News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 Off-Season/Season

Started by BojackHorsefella, January 12, 2018, 03:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Re: Houston v Boston 9/9/18

if you follow baseball, you know the play. Altuve called out at the plate which cost Houston the lead and Boston won in their half of the ninth.
The umpire on the field made a tough call and if you look at it now, you can see how he could've called him out, understandably so because of his angle and the fact it was a close play.
However, that is precisely why the IR exists and that cannot be overstated.
A replay was shown at Fenway almost immediately and even Red Sox fans groaned because they knew. We knew. Everyone knew.
After a ridiculous amount of time, four minutes or so, I told my buddy, they will call him out, this is taking too long.
Sure enough.
My question is, what in the actual fark are they looking at? Seriously?
They had the same view we all had, probably more. There is without a doubt zero question he was not tagged, period.
There absolutely has to be consequences, publicly declared, for the official in NY making this call because it creates a real sense of injustice, favoritism and any other negative aspect you can toss in to this crevice between the league and its teams.
What was the basis for the call? In football, as fucked as it is rules wise, at least they tell you what the hell they are thinking when making a decision.
Shouldn't it be the same here?
There was no rule interpretation such as fan interference which can be a gray area, but this was black and white; it either did or didnt.
Its really exasperating with this crapola.

Oh and to the Boston fans who, with regard to this game, discuss the strike zone and the fact X player would have walked if he didnt have to swing to protect at stake 2 and then Y would have done this and that and we would have won anyway.
That is all moot and any logical person should know that. It is about the integrity of the replay, period! So stop with that shit.

Crewe

What the hell Oakland? Aside from today, dont you EVER lose?
These guys are good.

TheNorm

Wow, Cubbies...what a collapse over the last 48 hours.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Pretty much. Colorado? Wouldn't have guessed they would make it

Crewe

man, Yanks look damn tough. A's are young but that aint no slouch team gettin shown up right now

Crewe

I know this seems petty, but it seriously pisses me off that Cle/Hou dont get one single prime time game because of the fuckin Sox/Yankees.
World champs be damned, its the Yankees..... Fuck these clowns

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on October 06, 2018, 10:32:39 PM
I know this seems petty, but it seriously pisses me off that Cle/Hou dont get one single prime time game because of the fuckin Sox/Yankees.

If I could rep this twice I would lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 08, 2018, 01:41:41 AM
Quote from: Crewe on October 06, 2018, 10:32:39 PM

If I could rep this twice I would lol.

:D

Love the fact Bregman called out this very thing in a post game interview. It was fun n games and he wasn't angry but message sent. The disrespect is unbelievable. I hope we keep winning just so they HAVE to fucking deal with us.

TheNorm

Well Houston took care of business and it came at the expense of the Mistake by the Lake, so that's fine by me.

Damn, the Bosox put up 16 last I checked on the Yanks in game 3? How...sad. Lol

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 08, 2018, 11:47:17 PM
Well Houston took care of business and it came at the expense of the Mistake by the Lake, so that's fine by me.

Damn, the Bosox put up 16 last I checked on the Yanks in game 3? How...sad. Lol

on the Yanks turf even  :o

TheNorm

Crewe

As division rivals, I seriously hated the Dodgers back then, but over time, really came to respect Lasorda.
From the article, Lasorda said, " I still can't believe the team we fielded. Jesus! We had Danny Heep in the outfield. I told Danny Heep one time he's so goddamn slow, if he got in a race with a pregnant woman, he'd finish third.

This is the kind of article a non baseball follower needs to read to help understand why fans love this game.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on October 16, 2018, 10:39:25 AM
This is a pretty good read...a look at Kirk Gibson's HR for the Dodgers in 1988.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24974235/mlb-kirk-gibson-world-series-home-run-30-years-later

Read the whole thing and re-watched the at bat. Thanks for this, Norm. That was incredible.

TheNorm

Still think this Astros/Red Sox series goes 7, but the Sox have been clicking the last couple of games. Tide seemed to change a bit in Game 2 when Cole had the one rough inning.

Crewe

yea Astros just looked run down. Of course beaning a run in and a granny doesn't help the mood.