to have a shot to plow through season 2.

Crewe

damn, I thought I spoiler tagged that but I did a strikethrough instead. Glad I didnt accidentally spoil anything  :o

TheNorm

IMO the two best tv shows last year (and the beginning of this year I suppose) were The Good Place and The Mandalorian. With TGP having run off into the sunset, that leaves only Mando as the returning show...and the first episode of season two hit Disney+ today. Without spoiling anything...this season is gonna be fun. What a way to start off Season Two.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

When will the complete season be released? I wont watch until then

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on October 30, 2020, 11:22:14 PM
When will the complete season be released? I wont watch until then

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Not sure if it's an 8 or 10 episode season, but should wrap by the end of the year? Dammit need people to discuss that have seen the first season lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Oh I have seen the first season, just wont watch the second until it's completed. so fire away  :D

TheNorm

Nah but I want to discuss the second season too lol. I won't spoil anything, I shall chat about it elsewhere lol

Crewe

Crewe

I have time for a quick drive by but wanted to alert you to Queen's Gambit.
I'm sure you've heard the buzz. Ill refrain from hyperbole, but will say emphatically that it is worth a watch.
Casting was spot on here, so well acted. The art direction was top notch in recreating the vibe and feel of 60's suburbia and even though the topic is chess, something many of us, or speaking for me, know little about, the series doesnt outsmart you with the story, is not haughty or high brow so I would certainly give it a watch.
7 episodes, it's a one and done thing, easy breezy and you'll be a better person for it.

Later.

Crewe

I dont know why, but every couple of years, I catch up on The Walking Dead.
Same reasons I guess I kept up with GoT, Dexter and True Blood.
Good shows that turned into cash grab vehicles, or in Dexter's case, corporate interference.

The storytelling and directing are so weak in this series, it just seems like patchwork.
There are some decent character arcs mixed in with some good long term story narratives, but holy crap, everything else in the middle?
How do shows like this survive?
I know I know, because of guys like me, right?

The obvious music cues, the cliche close up jump scare plots...a protagonist is traipsing through the woods all cautious like then stops because they sense something even though the director just gave us a 360 degree pov showing nothing.
Camera continues to swing and BAM, bad guy two inches from the face of the character. Never heard a thing.  :popcorn:
It's just laziness and a desire to get everything in the can so they can piece it together with scotch tape, roll it out and collect their millions.
That's just one absurd example mind you, but this show is just littered with nonsense like this.
The pacing is awful except when we have our midseason finale and season finale...why ever the living f*%k
we need that Ill never know, the ubiquitous near death battle followed by a perfectly healthy non gimpy participant who's just fine now, minutes later.
New people come to camp and within one episode for some reason, one or more of them are suddenly camp elders because....? I dont know. They killed others without a story behind it, because they needed a shock scene for the ending?
It's just absolute crapola, and yet, here I sit, watching it, again.
Ok, not all of it. I fast forward through most of the so called heart to heart shit between basically non essential characters because, a) it's the exact same conversation that's been had for years by hundreds of other vanilla characters just like these and, b) the writers are trying to get you to care about them in these two or three minutes because they are about to die in the upcoming battle.

So don't watch this nonsense if you havent and if you have, dont, Im paying for sins here.

TheNorm

Lol I gave up on TWD years ago, a bit after Negan burst onto the scene. Show just got too dark (even for me), and combine that with all the other shit going on in the real world I didn't need to take up any more hours seeing the worst that humanity could do. I was reminded of something either the writers of TWD (the comic, although maybe the tv series too) or someone connected closely to it said: ultimately, the zombies aren't the biggest enemies...it's your fellow human beings. That stuck with me.

Similar reasoning for why I just couldn't get too much into Man in the High Castle either. That alternative reality stuff is typically my jam...but when real life starts looking a little too similar I don't need it as much. It's not really escapism if the shit's trying to happen in your backyard...I said what I said.

Crewe

that's certainly a true enough quote, for TWD and reality.

Right now, I'm just out of things to watch.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on November 30, 2020, 11:39:29 PM
that's certainly a true enough quote, for TWD and reality.

Right now, I'm just out of things to watch.

Queens Gambit!

And if you've got HBO, you have to, HAVE TO, watch How To With John Wilson. It's hilarious and yet, strangely wholesome. Think "Nathan For You."

Crewe

Ive run through Queen's Gambit, but never heard of the other two