News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

The TV thread

Started by rollntider, May 28, 2014, 01:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

Some awesome new things popping up on Netflix and Amazon Prime video the last few weeks.

Masters of None with Aziz Ansari: watched the first two episodes so far and really enjoyed it. Mild NSFW trailer - language.

Marvel's Jessica Jones just dropped on Netflix this past Friday...really need to getting around to watching this one, trailers have looked amazing.

While I've never read the book, Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle was turned into a series by Amazon that also just premiered this last Friday. First episode was great, and can't wait to have time to watch a little bit more.

"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Jessica Jones
Krysten Ritter

Ritter does a good job and the MU was integrated fairly well, but the storytelling/directing left me wanting and wondering too often.
However, it almost seems forgivable due to Ritter's performance which was solid all the way through, not stellar, but good.
Overall, I feel sorta meh afterwards; not like it was a waste of time, but moreso wondering if I want to see what's next.
i probably will, but I'm not truly excited about it.
3.25/5

Crewe

Better Call Saul

An easy 10 episode season watch for the Breaking Bad prequel.
Can I spoil a prequel since you already know...?
Nevermind, Ill avoid potentials. Obviously this is a ride to find out how Saul arrived in BB and let me say the ride is entertaining. The interesting thing is, there is a timeline here so Im not sure how they will compact or expand the story as it relates to the number of seasons for Saul.
That said, its a good story, well told with some obvious foreshadowing, simply by virtue of being a prequel
but it still captures mystery and edginess.
Makes me want to go right into BB now...

4.25/5

Crewe

Mr. Robot

Norm, I feel as though I must apologize. In another thread some time ago, I was all caught up on my watches and asked for suggestions. You brought up a couple of shows on USA and I scoffed, mumbling something about that network just making cartoony hour long sitcoms.
Not so. I happened upon this series and was immediately enthralled and engulfed in this cyber thriller series.
Its unlike any hacker fest ive seen, in that they keep hacks reasonable and relatable, not a lot of techno babble or inventive fictional scenarios.
Christian Slater and Rami Malek are superb throughout. Some of the support is a toych weak, but such an envigorating, deep story covers those flaws.
Its also unique in that it breaches the 4th wall, but not in the style of House of Cards...I cant elaborate, but youll see.
After the seeing the debut season, I did a quick read about the inception and turns out tjis was initially scripted as a film but was scrapped for tv because there as simply too much of a story to cram into 2 hours. The season finale represents the end of act one in the film.
I coyld say much more about the concept but it would involve spoilers.
Check this out.

4.5 / 5

TheNorm

Dammit, I've been meaning to watch that one but got so busy this summer I just lost track of it. Gonna need to catch up because I've heard that show was incredible. Thanks for the heads up!
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

Crewe

Yea, Id A list that one

Crewe

30 for 30
Fantastic Lies

You should know by now that I seethe with serious hostility when the Duke Lacrosse case is mentioned. Part of me didn't want to watch this but the part of me that wanted to won out.
Bottom line, watch it.
Media. Good lord the media. They are inching so close to politicians in a battle for the the lowest in decaying behavior.
Im not alone when I speak about my severe disdain about the so called journalists in this country. Barely a shred of integrity and especially objectiveness exist in this shithole we call America and this case magnifies how it has negative consequences of monumental proportions and yet it continues to spew whatever agenda is put forth to be most beneficial to them or that of their puppeteer.
No one held responsible, no one is sorry, certainly not that twat Nancy Grace. Well, wait, one reporter in the show did offer a printed apology, granted, maybe there were others, but if so, they were of such small consequence, no one noticed. Retractions sure weren't worthy of year long coverage.
And then there's Nifong, who luxuriates in retirement. Oh sure, he's disbarred, but so what? Yea he has lawsuits against him but so what? he's protected by bankruptcy. And don't you think its ironic that this self righteous, ego maniacal common criminal, who attempted to mete out punishment to so called elitist white well to do criminals who hid behind wealth and class, is doing that very thing?
He spent one day in jail.
One fucking day.
God Bless America.

/rant

rollntider

This season of House of cards has improved. Although it will be hard to capture that 1st season success, its still better than the last season. So if you like me did not like season 3, season 4 is better.

TheNorm

I didn't think Walking Dead could botch the intro of a new character like Negan, but they did it with that cliffhanger. What a bunch of crap...all the emotional build up and they do that. Lame...

Crewe

I agree about HOC.
Spoiler
Although, why must every single political show have the cliche assassination?
I get why they did it, to strengthen Claire, but still
Spacey and Wright are simply, money.
Underwood is the white collar Tony Soprano. He's a bad guy but he is so charismatic and good at what he does, we root for his success and demise at the same time.

rollntider

Walking dead

Spoiler
Agree, we could have seen who was beaten. Also being the apocalypse, no way they are that organized.

TheNorm

Quote from: rollntider on April 04, 2016, 10:52:22 PM
Walking dead

Spoiler
Agree, we could have seen who was beaten. Also being the apocalypse, no way they are that organized.

I'll agree with the first part of that statement. A brand new show pulling that off, I don't have much of a problem with. An established show like TWD that uses the gimmick on a regular basis, to me that's just lazy. Read somewhere that even the actors don't know who died yet, which just leads me to believe that even the writers aren't sure who they want to off yet...make a damn decision already.

As far as post-apocalypse organization, I disagree. If you figure that the series is probably at least 1-2 years post outbreak, I can see groups of survivors being organized in small communities at that point.

rollntider

Quote from: TheNorm on April 05, 2016, 12:22:11 PM

I'll agree with the first part of that statement. A brand new show pulling that off, I don't have much of a problem with. An established show like TWD that uses the gimmick on a regular basis, to me that's just lazy. Read somewhere that even the actors don't know who died yet, which just leads me to believe that even the writers aren't sure who they want to off yet...make a damn decision already.

As far as post-apocalypse organization, I disagree. If you figure that the series is probably at least 1-2 years post outbreak, I can see groups of survivors being organized in small communities at that point.
[/quote]

I could see that, but they are too organized.

also
Spoiler
a few plot holes or Issues I do have with the story so far.

#1 Abraham is former military, Eugune is former genious nerd, neither could figure out a plan to scout ahead and keep from getting caught?
#2 Daryl ran off hot headed and got them caught. He has been doing this how long now?
#3 Abraham can't drive a stick?
#4 your doctor is out on scavenge missions? Why not let her satisfy her need to get out on a smaller closer to home mission?
#5 eugene is going to make bullets? OK they are not picking up their brass casing, and where will they get the other supplies? Making lead is the least of the problems with that. Consult a gun nut first :)

Crewe

Making a Murderer

I resisted watching this show because I knew it would raise my ire and that I had to be in a mood to even take it in.
Well, it did, I was and I did.
Story revolves around Steven Avery, a redneck in rural Wisconsin who was imprisoned for a sexual assault and exonerated some 18 years later.
He then is arrested for the murder of a woman all the while proclaiming his innocence yet again.

The series begins with his release after 18 years and then we are dealt his backstory in smaller doses while examine the evidence and laying groundwork for the upcoming scenario.
By then, you are up to episode four or so and the rest of the ten deal with the murder trial and related investigations.
This crime doc is really well put together, amazingly so in fact, at least for me.
Three things were at the forefront of my mind after this and one was, what amazing patience, tenacity and focus these filmmakers possessed. Somehow, they were able to obtain access to the Avery family throughout this ordeal and were able to capture emotion of events as they transpired as well as working with official footage from the courts and police and other legal endeavors, weaving it in and out of the storyline to give the viewer a clearer picture.
Ill reserve other impressions due to spoilers, however, I can tell you one of the other three things in my mind not only after this, but before and during.
Don't
talk
to
the
cops!
EVER!

That, was beyond infuriating in this series, but maybe thats just me. And Ill add, just for my own reasons, I don't mean if you get pulled over, yea sure, where you going? Home. Where were you? Work, and on and on. I think most of us rationally sane folks could detect when to shut up if we visualized a My Cousin Vinny situation brewing, but if you are being interrogated, at home, street, wherever...shut the fuck up!
This is not a cop hating thing, even cops tell you, don't talk to the cops.
/soapbox

So yea, give it a look. Put together seamlessly, pacing is slower, more methodical at times, mainly due to the nature of the topic, and admittedly, that could be because, if you are like me, I want to blow through to the end as you see, Im the hipster binge watcher and was one long before there was a term to coin this type of event  ;-)
Watch it examine our justice system and scrutinize for your self and then come back here and talk to me because I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Spoiler

Anyone who ever followed pro wrestling, or is familiar with Hitchcock could've seen the outcome, because it is entertainment, after all.  Nonetheless, absolutely fascinating story about our justice system

Rigg44

didn't i see in the news that guy was just released or is being granted a new trial?