News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2019 Pro Football Thread

Started by rollntider, February 25, 2019, 10:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BojackHorsefella

Yeah, there's some douchey bits for sure (OLD SCHOOL FOOTBAW!!!!), but I'm a sucker for anything nostalgic. Seeing those old TV visuals and what-not only brings back pleasant memories of easy Sundays growing up.

TheNorm

https://twitter.com/hammerfox2/status/1193530876229046272

*sigh* At least the Lions have

*checks notes*

What the fork is a Jeff Driskel? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28058800/charles-rogers-former-lions-michigan-state-wr-dies-38

Liver failure and a cancer diagnosis, I can't even begin to imagine. Only 6 years older than me.

Crewe

"They had given him 30 days to live if he didn't get a liver transplant."

Jesus fuck how brutal.  :(
His family, I can't imagine....

Rigg44

That is to bad. No day is promised, so I hope he at least can get closure in his time that is left.  It is always tragic when someone so young leaves so early.

TheNorm

Was absolutely shocked when I read that yesterday morning...damn that kid could play. Easily one of the best talents to come out of this state. Damn shame those injuries as well as his own troubles derailed him. Curious how he could've turned out if he'd had a better support system. Granted, we all make our own choices and we've all got our own demons to deal with...but sometimes all it takes is more people to go to bat for you and nurture you instead of those taking what they can.

Simply tragic.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

TheNorm

I know you've all seen it by now...Myles Garrett deserves to be suspended for the rest of the season and maybe even part of next.

That being said, don't let his action distract from the fact that Mason Rudolph started all of it and is a straight up punk bitch.

Crewe

I didnt see the game, all I saw was from the tackle onward, about a hundred and seventy five thousand times in two and a half minutes of Sportscenter. Jesus those guys....

In any event, Garrett with a tackle on Rudolph after the ball was gone. Did Garrett know it was gone? Was the whistle blowing? I dont know the answer to either but what I see is Garrett wrapped up Rudolph and took him to the ground, Rudolph took exception and initially tried to push his head in to the ground, albeit quite briefly, then resorted to try to remove his helmet and Garrett reacted harshly.
To me, at this point, its just another skirmish in the NFL, no big deal. As they rise, Garrett is retaliating, tugging the facemark and helmet of Rudolph who no longer has any sort of upper hand in this face off, if he ever did, and his helmet is now in the possession of the Brown.
Another Steeler has been trying to remove Garrett from the scenario, as peacefully as one might in an NFL game during which time Rudolph is back up and charging Garrett (to retrieve his helmet say Steeler fans) who responds by throwing an overhand right with Rudolph's helmet, clocking him in the head.

I dont see how anyone but Garrett gets tagged with a suspension here. Yea, he got fired up and Rudolph was trying to remove his helmet, but aggressively tugging another players head around by the facemask was bit more than give and take. That said, if it ended there, id still probably not have a big problem with it. A fine maybe, and a flag would suffice I think.
But that overhead smash, man, thats inexcusable.
Both guys took exception and we can debate who started what all day, but I know we can all agree that haymaker deserves severe punishment.

BojackHorsefella

It feels like the closest thing to an NFL Bertuzzi incident since Gurode and Haynesworth.

Rigg44

Quote from: Crewe on November 15, 2019, 10:39:49 AM
I didnt see the game, all I saw was from the tackle onward, about a hundred and seventy five thousand times in two and a half minutes of Sportscenter. Jesus those guys....

In any event, Garrett with a tackle on Rudolph after the ball was gone. Did Garrett know it was gone? Was the whistle blowing? I dont know the answer to either but what I see is Garrett wrapped up Rudolph and took him to the ground, Rudolph took exception and initially tried to push his head in to the ground, albeit quite briefly, then resorted to try to remove his helmet and Garrett reacted harshly.
To me, at this point, its just another skirmish in the NFL, no big deal. As they rise, Garrett is retaliating, tugging the facemark and helmet of Rudolph who no longer has any sort of upper hand in this face off, if he ever did, and his helmet is now in the possession of the Brown.
Another Steeler has been trying to remove Garrett from the scenario, as peacefully as one might in an NFL game during which time Rudolph is back up and charging Garrett (to retrieve his helmet say Steeler fans) who responds by throwing an overhand right with Rudolph's helmet, clocking him in the head.

I don't see how anyone but Garrett gets tagged with a suspension here. Yea, he got fired up and Rudolph was trying to remove his helmet, but aggressively tugging another players head around by the facemask was bit more than give and take. That said, if it ended there, id still probably not have a big problem with it. A fine maybe, and a flag would suffice I think.
But that overhead smash, man, that's inexcusable.
Both guys took exception and we can debate who started what all day, but I know we can all agree that haymaker deserves severe punishment.

Agree 1000% I have heard analyst trying to split hairs but in the end once he decided to use the helmet as a weapon there should be no more discussion.  He should be out the rest of this season and part of next at least.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Rigg44 on November 15, 2019, 04:09:05 PM
Agree 1000% I have heard analyst trying to split hairs but in the end once he decided to use the helmet as a weapon there should be no more discussion. He should be out the rest of this season and part of next at least.

Well, he is out the rest of this season, including post-season (if Cleveland makes it). Agree with part of next too. I know he's apologized since, but there's simply no place for anything like what he did last night. This is the time the NFL absolutely needs to send a message.

Also, isn't it weird how many people have bent over backwards to defend Garrett? Like, why? How is this a freaking Rorschach test?

TheNorm

Haven't been online much today, but people have actually tried to defend Garrett? F that, dude deserves just about whatever he has coming.

Crewe

I saw Sportscenter when at the gym so thankfully I didnt have to listen to the audio, and also Skip Bayless was on so there's that too.
So I didnt hear any discussion but if anyone is defending that action, Id almost want to hear the mental gymnastics it....well, never mind, Im good.  :D

Quote from: TheNorm on November 15, 2019, 04:45:39 PM
Haven't been online much today, but people have actually tried to defend Garrett? F that, dude deserves just about whatever he has coming.

And then some.

TheNorm

Yes, we've reached that time once again...a tradition unlike any other.

https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/1200156765251223552

Fire everybody. Matt Patricia sucks. Bob Quinn sucks too (the NE template, fork right off).

Crewe

yea, things are pretty bad up there norm.
But to me, Houston and Dallas might as well be that bad. I mean, they are both in eternal purgatory that is mediocrity.
BoB keeps saying, that's on me, I've got to do better, but he never does, year after year. The Texans think, oh hey we won the shitty talentless South Division, so..Champions! And that getting to to the playoffs, or winning a WC game and getting blown out is an accomplishment.
Well, it is, IF YOU IMPROVE over the net, I dont know, 5 years? But it's the same shit, over and over and over.
Same with JG. Everyone hated him and were calling him to be fired after in season 2 or 3. I defended him. Let him have his influence in the draft, let him get his guys and build his team and execute his plan, then judge him.
Well, he's had that time and he's failed.