News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

id like to hear what you think of S3, I liked it.

CBS, really? I swore off network shows decades ago because of what I call CSI tv.
Maybe Ill give it a look if you think its worthy.
Thanks!

BojackHorsefella

We both like Christina Hendricks (both because of Mad Men and uh, obvious other reasons) and Rhetta from Parks and Rec, and with the quarantine it was worth giving it a shot. I like it, I think any fan of Ozark would like it as well. Great cast, Matthew Lillard is great as the husband to Hendricks. Definitely worth a look, despite the CBS aspect.

Crewe

maybe I will then. Always looking for something new.

I remember the days when my queue was so full, I thought Id never finish it, but for about a year now Ive been pretty flush.
I mean there's tons of docs and a few films, things like that that are always there but, otherwise, Im looking for new stuff.

Crewe

GLOW Season 3

I dont know what happened here. Suddenly, meaning season 3, GLOW became directionless.
Straying and disappearing plot lines are accompanied by statements about society and mores, which isn't a bad thing you understand, but thats completely void of what Season 1 and 2 were about, altogether.
The actors are strong and timing is good which carries the show somewhat but it just cant over come a big nothing.
By episode 7, I was tuned out, honestly didnt care what happened, because whatever it was, it was going to be meaningless.
And I wasn't disappointed.
If you watched the first two seasons, just pretend the show was canceled.

TheNorm

Now here's a fun little exercise: Presenting The Ringer's Best TV Character of the Century Tournament. Voting for each round ends each day at 6pm ET.

Also: vote for Janet.

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/3/30/21197143/best-tv-character-of-the-century-bracket-intro-round-1
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: Crewe on March 29, 2020, 03:13:32 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on March 27, 2020, 10:44:13 AM
Watched the first episode of High Fidelity on Hulu last night, starring Zoe Kravitz. Promising, really enjoyed it-feels like the Nick Hornsby novel.

keep me posted. but IM so tuned in to Cusak's version which wasn't all that long ago, really soon to be rebooted to me, but nonetheless, for those reasons, I simply will not give it a chance unless you guys just rant and rave about it. Or I watch everything else under the sun ;-)

Ozark Season 3
I dont know what you have seen so I won't spoil Season 2 for you.
Marty, Wendy, Charlotte and Jonah are back for more. Incidentally, I thought the S2 ending
Spoiler
was really well done and open ended in case the show wasn't picked up for another season. Cant say the about season 3 lol

I have always enjoyed Laura Linney and certainly Jason Bateman prior to this series but man, they are both so tuned in to these characters, it really makes for a tension filled ride.
Janet McTeer (Helen Pierce) wedges her way in to the fold a bit more which is good for me since I love her character as well.
She is almost a mediator between Marty and Wendy as the show almost splits in to two different series, one for Marty and one for Wendy.
It's really well told and periphery characters have strength and a place in the series, all except for maybe Three (Carson Holmes) who is merely a brief plot device.
I'd be remiss if I didnt mention Julia Garner's Ruth who is on full display with her accent and rural characteristics.
She has perhaps the biggest development arc and Garner plays it perfectly believable. She, as part of the Ozark well known cursed family along with her cousin Wyatt (who has quite the arc in his own right - my reaction omitted for spoiler purposes) and the aforementioned Three.

Season 3 has a huge story revolve around Wendy's brother, Ben (Tom Pelphrey) who, it won't hurt to tell you, is bi polar.
At first, I think he's just an insert for attention purposes, but it actually becomes quite a revealing and supremely well acted plot point that (potential spoiler maybe)
Spoiler
ended up being far more material than I thought.
and for me, he does one more thing.
Nudge me bacak in to Wendy's corner a little bit. I say that because you see, while I love Laura Linney and she makes Wendy so condescending, so infuriatingly maddening that it worked. I hate her character.
Every single thing in S3 is her fault. Everything. And she still blames Marty. It's a level of narcissism between the two that is a searing force in the plot that just makes me combust, almost.

And now, the problem with binge watching...how long do I have to wait for season 4?? lol
In any event, give this a look, highly recommended. All seasons are on Netflix and all are equally good, although I do like two and three better.

Guess Ill go finish up GLOW now  ???

just finished season 3..... WOW..... not a fan of Wyatts story arc, but Ruth I loved her story....but

Spoiler
a little upset that Marty did not avenge her beat down

rollntider

Also finished You on netflix..... very good show that was Dexter like sorta... different premise, this dude is disturbed, but pretty good.

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on March 31, 2020, 12:44:21 AM

just finished season 3..... WOW..... not a fan of Wyatts story arc, but Ruth I loved her story....but

Spoiler
a little upset that Marty did not avenge her beat down

haha, I like the Wyatt character. Genuinely had sympathy for him, but like you, I didnt really like that path. However, I can say, eat least it had meaning to the story.

Re: your spoiler
Spoiler
I thought that was a great way to display how well Marty understands the situation. It ultimately did buy into that TV revenge trope but still, it wasn't empty.
But with Marty, it was almost like Dr. Melfi in the Sopranos, not telling Tony about her rape in order to get revenge. Both were acts in self preservation. Melfi saves her conscience in the order of a high moral center and Marty acts to save himself and his family.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on March 29, 2020, 04:14:31 PM
We both like Christina Hendricks (both because of Mad Men and uh, obvious other reasons) and Rhetta from Parks and Rec, and with the quarantine it was worth giving it a shot. I like it, I think any fan of Ozark would like it as well. Great cast, Matthew Lillard is great as the husband to Hendricks. Definitely worth a look, despite the CBS aspect.

So, I gave this a peek yesterday, and I bailed on the first episode. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but to me, just the way it was filmed and directed just screamed paint by numbers tv.
Perhaps Ill get back to it when Im a bit more on the cheerful side, I was kinda ho hum after just finishing GLOW, so maybe that had an effect.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on March 31, 2020, 01:27:18 AM

So, I gave this a peek yesterday, and I bailed on the first episode. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, but to me, just the way it was filmed and directed just screamed paint by numbers tv.
Perhaps Ill get back to it when Im a bit more on the cheerful side, I was kinda ho hum after just finishing GLOW, so maybe that had an effect.

Frame of mind matters. I'd say push through. I'm not going to say the show's for everyone, but even I wasn't fully sold through the first season, although I enjoyed it. The show didn't really get its hooks in until season 2. Season 2 takes bolder choices (and walks back some of them, but still).

I enjoy the humor aspect of it too, but yeah, the production budget is NOT HIGH. Plan on spending a lot of time inside their homes. LOT of time.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on March 31, 2020, 08:21:30 PM
Quote from: Crewe on March 31, 2020, 01:27:18 AM

Frame of mind matters. I'd say push through. I'm not going to say the show's for everyone, but even I wasn't fully sold through the first season, although I enjoyed it. The show didn't really get its hooks in until season 2. Season 2 takes bolder choices (and walks back some of them, but still).

I enjoy the humor aspect of it too, but yeah, the production budget is NOT HIGH. Plan on spending a lot of time inside their homes. LOT of time.

Maybe I will. Im in S2 of Altered Carbon right nw, and then Im being urged to dive in to Tiger King.

BojackHorsefella

Hahaha, I want to watch Tiger King but the fiancee is uncomfortable about the treatment the tigers themselves get. Funny thing, Doc's whole thing is in Myrtle Beach. I never went and am certainly glad I didn't, but that's about the kind of people you can expect from Myrtle.

So happy I left there.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on April 01, 2020, 02:27:20 PM
Hahaha, I want to watch Tiger King but the fiancee is uncomfortable about the treatment the tigers themselves get. Funny thing, Doc's whole thing is in Myrtle Beach. I never went and am certainly glad I didn't, but that's about the kind of people you can expect from Myrtle.

So happy I left there.

I dont even have a clue what its about. Could be legit, could be corny as hell, I have no idea, but I guess Ill start it soon because I just finished

Altered Carbon Seasons 1 and 2 (no 3 yet)

This is a futuristic film about everlasting life and love, literally. It also puts forth the age old rich folks get everything story.
What you need to know and what will help you going in, is that bodies are considered sleeves and if you die, you can be re issued another sleeve.
If you are not rich, you get the equivalent of a court appointed attorney sleeve, but if you have the cash, you get the Olympic choices.
So, yes, you can die over and over again, and its a bit more nuanced than that but thats the basic idea. That is, unless your stack is destroyed.
You stack is basically your brain in a small device in your neck. That gets destroyed, you have just entered real death.
That should get you started.

This series takes place in 2348 I believe and Takashi Koavcs is lifted from ice storage by a meth; oh yea, a meth is one who has immortality via backups and clones, so, rich guy. So meth, James Purefoy, wants Kovacs, Joel Kinnaman, to investigate who murdeered him. Its too long and varied to get I to here, but you'll see...
In true noir fashion, Kovacs takes the job and ends up following revealing leads and has to determine if they are relevant to his case, and if not, does he follow up anyway just because of the mystery.

Martha Higareda is a police officer who has a vested interest in Kovacs who is an Envoy (rebel soldier with heightened sense and reactions) by the way, and also a CTAC soldier (A Protectorate force)
Outwardly, she shadows him because he's a terrorist, as she deems all Envoys.

Dichen Lachman is superb as Rei, Kovacs sibling, and Renée Elise Goldsberry  plays the rebel leader and inventor of the stack, Quell.

As I noted before, this is a detective story at its heart, but its a feisty fighting hi tech futuristic action drama as well with a pretty good story.
You may pick up on the technology sooner than I, but if you want, google Altered Carbon terms and you can punch up on all the lingo and meanings you need to keep up. Otherwise, they do a pretty good job of enlightening the viewer.
Up to now its all season one, which Ill give an A.

Season 2, not so much. We have no completely abandoned the structure of the previous season and moved 300 years in to the future.
I dont want to spoil a bunch, but let me just say that season 2 is well layered and thats not always a good thing, especially when dealing with science, it can and does become very confusing, and not knowing what's going in, in the chaotic and logical sense, deprives me of any enjoyment.
Spoiler
Bsically, there's two of everyone, no-one that dies is dead and one guy can be two people and without the same memory while existing in the same space.
A couple of times during the 8 episode run, I finally catch up and figure out what's happening, only to be thrust right back in to a confusing state of techno
happenings.
It all does come to fruition toward the end and you get the ohh I see moment, but at that point, was it worth it?
Ill say yes, only because season one was so good and once you delve beyond all the layers in S2, it actually is a good story. Seeing as how its only 8 episodes, id go ahead and bang it out.
Season 2 gets a B- for me.
Thats a pretty good overall grade though, so dig in and let me know what you think

Crewe

Tiger King

So I had zero idea what this was about, whether it was a program or a documentary or what.
Well, it's a documentary about a reality show being filmed which follows around a gay flamboyant outlandish narcissistic tiger zoo owner and breeder who's at war with a so called tiger preservationist.
The nuts and bolts, as near as I can figure out, are as follows.
Joe Exotic has a tiger zoo in Oklahoma which I guess is legal. He breeds tiger cubs which I think is illegal. That's what the rednecks in the show say but I dont trust anythign any one of them says so...
Some lady in Florida also has a zoo and blasts him for.....having a zoo, and exploiting tigers for cash.
Just like she's doing.
Yea, I dont get it either.
On top of it, there's a producer who is a main participant in this doc who was the show runner of Joe's live internet show and recording him every minute of every day (his words) for his own documentary.
You hear about the tiger trade with others in the US and Florida lady is all holier than tho and her and Joe war over the airwaves and go public as big as they possibly can. Extracting and propagandizing any detail that could be used for gain, both act like children, its exactly like a small town gossip feud.

Oh yea, not such a small tidbit, Florida ladies husband mysteriously disappeared. Oh and he was a millionaire, oh and he took her off the streets and out of a very bad marriage, and nobody has a clue what happened to him. Investigation still open.
So that was used by Joe and the doc makers to up the drama.
This is one big shit show. Its like Making a murderer with way more colorful characters who are unbelievably petty and childish. I almost, almost think Id watch an episode of the Kardashians than this BS.
On second thought, Id rather just shoot myself.

Crewe

Money Heist

While looking for something new to watch, I encountered Money Heist. It had good reviews on RT, both audience and critic. I mostly side with the audience reviews though because critics by nature can sometimes be way to haughty. So can I when it comes to reviews, in fact, this may be one here.

I didnt realize it foreign made and dubbed, so get ready for that first of all.
The mastermind, whom we know as the Professor, scours for a team to pull off the biggest hist ever, the Spain mint.
The show starts with Tokyo (Úrsula Corberó) and we given a short exposition and then how the Prof comes to her.
Unlike other movies of this sort, we move right past the intros and setup and on to the gig. We do the rest in flashbacks throughout the brief series.
This project felt like Anonymous and you'll see why, quickly. But that isn't a knock so much, I mean everything has to be like something. It matters how the story is told and acted.
For the most part, some decent actors here, a few, not so much, at least not early on.
The overall main arc is pretty good, Im on the final season (4 which is 8 eps) but as we get backstories, they are more and more fickle to me.
The main gist is about Tokyo (the team members are named after cities, but unlike another heist flick, they do get to pick their own names.
Anyhow, Tokyo has this love interest on the team which is specifically prohibited and while we follow that, which is tabled from time to time, we then focus on the Professor's relationship with the Inspector (Itziar Ituño) and negotiator trying to defuse and/or capture these guys.
Their cat and mouse is interesting as it really develops both characters, mainly the professor as you will see.
I cant really divulge more without spoiling the ride.
How can I best describe this?
Not campy, nor exaggerated...what would you call a series that takes itself serious, but has ridiculous execution of some plot points, while seemingly making up on the fly other arcs that are there just to fill time, I guess.
Not lazy, just, not well executed, how's that?
it's a good story, and most character arcs are good enough ideas but just dont come to fruition naturally.
The score is quite amazing and the cinematography holds well and keep in mind, Ive stuck with it, so somethings there for sure.
I just dont buy all the hype, sometimes, I just dont see how its as well received as it is, but its probably me.
That's not saying it sucks terribly because its a tense show and entertaining, but there are a few eye rolls with it too.
Im just starting the final few episodes and Ill say it does get better as we move along, kinda like a first season or a pilot episode is not the greatest, but the rest is, ala Sopranos. Felt like they found their stride, fleshing things out, but we will see.
now, spoilers

Spoiler

I hated the lead, Tokyo, from early on once the team was inside. So grandiose and volatile. All of the problems they have stem from her, singlehandedly and its maddening that she never learns. Once things fall apart and she wrecks it all, she pulls out the femininities, crying, saying she's a fuck up etc...and then everyone's oh, it's ok. Fuck that.
The most satisfying part was when Berin strapped her sorry ass to a homemade stretcher and rolled her right out the front door to the cops. I laughed my ass off and pumped my fist, fuck yea you stupid twat.
And once she was in the hands of the cops, I was completely on her side again lol

I liked the mock execution of the Inspector, now that was good storytelling, although I have a gripe.
All through this, they were seen as Robin Hood's, good guys if you will, that was the script.
So, they mock execute the inspector which sends the professor in to a rage, declaring to his team, this is war against the system now.
Ok, fine, understandable.
Next, the cops aggravate the situation by using one girls son as a decoy to draw her in to the open and assassinate her.
That's, well, ok. Sniping a mom through a window when she isn't shooting at you, but just adoring her son...seems kinda low life to me.
So, still good guys as this all happens and these are consecutive scenes so its not evens with a good span of time in between.
Now, the cops get the armored military vehicles ready to enter. the team already had their RPG's in place because, war, right?
Instead of eating for the cops to actually drive in to the building, the thieves open up the door, target the vehicle and blow them in to oblivion.
So, reasonable reaction if you ask me. Take the Inspector's death out of the picture. Wouldn't you expect something like that to happen? And of course the cops knew they were armed to the hilt.
But somehow, now, they are the bad guys.
It's this sort of lapse in the story that just takes all the fun and believability out of it for me.
Maybe its just me, I dunno, but it just seems silly and pointless.
Then there's the normal lazy stuff, girl shot through the thigh but no limp hours later, same with another asshole, its just off putting and sloppy.
I guess a real issue I have too is that the characters are just so damn stupid. And yea, I know, criminals are stupid, but man, this is just, bad.

Ill come back after I finish this in order to finalize it, but Id really like someones opinion who's seen it or will see it.