News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

Podcast Thread

Started by TheNorm, September 29, 2019, 07:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Started listening to a podcast called Business Wars simply because they're currently working on the WWF v. WCW stuff...pretty damn good so far.

Anyone else got podcasts they listen to? I typically don't but I've checked out You Can't Guard Me and Pod Save America.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

I haven't listened to a podcast, ever. Only a couple of weeks ago did I finally try an audio book. Its just not for me really.

BojackHorsefella

Kinda like Crewe, although I've been trying to find some I like. Fiancee listens to My Favorite Murder and "And Thats Why We Drink." MFM is good if you're into the true crime, murder type things, but it was better earlier on. The later episodes, as they get more famous, become extremely less focused and it's annoying. Thankfully ATWWD doesn't have that issue, and their gimmick is they do one true crime story and one supernatural story. Saw them live here in Seattle because she wanted to go, was a good time.

I was listening to QAnon Anonymous for a bit when I was busy watching those guys spin up, but since 8chan was taken down and thus no more Q, they seem to be less of a growing threat than they were and I fell out of interest. Still, if you're into, basically, at the end of the day, cults, it may be a fun listen to see how one starts and grows and captures people.

Now, I mostly listen to You Must Remember This, a podcast about old Hollywood. I was in the middle of it before taking a detour with QAA, it appears they've actually removed it from Google Play, which is odd, but left the 12 episode special on Charles Manson, which I just finished today and was incredible (it was this special they did on Manson that first got the podcast on my radar).

Otherwise, I have some I'm subscribed to but have only listened to once or twice. Write Along with David Chen and C Robert Cargill seems like one I'll definitely be listening to more as time goes on, but that's obviously a pretty specific topic.

99% Invisible is kind of cool, it seems like it started as a quick, almost PBS type thing as the earliest episodes are about 7 minutes long (and literally about a minute of that is an ad at the start), but it covers how little things came to be made, like revolving doors or mailbox flags.

The Next Picture Show is the writers from the defunct film site The Dissolve (one of the greatest film sites to ever exist, I miss it every day), discussing movies. They'll take a new release (say like, "Ready or Not") and compare it to a similar film (like "Clue"). If you're super into movies like I am, I can't see why it would disappoint.

And lastly is the History of English podcast. I've only listened to the first episode so far, but evolution of language is something I want to dabble in more, so I will be continuing (it was a pretty neat listen, but I find niche subjects interesting often).

Crewe

Now, I mostly listen to You Must Remember This, a podcast about old Hollywood. I was in the middle of it before taking a detour with QAA, it appears they've actually removed it from Google Play, which is odd, but left the 12 episode special on Charles Manson, which I just finished today and was incredible (it was this special they did on Manson that first got the podcast on my radar)

Where do I find this?

BojackHorsefella

Stitcher, Podcast Addict, iTunes or Google Podcasts

Crewe

Crewe

but left the 12 episode special on Charles Manson

hey dude, thanks for this, Im in the middle of part 2 of 3 (I assume this contains all 12 episodes you refer to)

Crewe

Thanks again for that Manson podcast, just finished it today and it was quite interesting.
As one who is interested in all things Manson, cult or serial killer, I really enjoyed this project and learned some things I did not know and received more information about what I did know.

Crewe

I was browsing You Must Remember This and saw a cast on Bugsy Siegel so loving all things mob, I tuned in.
No big reveals here but one thing bothered me. Karina seems so well researched in her programs, I cannot figure out why she refers to Meyer Lansky as a mob boss. Even a cursory search will tell you otherwise. Perhaps she meant it in a fashion Im overlooking.
Still, good stuff.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: Crewe on February 02, 2020, 05:50:00 PM
Thanks again for that Manson podcast, just finished it today and it was quite interesting.
As one who is interested in all things Manson, cult or serial killer, I really enjoyed this project and learned some things I did not know and received more information about what I did know.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I've dumped some of the podcasts I had listed above, haha. I enjoyed the new season of You Must Remember This, which was entirely about Disney's Song of the South. Very enlightening. Mostly now though, I just listen to Next Picture Show. I love the hosts so much, I often find myself laughing out loud at the puns and jokes though, it's like hanging out with a group of friends I've never actually met.

I've been talking to one of my friends back in SC about doing a podcast after my wedding, when I can afford to buy the necessary equipment for it, haha. I'd call it "What Did We Miss," and it'd basically be going back to films I, well, missed, from the past, and watching them (and films he missed too). Would be a cool dynamic, I imagine sometimes neither of us will have seen the movie of choice, sometimes one of us may have, so it could be neat.

Then I thought, haha, that every podcast has Patreon rewards once they're big enough, so I figure'd we could do like, "What Did You Miss," which would be special episodes for new releases. Then maybe some other special episodes for like, our favorite "cult" films, like After Hours or Street Trash (for the horror folk), amongst other ideas.

Knowing me, no project ever actually gets off the ground, and lord knows I don't know the first thing about finding a place to host a podcast or a domain or whatever is needed, but hey, they have books at libraries and book stores to learn those types of things, right?

Crewe

Im sure there are YouTube videos about it lol
Ive thought of starting a podcast or YouTube channel many times over, but like you, it's in the to do bin, forever

Crewe

A right wing family member wanted to start a podcast and call it "you're left, Im right" lol

Crewe

Now Im on to her Marilyn Monroe series...

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: TheNorm on September 29, 2019, 07:38:40 PM
Started listening to a podcast called Business Wars simply because they're currently working on the WWF v. WCW stuff...pretty damn good so far.

Checked this out, although listened to their 6-part series about Sony vs Nintendo. Thanks for the recommendation, really enjoyed it. I'll have to check out some more of the episodes, that WWF WCW one is probably fantastic I'm sure.

TheNorm

Quote from: BojackHorsefella on February 19, 2020, 01:57:17 PM
Quote from: TheNorm on September 29, 2019, 07:38:40 PM

Checked this out, although listened to their 6-part series about Sony vs Nintendo. Thanks for the recommendation, really enjoyed it. I'll have to check out some more of the episodes, that WWF WCW one is probably fantastic I'm sure.

Been meaning to check that one next, but just haven't gotten to it...maybe on my next drive home. Glad you enjoyed it!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr