News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The diablo controversy

Started by rollntider, November 09, 2018, 11:14:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollntider

In case you missed it Diablo Immortal was announced at Blizzcon this past weekend.
There is outrage among hardcore diablo fans, why? Because they teased diablo news for months leading up to hardcore pc diablo fans only to reveal a mobile game of a diablo rip off.

Fans had wanted a D1 or D2 remake for modern systems. D2 is still played and loved by fans. D3 people wanted another expansion. D3 fans have been begging for the druid for years. But what did they give their fans? They had a 3rd party crappy diablo clone reskin as their big announcement to a bunch of hardcore PC gamer Diablo fans.

You hear all the time "Mobile games make 70 billion a year, while pc and console together make that"

Both true statements, but the top grossing mobile game made 1.8 million while nothing to sneeze at
GTA5 sold 17 million units. so while the mobile market is larger their players dont spend as much money per game.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/263988/top-grossing-mobile-ios-gaming-apps-ranked-by-daily-revenue/
https://www.statista.com/statistics/273335/sales-of-the-worlds-most-popular-console-games-in-2011/

Blizzard dropped the ball I think, they should have done like Microsoft did with gears, yeah they did a mobile game but their fans were not pissed because they got a real game announced also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfIbJPqf5U

that guy sums it up. If you have a chance watch some of the cringey announcement. It's good entertainment.

Crewe

I saw this, but hadn't been following the story. Based on what I read, I would be miffed too.
I loved D2 when I played on my pc years and years ago.

BojackHorsefella

I thought the whole thing was they wanted a Diablo 4 announcement, and I thought that since this happened it's come out that Blizzard WAS going to announce Diablo 4, but decided they weren't ready.

Anyways, this is more of the fan entitlement, same thing we see from the toxic sections of the Star Wars fandom. If you don't want to play it, don't play it.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on November 09, 2018, 11:46:53 AM
I thought the whole thing was they wanted a Diablo 4 announcement, and I thought that since this happened it's come out that Blizzard WAS going to announce Diablo 4, but decided they weren't ready.

Anyways, this is more of the fan entitlement, same thing we see from the toxic sections of the Star Wars fandom. If you don't want to play it, don't play it.

I could be wrong but my interpretation was the fanbase was misled

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on November 09, 2018, 11:50:11 AM

I could be wrong but my interpretation was the fanbase was misled

My understanding is Blizzard promoted the announcement heavily, so everyone assumed it was gonna be Diablo 4.

A similar thing happened with the Smash Bros community recently (and is beyond illogical, in my opinion), when someone on Reddit "leaked" a roster of upcoming DLC characters for the new Switch Smash Bros, and it blew up into a huge argument between "#TeamReal" and #TeamFake" as to whether the leak was real and these would be announced at Nintendo's "Smash Direct."

Like.......why? Why not just wait for the freaking thing? Why does it BECOME a controversy when you can just go "Man, I hope that's real, guess we'll see" and instead you have people sniping at others as these things always tend to go. These fandoms, especially gaming, are just so toxic these days.

rollntider

I thought the whole thing was they wanted a Diablo 4 announcement,
and I thought that since this happened it's come out that Blizzard WAS going to announce Diablo 4, but decided they weren't ready.
There was speculation, after the debacle, there was a "leak" that they held the D4 announcement. And then denied it.
They hyped up a Diablo announcement at a PC gamer convention.

You are entitled to think that, but explain to me why you would announce a mobile re skin game at a PC gamer convention. Blizzcon is for hardcore pc/console gamers, yes they do console games also, but who the fuq thinks its a good idea to announce your mobile game to a bunch of PC gamers? 

It was tone deaf.  Might as well go to a Fifa release party and only have pokemon go games to play for everyone.

Blizzard gamers love blizzard for the quality of games that are released. This game is a reskin of a decent diablo clone. I still am a fan of blizzard but I feel they just thought if they crap in a bucket and put diablo on it, it would sell, and it probably will. Even at the panel they admitted they were gong for a different audience.