UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2014

Started by TheNorm, August 10, 2015, 12:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

rollntider

Former QB speaks on NCAA football series

QuoteIf you were of video game-playing age in the 2000s, chances are you ruined a few controllers and spent dozens of enjoyable hours on NCAA Football.

(Photo: Polygon)
It never reached Madden levels in terms of popularity and individual units sold, but it was gold for the everyday college football fan and quickly staked its claim as a profitable giant for EA Sports.

Option and Wildcat packages, Road to Glory, online dynasties + recruiting, alternate uniforms — truly innovating stuff.

This is why the death of the series in the fall of 2013 after NCAA Football 14's release was so damn disappointing. Too much legal red tape and Ed O'Bannon player likeness noise to go any further.

Suddenly, NBA2K received more spin and we had no clue about next year's team without the help of an updated roster upload (my eighth-grade self speaking).

EA Sports in January brutally teased a possible return to the shelves with a memorable heartbeat video prior to the national championship game, only to say false alarm hours later after the original Facebook post was wildly shared leading to rampant speculation.

This brings us to current day where thousands of former players are starting to see minuscule checks trickle in for using their likeness — without permission — digitally as part of a $60 million settlement package.

Former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy provided a largely unexplored opinion Friday on Twitter that's both valid and thought-provoking.

Let's return this money to EA Sports for more NCAA Football video games.

It won't likely happen as a pipe dream, but there's an idea.

"NCAA Video Game > This Check," McElroy posted on Twitter. "Use my likeness. I don't care. I understand that money is measurable, but BEING IN a video game that's played by millions of people?

"How much is that exposure worth? Advertisers would love that type of presence."

He wasn't finished.

"Not to mention, playing as YOURSELF in a game is priceless. Current players deserve that experience, too. BRING BACK NCAA FOOTBALL!"

I like McElroy's enthusiasm. We all should. Players don't have representation in college and starring with a 98 OVR could be used as a primary marketing tool in the future.

The harsh reality is that third-team wideout who wound up catching 88 passes for 1,487 yards and 18 touchdowns for your team during his senior season is better off cashing his $263 check.

No amount of exposure, despite the shrill screams going on in your living room, is helping that guy. But to McElroy's point, his likeness lives on forever.

And for that, the touted prospect who fizzled out in real life should be thrilled.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Article/Ex-Alabama-QBs-take-on-NCAA-Football-video-game-is-inspiring-44825207

Crewe

right, now I remember, because I waited a long while before jumping to the 4.

TheNorm

Bumping this because I actually fired this up a few weeks ago...taking awhile to get back in the saddle of this. Started a dynasty with whichever was the final year schedule (2013?) but with the 2017 roster set. Big Ten is still at 12 teams in this one, and if I make it to year two I'll bump the conferences up to the current alignments. Only reason I'm not sure I'll make it to year two in this current one is because I'm tempted to use this one as a tuneup to get my settings down...plus the guys at OS are already working on the 2018 roster set and I may jump to that once those are Week 1 ready and start over.

The other reason I'm bumping this is to check to see who still has this. Servers are still operational and I wouldn't mind playing any of you lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

rollntider

I dont have the game but might be interested.  That was the only year I did not buy because I was waiting on the PS4 version lol. Sadly my ps4 game playing waned with NCAA dying

TheNorm

Well damn, lol...thought more of you had this, and had no idea you never picked this up tider. I think this, the Mass Effect trilogy, Red Dead Redemption, and XCOM are the only reasons I still keep my PS3 around.

Here's an article worth checking out.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/11/17561556/ncaa-football-five-year-anniversary-cancellation

QuoteThis week was traditionally the time in which the old NCAA Football series that EA Sports published, but canceled in 2013, would have launched. I have seen a ton of copy written about the game lately, and some of seems dissonant with the way it, like many sports video games, was critiqued before it got canned. In the final season, I remember NCAA Football 14 was taking on a "sameness problem." NCAA Football 14 had changes and updates but not new features that distinguished or advanced it from past editions. Today, of course, we remember the series as a paragon of the sports genre.

But EA Sports' NCAA Football was still a miracle of modern sports video game development. The massive patchwork quilt of licensing that gave NCAA Football 14 a total game day feel on my living room screen in 2013 took years, upon years, of work and relationships — not just money. It wasn't one-stop shopping from sugar daddy Electronic Arts with the NCAA (itself practically irrelevant to the product) or the Collegiate Licensing Company. It was way more complicated than the current FIFA series (which only now is bringing in the UEFA Champions League, and still does not have Women's World Cup branding).

And somehow, NCAA Football's makers still got everything in the game — from the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl to the Outland Trophy and Tennessee's "Rocky Top" fight song — in the greatest fulfillment of a marketing slogan that has become the standard for an entire genre. All of these required some kind of separate agreement. EA Sports' FIFA series still has to quietly acknowledge that, no, Italy's Serie A does not have an official presence in the game. And that's not anyone's fault or negligence; it just shows how complicated it is to truly bring this stuff to life in a video game, especially when you have only a year to do it.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on July 11, 2018, 11:21:01 PM
Well damn, lol...thought more of you had this, and had no idea you never picked this up tider. I think this, the Mass Effect trilogy, Red Dead Redemption, and XCOM are the only reasons I still keep my PS3 around.

Here's an article worth checking out.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/11/17561556/ncaa-football-five-year-anniversary-cancellation

QuoteThis week was traditionally the time in which the old NCAA Football series that EA Sports published, but canceled in 2013, would have launched. I have seen a ton of copy written about the game lately, and some of seems dissonant with the way it, like many sports video games, was critiqued before it got canned. In the final season, I remember NCAA Football 14 was taking on a "sameness problem." NCAA Football 14 had changes and updates but not new features that distinguished or advanced it from past editions. Today, of course, we remember the series as a paragon of the sports genre.

But EA Sports' NCAA Football was still a miracle of modern sports video game development. The massive patchwork quilt of licensing that gave NCAA Football 14 a total game day feel on my living room screen in 2013 took years, upon years, of work and relationships — not just money. It wasn't one-stop shopping from sugar daddy Electronic Arts with the NCAA (itself practically irrelevant to the product) or the Collegiate Licensing Company. It was way more complicated than the current FIFA series (which only now is bringing in the UEFA Champions League, and still does not have Women's World Cup branding).

And somehow, NCAA Football's makers still got everything in the game — from the Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl to the Outland Trophy and Tennessee's "Rocky Top" fight song — in the greatest fulfillment of a marketing slogan that has become the standard for an entire genre. All of these required some kind of separate agreement. EA Sports' FIFA series still has to quietly acknowledge that, no, Italy's Serie A does not have an official presence in the game. And that's not anyone's fault or negligence; it just shows how complicated it is to truly bring this stuff to life in a video game, especially when you have only a year to do it.

I love Xcom, I play it on steam mainly.

TheNorm

I seriously had no idea how complicated it was for EA to negotiate with each individual entity/conference, because for some reason I thought all they had to do was negotiate with the NCAA (which would probably still be a pain in the ass because the organization is a joke). Woof.

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on July 12, 2018, 04:20:01 PM
I seriously had no idea how complicated it was for EA to negotiate with each individual entity/conference, because for some reason I thought all they had to do was negotiate with the NCAA (which would probably still be a pain in the ass because the organization is a joke). Woof.

According to an article i read a while back.
EA negotiated with the Collegiate Licensing along with the NCAA and wanted exclusivity. NCAA ok'd the deal as long as they did not get sued, and each school and conference also gave their OK as per the Collegiate Licensing deal. I think there were a few hold outs, and a the bowls signed on of course.

As you know the NCAA was sued, EA pulled the plug per the deal with the NCAA and Lawyers made money a few plaintiffs got several thousand dollars and the majority of players (past and  were current) got about 50 to 60 bucks in the settlement, approximately the cost of a game.

The NCAA could still do the game if they allowed it to be made and the players sign a waiver they get free copies of the game on the system of their choice for their likeness.

Fun Bama fact (LOL) The Collegiate Licensing was started by Former Bama, player/AD and Tennessee Coach Bill Battle. Those little officially licensed holograms were because of him. I think he sold the company in the 90's but he founded it.