UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on July 10, 2020, 05:06:47 PM
Going through Deadwood again.
I know it has a huge fanbase, but I feel like it doesn't get the rep it deserves. It is one of my top three without question, bookended by Sopranos and the Wire.

I loved the show but I think the reason it doesn't get the props it should is its conclusion.  The movie the did recently to "wrap" things up did not help.  I at least was disappointed in it. 

Crewe

That may be true, but I always tell people before watching it to realize that it was cancelled right before season 3 aired, so it was in no way the fault of Milch. There wasn't even time to try to rewrite and shoot any scenes to "close out" the series.
Season three was setting up longer storylines which play as truncated and lazy now since the show was cancelled.
The movie had some fan service but I thought it was pretty good and wrapped up as best it could given the circumstances.

Crewe

edit to ask, where is Deadwood on your al time list, or is it even on there? Curious

Crewe

So I am knee deep in another re watch of The Wire.
Halfway through the series and it's just so good.

TheNorm

Been meaning to watch that again. Finally started S2 of Stranger Things, after finishing S1 last September lol
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

Finished the Netflix High Score limited series documentary yesterday. Pretty decent look into the history of video games, including an episode on fighting games (and the controversy on violence in them), the birth of RPGs, and the Nintendo v. Sega battle. Only six episodes and the longest episode may be 50 minutes. Worth checking out. 
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Rigg44

Started a rewatch of Hell on Wheels recently.  This show is one of my favorites in recent times.  The Swead is one of my favorite villains in recent memory.  I enjoyed how the show never or rarely rushed plot lines and let them develop over time. 

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on August 24, 2020, 11:02:29 AM
Finished the Netflix High Score limited series documentary yesterday. Pretty decent look into the history of video games, including an episode on fighting games (and the controversy on violence in them), the birth of RPGs, and the Nintendo v. Sega battle. Only six episodes and the longest episode may be 50 minutes. Worth checking out.

How did I not know about this? never mind, why am I not watching this? lol

TheNorm

Lol, I think it just landed on Netflix not even a week ago so that's probably why.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on August 06, 2020, 07:06:22 PM
edit to ask, where is Deadwood on your al time list, or is it even on there? Curious

For me, it doesn't crack the top ten for T.V. shows.

My top five shows in no order, would be

Breaking Bad

Hell on Wheels

Justified

Game of Thrones

Stranger Things/ Jack Ryan (really to soon to call on these since they are still in progress) 

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on August 26, 2020, 02:36:48 PM

Breaking Bad

Hell on Wheels

Justified

Game of Thrones

Stranger Things/ Jack Ryan (really to soon to call on these since they are still in progress)

Interesting. I can see how it's not for everyone, but for me, it's a staple in my top 3 of Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood.
Top 5? Depends on my mood, could be Mad Men, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire, Better Call Saul (depending on how it finishes out)
The Shield maybe....too tough, but my top 3 have been that way for years and I dont see it changing.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on August 26, 2020, 09:52:22 PM

Breaking Bad

Hell on Wheels

Justified

Game of Thrones

Interesting. I can see how it's not for everyone, but for me, it's a staple in my top 3 of Wire, Sopranos, Deadwood.
Top 5? Depends on my mood, could be Mad Men, Six Feet Under, Boardwalk Empire, Better Call Saul (depending on how it finishes out)
The Shield maybe....too tough, but my top 3 have been that way for years and I dont see it changing.

In all honesty my top 5 fluctuates depending on my mood as well.  To be accurate I would have to break it into categories: Comedy, Drama, SiFi etc.

Crewe

Quote from: Rigg44 on August 27, 2020, 11:34:27 AM
Quote from: Crewe on August 26, 2020, 09:52:22 PM

Breaking Bad

Hell on Wheels

Justified

Game of Thrones

In all honesty my top 5 fluctuates depending on my mood as well.  To be accurate I would have to break it into categories: Comedy, Drama, SiFi etc.

Me too, but then, so much more to choose from! lol

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on May 08, 2020, 12:35:39 AM
I bought Dog Day Afternoon today. Always worth a watch.

I think Upgrade is free on HBO Now. Fun little sci-fi movie from the director of the first Saw movie and The Guest.

Edit: Norm beat my reply by THAT much

I was scrolling back through...I missed this the first time. I absolutely love DDA.
I had a cousin of mine who for years didnt know that was based on a true story.
The real guy believe it or not, ended up getting off pretty easy.

I came here to type out a review for the Expanse but as I was, I had a moment of deja vu. Have I discussed this show already? If so, carry on, if not and interested, let me know lol

TheNorm

https://youtu.be/l--4gu4CQBM

I'm really really hoping they do this book justice.