News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on December 08, 2018, 10:35:38 AM
Creed II definitely on my list. Oceans 8 I wrote off immediately ala the rebooted Ghostbusters. Its really worth checking out?

It really was. Captures the spirit of the Ocean's films before it and was done quite well. The ladies turned in some really good performances there.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

Oceans 8 was good. I wasn't a huge fan of the Ghostbusters movie (I haven't liked any Paul Feig movie, except Spy). Plus, I like those actresses but they're not on par with the originals.

Oceans 8, however, is more of a match. Bullock can match Clooney, Blanchette is just so cool, and the story is a lot closer to your typical Oceans movie than whatever the new Ghostbusters was trying to do (it was just a really, really badly written movie). I'd say it's definitely worth renting Oceans.

Crewe

Cool. Ill check it out then. And for the record, I did not intend to say O8 was equal trash to GB, I just didn't think it was in line with the other Oceans flicks.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on December 08, 2018, 06:49:50 PM
Cool. Ill check it out then. And for the record, I did not intend to say O8 was equal trash to GB, I just didn't think it was in line with the other Oceans flicks.

Wasn't trying to imply that you were, sorry if it came off that way. That film is, ahem, touchy, but it's failures isn't the cast's fault.

Crewe

Quote from: Bucfever on December 08, 2018, 06:52:22 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 08, 2018, 06:49:50 PM

Wasn't trying to imply that you were, sorry if it came off that way. That film is, ahem, touchy, but it's failures isn't the cast's fault.

oh, its cool, I didn't infer your post in that way, just thought I sounded a bit snarky initially lol

Re: Ghostbusters; not all their fault but it seemed hotly over acted though.
And the promotions of that film,, yea, I had a problem with that. Calling me a misogynistic pig because I didn't like your precious cheap knick off?
No, I didn't hate it because you were women, I hated it because it was a bad idea and it sucked on top of that.
After listening to their BS I was never happier a film became a laugh8ing stock, which it is...

Crewe

So I watched the latest Thor and I didn't think Id like it, but I did despite it being over the top at points, even as a comic book movie.
Black Panther, not so much. I mean it was a great story but it just didn't seem to resonate with me.
Good flick, Im just not head over heals for it like everyone else appeared to be.
Infinity War is next, then I think Ill be caught up except some patchwork fill ins

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on December 09, 2018, 01:53:32 PM
So I watched the latest Thor and I didn't think Id like it, but I did despite it being over the top at points, even as a comic book movie.
Black Panther, not so much. I mean it was a great story but it just didn't seem to resonate with me.
Good flick, Im just not head over heals for it like everyone else appeared to be.
Infinity War is next, then I think Ill be caught up except some patchwork fill ins

Spider-Man: Homecoming?????? Or did you already see it?

Crewe

yep, saw that one too. Im told I kinda need to see Ant Man, but I dunno...arent there two or three of them?
its amazing to me there are so many damn MU films. Aren't there like three or four Thor films? That blew me away too just because I saw him as a secondary MU character

BojackHorsefella

3 Thor films, 3 Iron Man and 3 Cap (including Civil War which was Captain America: Civil War, even though it felt more like Avengers 2.5.

2 Guardians, 2 Ant Man's (watch the second AFTER Infinity War). the Ant-Man movies are worth it just for the cast.

Doctor Strange can be skipped. He plays a big role in IW, but, his movie is rough to get through.

TheNorm

I don't think you need to watch Doctor Strange before, but I do believe you need to see it. I was skeptical about it but actually felt it was well done.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I just don't get in to Dr. Strange, but that not withstanding, I finished up Infinity War which I liked. Now I have to fit in the two Ant Man's and it felt like I need to patch some other holes, or maybe I need to re read plots of the ones Ive watched because I have a hard time keeping storylines together because there's so damn many films. If it's Star Wars, no problem, but for some reason Im not retaining Marvel lol

Btw, watched Oceans 8 as well. It was a decent flick, I wasn't enamored by it but it wasn't nearly as bad as I initially thought it was going to be. So thanks for the suggestion

Crewe

Halloween (2018)
Jamie Lee Curtis

This Halloween is not a reboot but a sequel, and not a sequel to the other Halloween failures, but instead its a follow up to the original Carpenter masterpiece in 78. All those other films are not acknowledged in this feature.

Laurie Strode spent the years since the original readying herself for the return of Michael Myers, living, or existing as it were, in her survival dwelling estranged from her family.
Michael Myers, at this point is almost myth like in the sense the town and especially Laurie's family, don't really acknowledge those events.
So her daughter separated from Laurie at a young age after being unwilling to continue the survival training bestowed upon her by dear old mom.
Choosing a much sunnier disposition and a life with mom on the fringe was much more amiable.

Meanwhile, podcasters, while under the guise of do gooders, seek out Michael Myers for an interview before he is taken to a harsh institution void of any mental health such as the one the currently houses him.
While there is no mystery as to the story from here on out it is told in a surprisingly tense manner ala the original film.
The direction and cinematography capture the essence of the original Halloween without becoming a nostalgic trip, although, there is a nod or two back to carpenter's version.
The problem with slasher pics in general are plot holes, not necessarily to the story overall, but to a particular scene or scenes. This film is not without those flaws but it also absorbs those oversights and flourishes as a horror vehicle worthy of its predecessor.

The cast delivers a steady performance and Jamie Lee Curtis still carries weight as the tortured Laurie Strode.
This film is certainly worth a look.

3.75/5

BojackHorsefella

It was better than I had expected, but I should have guessed since it had Carpenters blessing. He even did the music again.

BojackHorsefella

Just a heads up, the trailers weren't a lie, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse is AMAZING. My #3 movie of the year.

Seeing The Mule tomorrow.

Crewe

Im optimistic about The Mule, but am hoping for Gran Torino Eastwood and not Trouble With the Curve Eastwood.

So, #3 eh? what, prey tell, are one and two?