News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The 30 Days of Music Challenge

Started by TheNorm, January 03, 2018, 09:49:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflnut

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 16, 2018, 12:25:49 PM
Day 14
A song you like from before the rock & roll era

I typically think of "In the Mood", but this one might be my favorite.

Benny Goodman Orchestra - Sing Sing Sing (With a Swing)

dude, seriously, you took mine, again lol
Ill go with Howlin Wolf Smokestack lightning  :D

rollntider

this was hard.... had to go to some bugs bunny music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLp_Hh6DKWc or the 1812 overture....  this one was tough

rollntider

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 11, 2018, 01:17:49 AM
Quote from: Crewe on January 10, 2018, 07:00:13 PM
no it was the Bangles. Seems I remember an interview with Hows saying what a heavy influence the Beatles were and Im thinking, huh?
Cu when I hear Bangles, Beatles is not what comes to mind in any form or fashion lol
To be fair, I haven't listened to a lot of their music either, so Im probably bitching while ignorant ;-)

Huh, I didn't know that...although now that I think of it I can hear the influence on some of their stuff off of Different Light, their album that went big (it's been ages since I listened to them last regularly...try grade school lol). If She Knew What She Wants and Walking Down Your Street, especially. Short story summed up: yeah, I find that believable-early Beatles anyway, not the Rubber Soul or Revolver phases. And yeah, I listened to a lot of pop growing up lol.

Fun fact: Prince wrote Manic Monday.

Add-on 1: so of course I looked, and here's an interview. Seems they were influenced by a lot of 60s stuff.
https://www.salon.com/2016/06/15/beatlemania_and_the_bangles_susanna_hoffs_explains_how_our_obsession_with_the_beatles_brought_the_80s_group_together/

Add-on 2: ...and now it just hit me that Different Light was released in 1986, 32 years ago. Holy crap.

This is probably more information than any of you ever wanted to know about the Bangles, but oh well.  ;D

ok back to this.
I did some listening and reading and I get where they pull the influence from the Beatles. Seems like its a combination of the pop songs and harmonies as well as the influence of just being the Beatles. So I hear that in their songs, just not much else. Maybe I was looking for a more direct influence. For instance, if a band says Black Sabbath was an influence and you hear the song, you're not going to wonder, gee, was Sabbath an influence? That make sense to anyone other than me? lol
Anyway, ive closed this investigation for myself, just thought Id share ;-)

TheNorm

Sorry for the lateness of this, long day at work lol. Halfway through!

Day 15
An outstanding album track/non-single
I'm interpreting this as a song that wasn't released for airplay off of an album. Anyway, this one jumped right out at me. Mayer Hawthorne's a local guy right out of Ann Arbor, Michigan (woohoo!) that's been around for a few years. First thing that caught my ear off of this song was the bassline, which I absolutely love and want to play someday. Then the song came to signify something more personal (lol). It's got that old school soul sound and I can't get enough of it. If you find you do like it, check out the album "How Do You Do" that it came off of, including a single called "The Walk".

Mayer Hawthorne - Hooked
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

So it can be off an album if it wasn't one of the songs that played on the radio?

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on January 17, 2018, 11:37:11 PM
So it can be off an album if it wasn't one of the songs that played on the radio?

Yep!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Audislave - Jewel of the summertime

rollntider

TheNorm

Day 16
A song to play driving late at night

Could go a bunch of ways with this one...ultimately I think I'll go with Van Morrison's best song.

Van Morrison - Into the Mystic

Crewe

oh man no question, Hendrix. Pick anything!
Seriously, so many just from him, but Ill go with Hear my train a comin. He had so many versions of songs he loved to play and this was one. This one is from the People Hell and Angles, but I really like the BBC sessions version and the Blues version which I think a majority regard as the best version

Heres a brief acoustic version

Truly is heartbreaking we didnt get to experience an older, pardon the pun, more experienced Hendrix because I would have loved to have heard what he would've come up with down the road. How would Eddie Van Halen's career played out if Jimi lived?
Every time I hear his music, I just get lost in the soulfulness of his talents.

cflnut

Buddy Holly - That'll be the day

Dad would always play Buddy Holly when in the car. Especially during our weekend fishing trips, when I was younger. Early morning or late at night it didn't matter Buddy Holly was always on the 8 track (later cassette / CD) player.

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.
Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't.
And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would.

rollntider

can we list 400 or so? There are so many for this.

Hendrix is a great choice by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_J-hmyAS6c

I went with the moody blues based on CFLNut. My Dad used to play the hell out of some moody blues

Crewe

Quote from: rollntider on January 19, 2018, 05:33:24 PM
can we list 400 or so? There are so many for this.

Hendrix is a great choice by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_J-hmyAS6c

I went with the moody blues based on CFLNut. My Dad used to play the hell out of some moody blues

yea this could go on for a while.
Moody Blues is a good one, made me think of Foghat too lol