News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crewe

I dont Hulu. I watched it on NF, or Prime maybe?

TheNorm

Quote from: Crewe on October 11, 2019, 05:00:17 PM

First three seasons are on Netflix, current episodes on Hulu for now...why don't you Hulu?
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on October 11, 2019, 08:44:10 PM
Quote from: Crewe on October 11, 2019, 05:00:17 PM

First three seasons are on Netflix, current episodes on Hulu for now...why don't you Hulu?

commercials.
I already have NF and prime. its pretty much all I need. Anything else I want, I can usually find ;-)

Crewe

Peaky Blinders

Its about UK gangsters in the 1920s.
I really enjoyed Boardwalk Empire which was AC in the 20's so this was same thing, but across the pond.
I say the same, but not literally, only in the gangster aspect.
In any event, 5 seasons, 6 eps a season. Im in S2 and really not overwhelmed. It's been in my queue because its highly rated b critics and audiences, but Im having a hard time becoming submerged.
Storytelling is a bit weak to me, just doesn't gel for me.
Anyone watch this? Like it? Hate it? What am I missing?

TheNorm

Haven't seen a single episode, but it's been on my list for years lol. If you know me then you know it's probably gonna get passed over like almost everything else on my list for a Parks & Rec/West Wing/Good Place rewatch 🤣
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

thats me too lol
Its been on my list for ev er!
Im just out of things to watch now....I guess I could growth Jack Ryan S2, forgot about that

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on December 14, 2019, 10:02:49 PM
Peaky Blinders

Its about UK gangsters in the 1920s.
I really enjoyed Boardwalk Empire which was AC in the 20's so this was same thing, but across the pond.
I say the same, but not literally, only in the gangster aspect.
In any event, 5 seasons, 6 eps a season. Im in S2 and really not overwhelmed. It's been in my queue because its highly rated b critics and audiences, but Im having a hard time becoming submerged.
Storytelling is a bit weak to me, just doesn't gel for me.
Anyone watch this? Like it? Hate it? What am I missing?

Not sure what it is but I have tried to start this series three or four times and never get through season one.  It just seems "shallow" for lack of a better word. I don't know if its the casting or the direction but something is just off and I never really become all that invested in it. 

Crewe

yea, Im the same in that it just doesn't grab me. Im going to try to get through S2 and see if anything changes.
There's some directorial issues for me, albeit minor, but still affects the story. And to me, this show seems like, one season, one problem. That's not always a bad thing, but in this case, like you say, it's just, off.

TheNorm

If you haven't seen the Eddie Murphy hosted SNL yet, you need to. Dude's still got it.

As for Bill Cosby's publicist (why does this sick bastard still have a publicist anyway, not like he's gonna be working anytime soon) getting mad about a joke Eddie made? Cosby hated on Eddie Murphy for ages, and Eddie handled it throughout with class. He got off easy. Fool needs to take a pill and maybe go to sleep over it.

BojackHorsefella

Anybody watching the new season of Mrs. Maisel? We're up to episode 4, as usual, it's been excellent so far.

Crewe

Quote from: TheNorm on December 23, 2019, 08:24:56 AM
If you haven't seen the Eddie Murphy hosted SNL yet, you need to. Dude's still got it.

As for Bill Cosby's publicist (why does this sick bastard still have a publicist anyway, not like he's gonna be working anytime soon) getting mad about a joke Eddie made? Cosby hated on Eddie Murphy for ages, and Eddie handled it throughout with class. He got off easy. Fool needs to take a pill and maybe go to sleep over it.

Ill defer to Richard Pryor who said tell Bill I said to have a Coke and a smile and shut the fuck up

Crewe

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on December 23, 2019, 01:59:38 PM
Anybody watching the new season of Mrs. Maisel? We're up to episode 4, as usual, it's been excellent so far.

Never heard of it. Do I need to be interested?
I just now fired up S4 of Mr. Robot which finally finished yesterday, been waiting over two years for this, and its a good example of why I dont like to watch shows as they air. Ive spent so much damn time rehashing the first three seasons because I can't remember fuck all about them.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on December 23, 2019, 04:00:08 PM

Never heard of it. Do I need to be interested?
I just now fired up S4 of Mr. Robot which finally finished yesterday, been waiting over two years for this, and its a good example of why I dont like to watch shows as they air. Ive spent so much damn time rehashing the first three seasons because I can't remember fuck all about them.

It's an Amazon original that has won multiple Emmys for its first 2 seasons (being a big competitor to Barry last year, if I recall correctly). It's written by the lady who did Gilmore Girls, which I never watched, but it's a highly enjoyable and funny show (Mrs Maisel).

Crewe

never saw Gilmore Girls and I dont know who this lady is but when Im done with Robot, maybe Ill check it out.
My queue is essentially empty. There's some in there Im just hesitant to get ack to, Narcos for one...

Crewe

So I was out of shows to watch and took your advice. I blew through Mrs. Maisel and enjoyed it pretty much
Spoiler
I thought the third season was quite a reach and didnt hold up to the first two. I seriously doubt people have such rapid fire witty conversations like that on such a consistent level, but it wasn't a big negative, however I thought Alex Borstein was increasingly over the top and Bailey De Young was too cartoonish to be taken serious.

All told, I really liked the main arcs and subject matter that was tackled, blending history with fiction seems to be an increasing theme in entertainment and I enjoy that trend when well done. Here, they obviously fidget with the Lenny Bruce timeline here, but again, not detrimental.
The era was fun to live in for a couple of season, and it was immersive enough to take seriously.

Thanks for the suggestion, not sure I would have given this a second look otherwise.