Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

I'd like to also add:

Serj Tankian- Empty Walls

And

Fort Minor - Where'd You Go

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on January 10, 2018, 02:18:50 PM
Heh, Sister Christian...I remember 10-year old me having a crush on the girl in that video. Also led me to this article, which you might find interesting.

http://www.noblemania.com/2014/07/the-girl-in-video-sister-christian-1984.html

thats a great read. Interesting I had a thing for her back then also.... thanks. It also led to 12 year old Tider wanting to grow a mullet

TheNorm

Day 8
A fall/winter song

Using the Bangles version of this song because the Simon & Garfunkel video doesn't have Susanna Hoffs and Jami Gertz in it.  :popcorn:

The Bangles - Hazy Shade of Winter
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

It's either Seether or Staind, pretty sure it's Staind, but it's their cover of "Christmas Time is Here" from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. The live version of the cover, preferably.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 10, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
Day 8
A fall/winter song

Using the Bangles version of this song because the Simon & Garfunkel video doesn't have Susanna Hoffs and Jami Gertz in it.  :popcorn:

Dude! you took mine lol
not a dig if you like them, because I respect the talent and their knowledge and love of music, but this is about the only song of theirs I can stomach.
Incidentally, I've never heard of a band that says they were so heavily influenced by the. Beatles, but yet dont carry one-ota of similarity in the music, but this just me.

Ill go with Winter by the Stones

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on January 10, 2018, 06:38:43 PM
It's either Seether or Staind, pretty sure it's Staind, but it's their cover of "Christmas Time is Here" from the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. The live version of the cover, preferably.

Idbe interested to hear that

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 10, 2018, 06:41:33 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on January 10, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
Day 8
A fall/winter song

Dude! you took mine lol
not a dig if you like them, because I respect the talent and their knowledge and love of music, but this is about the only song of theirs I can stomach.
Incidentally, I've never heard of a band that says they were so heavily influenced by the. Beatles, but yet dont carry one-ota of similarity in the music, but this just me.

Ill go with Winter by the Stones

You talking about the Bangles or the Stones? Pretty sure it's the Stones but just want to be sure lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

no it was the Bangles. Seems I remember an interview with Hows saying what a heavy influence the Beatles were and Im thinking, huh?
Cu when I hear Bangles, Beatles is not what comes to mind in any form or fashion lol
To be fair, I haven't listened to a lot of their music either, so Im probably bitching while ignorant ;-)

cflnut

Love Like Winter - AFI

This is one of the few songs I like from AFI, and also one of the few that isn't an emo self loathing type song.
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on January 10, 2018, 07:00:13 PM
no it was the Bangles. Seems I remember an interview with Hows saying what a heavy influence the Beatles were and Im thinking, huh?
Cu when I hear Bangles, Beatles is not what comes to mind in any form or fashion lol
To be fair, I haven't listened to a lot of their music either, so Im probably bitching while ignorant ;-)

Huh, I didn't know that...although now that I think of it I can hear the influence on some of their stuff off of Different Light, their album that went big (it's been ages since I listened to them last regularly...try grade school lol). If She Knew What She Wants and Walking Down Your Street, especially. Short story summed up: yeah, I find that believable-early Beatles anyway, not the Rubber Soul or Revolver phases. And yeah, I listened to a lot of pop growing up lol.

Fun fact: Prince wrote Manic Monday.

Add-on 1: so of course I looked, and here's an interview. Seems they were influenced by a lot of 60s stuff.
https://www.salon.com/2016/06/15/beatlemania_and_the_bangles_susanna_hoffs_explains_how_our_obsession_with_the_beatles_brought_the_80s_group_together/

Add-on 2: ...and now it just hit me that Different Light was released in 1986, 32 years ago. Holy crap.

This is probably more information than any of you ever wanted to know about the Bangles, but oh well.  ;D

rollntider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu94mWlgzMY

No Quarter by Led Zepplin, with the lyrics and the song even sounds like it occurs in a snow storm.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 11, 2018, 01:17:49 AM
Quote from: Crewe on January 10, 2018, 07:00:13 PM

Huh, I didn't know that...although now that I think of it I can hear the influence on some of their stuff off of Different Light, their album that went big (it's been ages since I listened to them last regularly...try grade school lol). If She Knew What She Wants and Walking Down Your Street, especially. Short story summed up: yeah, I find that believable-early Beatles anyway, not the Rubber Soul or Revolver phases. And yeah, I listened to a lot of pop growing up lol.

Fun fact: Prince wrote Manic Monday.

Add-on 1: so of course I looked, and here's an interview. Seems they were influenced by a lot of 60s stuff.
https://www.salon.com/2016/06/15/beatlemania_and_the_bangles_susanna_hoffs_explains_how_our_obsession_with_the_beatles_brought_the_80s_group_together/

Add-on 2: ...and now it just hit me that Different Light was released in 1986, 32 years ago. Holy crap.

This is probably more information than any of you ever wanted to know about the Bangles, but oh well;D

Im always relieved when something I spout turns out to be true lol
Now Im going to have to take a browse through A Different Light. I dont know if I recall it just for the hell of it or if I ever heard it.
I was so anti pop growing up it was ridiculous. its carried over into adulthood but I find its a little more relaxed now.
If you couldn't play it live, I considered a band a fraud. I.e. music tracks, backing vocals etc....
When Milli Vanilli was busted...oh the glory days lol

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: rollntider on January 11, 2018, 01:39:16 AM

No Quarter by Led Zepplin, with the lyrics and the song even sounds like it occurs in a snow storm.

TOOL has a great cover of this on their Opiate CD

rollntider

Quote from: Bucfever on January 11, 2018, 11:17:59 AM
Quote from: rollntider on January 11, 2018, 01:39:16 AM

TOOL has a great cover of this on their Opiate CD

thanks for the heads up, I like some tool. I am ashamed I do not know this. I usually keep up with Zep covers....

TheNorm

Day 9
A song that unnerves or disturbs you

Mainly because I first heard this in Requiem for a Dream, which is also kind of unnerving and disturbing.

Lux Aeterna - Requiem for a Dream