Main Menu

2019 Season

Started by Crewe, February 28, 2019, 11:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on October 20, 2019, 01:20:29 PM
Quote from: Crewe on October 15, 2019, 10:50:03 PM
Are you mad?

It would appear, Crewe, that I am very sane after all, haha.

I'll be rooting for the Nats, but only because it'd be cool to see them win their first. I hate that the Stros have our number, but they're one of the more respectable organizations and rosters in baseball so I wouldn't be upset if they won either.

To be fair to me, after you said that, Yanks did win game 5 and raised my anxiety tremendously in game 6 lol
I get the Nat love and Id certainly be pulling for them if it weren't us either.

TheNorm

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on October 15, 2019, 07:09:36 PM
This reminds me of those early 00s Angels teams that just owned the Yankees every postseason.

This series is over.

Are you mad? Yankees scare the shit outta me.

And the Nats...holy crap, only thing that comes to mind is that song from Jerry Reed, well son, when youre hot, you're hot

This has turned out foreboding so far...they're not just hot, they're damn near nuclear.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 24, 2019, 07:13:48 AM
Quote from: BojackHorsefella on October 15, 2019, 07:09:36 PM
This reminds me of those early 00s Angels teams that just owned the Yankees every postseason.

This series is over.

Are you mad? Yankees scare the shit outta me.

And the Nats...holy crap, only thing that comes to mind is that song from Jerry Reed, well son, when youre hot, you're hot

This has turned out foreboding so far...they're not just hot, they're damn near nuclear.

my thoughts exactly. No-one was going to defeat them.

TheNorm

I have a favorite moment from Game 5, and if you know me you know damn well what it was. The look someone makes when they don't get the response they think they're gonna get...ah, *chef's kiss*
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/chuckculpepper1/status/1189390828193681410

Good luck, Crewe...can't say I've ever seen a series where no one's won a game at home yet (at work so can't really look it up either)...

Crewe

Leave it to Houston to set the low bar and you'll never be disappointed.

Normally, I'm a, good season kinda guy, but not now.
These guys blew it. Most wins, historic offense, solid bullpen, God tier starting rotation, 2 Cy Young candidates, 2 no hitters, 300 plus K's, ROTY candidate, home field, MVP candidate, silver sluggers, 4 gold glove chances along with every other advantage and they choked, big time. I mean like Yankees blowing a 3-0 game lead choke.
Yea the Nats were hot and they won, but wasting a Game 7 pitching outing that was good enough to beat anyone along with everything else noted above, just sad. Can't describe it any other way..
Once JV was used on short rest vs the Yanks, I pretty well knew it was over for us.
I really wanted this team to make a statement with another WS and not be a flash in the pan like the Cubs, but, here we are.
Now we lose Cole and have a beleaguered JV, who wouldn't surprise me at all if he retires, and this season was a monumental failure and the next ain't looking great either. Windows closed I'm afraid as next year we cede the division to the A's and fight for the WC and division round exit
Good news is, at least there be more seats available at the park next year after all the Houston fickle return their caps and jerseys to Academy..

TheNorm

TheNorm

Happy for every single one of them, but..ugh. Don't mind me, I'll be over here drinking bleach.

https://twitter.com/spacemnkymafia/status/1189751681132761088

BojackHorsefella

So uh, Crewe...been a rough two days for you, man.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on January 13, 2020, 05:56:07 PM
So uh, Crewe...been a rough two days for you, man.

lol yea, the Texans thing Im ok with because Im still not wholly committed to football again because of the league's dumb ass rules and the refs out of this world interpretation of said rules along with the inability to serve up consistency on any level.
that and the management of the two teams I follow are completely fucked.

But the Astros....man, that hurts. And I dont mean the punishment per se.
Im really on the fence about it all to tell you the truth.
The black and white is, they cheated using technology which is against the rules.
Yea other teams do it, other teams have been caught doing it, but somehow, even those fans want the Astros dismantled and served on toast.
What's funny to me, and this is the part the drives the I dont give a shit attitude from me, I see fans all over saying, four draft picks and $5M for a ring? I'd do it!
So, with the left hand they admit they would be ok with exactly what the Astros did and with the right these same people demand eternal damnation, banning, tar and featuring of the entire organization.
it's just ridiculous to me.
To this attitude, Ill add, cheating is a way of life in baseball.I remember Pete Rose saying when Gaylord Perry pitched, you had to hit the dry side of the baseball.

Im not one of those guys that writes it off by saying others do it soits ok, Im not.
I am severely disappointed and Ill try to explain why. This is a never meet your hero kind of thing.
I followed some of these guys from early on, and during the 100 loss seasons, I was still an avid Astros fan. I was supremely excited about the future.
The draft choices, the trades, the unloading of Pence and Bournce in their prime, it was all for a reason, a vision, to build a winning franchise.
Watching Springer in the minor leagues, to see him eventually win Minor League Player of the Year was awesome! Seeing Altuve coming in, wat3ching Bregman at LSU, hearing about Yuli coming in as the old rookie, I developed an emotional bond with these guys as they would be the foundation of my new team.
So, to think that Springer, my favorite player, was involved, is just soul crushing to me.
In the report, it stated that and intimated that it was a coach (Cora) and player driven scheme. In other articles, it was alluded to that it was players having trouble at the plate, guys looking for a spot on the team and the like.
In my own orange and blue tinted view, I take that to mean that guys like Bregman, Correa, Altuve, Springer, Yuli and the like weren't involved because it also stated several players were against it, deemed it unhelpful and even distracting.

As for the fine and the draft picks, yea, fair. Will it be the SMU death penalty? It will certainly close our window faster that's for sure.
I really like that Crane fired Luhnow even though I believe him. He has a proven track record and has no need to cheat. I take his involvement to mean he might have heard a rumor but never investigated it. But, he is tainted because of his position.
Hinch? I was always a fan of Hinch, even early on when he was getting his coaching legs, I defended him when others didnt want him at the helm.
Now? I am so pissed off at him. The report says he shattered the monitor by the dugout a couple of times to deter the behavior he admittedly knew was going on.
But he never said anything! He never made a stand to get his guys to stop, which they most certainly would have as they sincerely trusted their manager. This I know from interviews over the years etc...plus it was stated as such in the report by players saying they would've stopped if AJ directed them to.
Knowing he could've have stopped this early on just breaks my heart. And he's sorry for not intervening, and genuinely so, but for me, good riddance.

Doubters will continue to hate us and Dodger fans will forever deem themselves 2017 WS champions (even though we won on their field, and game 7, fuckin tards)
Yankee fans will continue to claim we stole their spot, but I disagree.
Astros were and are a good team. Still made a good run in 18 and lost, incidentally to the Red Sox who were found guilty of cheating in that year. So if you want to go that route, we were robbed too. See, everyone does it /s. But no-one will acknowledge such a thing.
And we were a bad inning away from winning it al this year.

I still come back my disappointment. My players. The ones that brought me and this city a Championship Ive been waiting for since I was old enough to know who the Astros were, violated the rules.
Would I feel better if it was verified that the Yankees, Dodgers etc all participated too? Sure I would.
But for now, I just feel like a disheartened dad.
I still love you son, but damn, you knew better than that.

Crewe

yea, saw that coming, and its going to get worse for Cora.

Astros are probably going to promote their bench coach to HC since Spring Training starts so soon.
He had no involvement in the scheme, so Crane thinks its a clean house now.
Gotta find a manager with balls though. It came out also that Hinch was so frustrated, apparently about the sign stealing, that he busted up the monitor, twice.
But he never told his guys to stop.
As far as Im concerned, he brought it on himself. Lotta folks feel sorry for him. I dont.
LEAD like a HC. That's the problem with guys in any sport that are "players coaches"

TheNorm

Kinda just reading up on all this, and I'm a little surprised that it looks like none of the players are going to face punishment especially if it was a coach and player driven scheme.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on January 14, 2020, 11:52:55 PM
Kinda just reading up on all this, and I'm a little surprised that it looks like none of the players are going to face punishment especially if it was a coach and player driven scheme.

Commish said a long while back that its too hard to determine what players were at what levels of involvement and meting out punishment accordingly was too involved, plus, dealing with the union would be a pain in th ass.
So he decided to focus on those in a leadership role, and honestly, I agree.

Crewe