News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The Movies Thread

Started by Sakura, May 19, 2014, 04:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Yeah, I know very little other than the trailers I watched over and over which is what I typically do.

And not to change the subject, but that Top Gun: Maverick trailer that dropped a few days ago has been watched over and over too. If you don't think I'm treating that movie release like Avengers or, well, Star Wars, you don't know me lol.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 20, 2019, 02:21:09 PM
Yeah, I know very little other than the trailers I watched over and over which is what I typically do.

And not to change the subject, but that Top Gun: Maverick trailer that dropped a few days ago has been watched over and over too. If you don't think I'm treating that movie release like Avengers or, well, Star Wars, you don't know me lol.

That was one was one the previews prior to the SW films too lol

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on December 20, 2019, 02:58:50 PM

And it looked amazing there too. Did you get the 7 minute prologue for Tenet? Can't wait for that either.

As for TROS...I liked it, was enjoyable enough. But I really wanted to love this movie and I kinda don't. Disappointed might be a decent word for my feelings. I'll elaborate more, but this was a step back from TLJ which IMO was the best out of this just wrapped trilogy.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 21, 2019, 12:39:31 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 20, 2019, 02:58:50 PM

And it looked amazing there too. Did you get the 7 minute prologue for Tenet? Can't wait for that either.

As for TROS...I liked it, was enjoyable enough. But I really wanted to love this movie and I kinda don't. Disappointed might be a decent word for my feelings. I'll elaborate more, but this was a step back from TLJ which IMO was the best out of this just wrapped trilogy.

I didnt get the preview for Tenet.

Im finding that generally those that like TLJ hate RoS and those that dislike TLJ liked Ros. Interesting huh?

I guess
Spoiler
people bitched about TLJ that you can't have a nobody utilize the force. Then RoS, why did she have to be a Palpatine, why couldn't she be a nobody? TLJ wasn't terrible, I just felt there were a couple of big direction and story execution fails.
Ill have to watch the trilogy now to see how it all plays out.

Im with you in that I didnt love it, but I really liked it, I mean it wasn't meh to me. Sure, there were flaws, but they weren't spectacular IMO. I thought the film was visually stunning and that Ridley, Boyega, Isaac and Driver was terrific throughout this series.
One thing my SW nerd cousin and I discussed immediately after was, this ST would have been much better if you have the same story creator and/or screen writer for all three ala Lucas. And personally, Lawrence Kasdan should have been involved in 8 and 9. I think both would have been better served with his history.
Even better would have been if Disney hadn't shit all over Lucas' treatment and completely disregarded his wishes moving forward.
That said, the OT is still the best of the three with this ST still beating out the Lucas second attempt.

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on December 21, 2019, 02:34:22 PM

Im finding that generally those that like TLJ hate RoS and those that dislike TLJ liked Ros. Interesting huh?

I guess
Spoiler
people benched about TLJ that you can't have a nobody utilize the force. Then RoS, why did she have to be a Palpatine, why couldn't she be a nobody? TLJ wasn't terrible, I just felt there were a couple of big direction and story execution fails.

Im with you in that I didnt love it, but I really liked it, I mean it wasn't meh to me. Sure, there were flaws, but they weren't spectacular IMO. I thought the film was visually stunning and that Ridley, Boyega, Isaac and Driver was terrific throughout this series.
One thing my SW nerd cousin and I discussed immediately after was, this ST would have been much better if you have the same story creator and/or screen writer for all three ala Lucas. And personally, Lawrence Kasdan should have been involved in 8 and 9. I think both would have been better served with his history.
Even better would have been if Disney hadn't shirt all over Lucas' treatment and completely disregarded his wishes moving forward.
That said, the OT is still the best of the three with this ST still beating out the Lucas second attempt.

Yeah, I can see that correlation between the two movies and how people felt about them. And absolutely, this movie kinda confirms to me a bit that they really didn't have a clear vision in place for this trilogy. Because I feel if they did...

Spoiler
They wouldn't have spent a good portion of this movie trying to course correct TLJ (which IMO it didn't need in the first place, the series needed bold strokes and Rian Johnson provided that). "Heh, we said Rey was a nobody? Haha, just kidding about that one." "Hi Rose, you played a pretty big role in TLJ so we're going to reward that by just making you an afterthought here."

Seriously, they did Rian Johnson and Kelly Marie Tran wrong here.

And then they just leave certain things unresolved or unexplained. Like hey, Palpatine's back so just deal with it (and that's also annoying to me because I feel it cheapens Vader/Anakin's redemption from RotJ but whatever). They make a big deal about Finn never getting to tell Rey something for the first half of this movie then forget all about it. And now he's Force-sensitive?

It's not a bad movie, though. Like you said, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver (who I'm liking more and more as an actor with all I'm seeing him in) did amazing work throughout this trilogy. If the nostalgia's what you're looking for the two Abrams movies delivered it in spades. But I really feel we seriously could've had better.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 23, 2019, 07:56:12 AM
Quote from: Crewe on December 21, 2019, 02:34:22 PM

I guess
Spoiler
people benched about TLJ that you can't have a nobody utilize the force. Then RoS, why did she have to be a Palpatine, why couldn't she be a nobody? TLJ wasn't terrible, I just felt there were a couple of big direction and story execution fails.

Even better would have been if Disney hadn't shirt all over Lucas' treatment and completely disregarded his wishes moving forward.

Yeah, I can see that correlation between the two movies and how people felt about them. And absolutely, this movie kinda confirms to me a bit that they really didn't have a clear vision in place for this trilogy. Because I feel if they did...

Spoiler
They wouldn't have spent a good portion of this movie trying to course correct TLJ (which IMO it didn't need in the first place, the series needed bold strokes and Rian Johnson provided that). "Heh, we said Rey was a nobody? Haha, just kidding about that one." "Hi Rose, you played a pretty big role in TLJ so we're going to reward that by just making you an afterthought here."

Seriously, they did Rian Johnson and Kelly Marie Tran wrong here.

And then they just leave certain things unresolved or unexplained. Like hey, Palpatine's back so just deal with it (and that's also annoying to me because I feel it cheapens Vader/Anakin's redemption from RotJ but whatever). They make a big deal about Finn never getting to tell Rey something for the first half of this movie then forget all about it. And now he's Force-sensitive?

It's not a bad movie, though. Like you said, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver (who I'm liking more and more as an actor with all I'm seeing him in) did amazing work throughout this trilogy. If the nostalgia's what you're looking for the two Abrams movies delivered it in spades. But I really feel we seriously could've had better.

Spoiler

Thats what I mean, there's no tag team vision. I dont mind what Johnson was trying to do, its just the way he did it was fucked.
Now its like Johnson wanted Finn to love Rose and JJ wants him to love Rey. Did they not talk to each other, at all?
The Rose Finn thing in TLJ was pointless to me so I really had no problem erasing it here, at least the love interest portion.
Regarding Palpatine, a majority of people have a problem with that, I really dont. I mean, he's back and insinuated how he came back plus we learn more about the "life force" which we've never seen, so, Im ok with it. I guess I could I hate if I really wanted to. But if they brought him back now or during 8, would it matter? I can see how it would cheapen RotJ for some, but for me it doesn't because Vader did what he did and reconciled him with his son and redeemed his character. Palatine returning doesn't change that for me.
What Finn wanted to say to Rey? Yea, that was a red flag. I mean, how can that be a major component of a character and then just omitted? I dont get that at all. I keep thinking Im missing something there.

A note to add, the way Chewie reacted to Leia's demise was what I was looking for with Han but we never got it. And it still grinds my gears that in TFA, once Chewbacca returns, Leia just disses him an goes straight to Rey to console her about Solo being killed.

I thought both 8 and 9 could have been better, and like I said earlier, I wish Kasden had been in all three projects to help cohesiveness.
The trilogies for me are, OT, second ST and first ST.
I know Im alone on 9 but at least its over and we can all move on now.

I still wish they wouldn't have jettisoned all of Lucas' material for these three. That's what bothers me more than anything.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on December 23, 2019, 04:19:39 PM
I still wish they wouldn't have jettisoned all of Lucas' material for these three. That's what bothers me more than anything.

Lucas' material involved microscopic creatures living inside midichlorians that produced the Force. Some things ARE better left untouched, haha.

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on December 23, 2019, 05:03:57 PM
Quote from: Crewe on December 23, 2019, 04:19:39 PM

Lucas' material involved microscopic creatures living inside midichlorians that produced the Force. Some things ARE better left untouched, haha.

yea, with the journal of the whills and all that lol
Didnt say it all needed to be incorporated ;-)

TheNorm

Knives Out was really f'ing good, and if you like murder-mystery whodunits you really need to see this as soon as possible. Top notch acting from the start and it weaved a great story.

Crewe

I knew I would love that flick, plus...Jamie Lee Curtis  :D

BojackHorsefella

I've got a weekend ahead of me, fellas.

Got tickets for Friday for me, kiddo and the fiancee to all see Uncut Gems, can't wait, so freaking excited for this movie.

Saturday kiddo and I are seeing Rise of Skywalker in "Laser IMAX," whatever that is. I'm just hoping for a pretty picture on the screen.

And Sunday it's all 3 of us again for Little Women. I absolutely loved Lady Bird, and having this be directed and written by Greta Gerwig also, plus what is simply an incredible cast (seriously, LOOK AT THAT CAST), I can't miss this movie.

Crewe

Sounds fun!
Looking forward to hearing about em

Thought Id do a quick drive by without reviews:

Star Wars RoS - yes, have some
Doctor Sleep - if you hated or didnt get The Shining, then pass, everyone else, see it.
It - Im behind I know, but I liked it.
Mr Robot S4 - yes please, see em all
Jack Ryan S2 - again, have some
Dead to Me S1 - only one season thus far, I didnt know that or I would have waited. That said, Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini shine in this dark sometimes thrilling comedy.

I think thats all ive been up to lately...

BojackHorsefella

Uncut Gems

My new #1 movie of the year. We'll see if it's quickly supplanted by Little Women, but, I doubt it.

BojackHorsefella

Saw Star Wars today. It was fine. Honestly I felt bored, which was disappointing. It was very pretty but otherwise, meh.

Crewe

So I am the only one here that liked it ;-)