News:

UFL Schedule comes out 2-5-2024

Main Menu

2018 Pro Football Thread

Started by TheNorm, March 10, 2018, 10:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheNorm

When I'd read that the Seahawks cut All-Pro CB Richard Sherman on Friday, I had this hope/dream that the Lions would pull the trigger and sign him right away, because I would've bought that jersey as soon as it was f'ing available...that lasted 24 hours, and I should've known he'd sign with a rival of the team that released him. Damn.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22711835/free-agent-cb-richard-sherman-agrees-deal-san-francisco-49ers
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

thaima1shu

Legit sad that Sherm had to get cut. He's forever going to be an icon and was one of the OG's that made this run possible. It's going to suck to play him twice a year and see him in that Niner uniform.

BojackHorsefella

Quote from: thaima1shu on March 12, 2018, 12:38:05 PM
Legit sad that Sherm had to get cut. He's forever going to be an icon and was one of the OG's that made this run possible. It's going to suck to play him twice a year and see him in that Niner uniform.

Just don't be one of those guys burning jerseys.

Although, I must say, it's been fun watching people here react, since no one in SC cared about pro football.

Crewe

Its interesting that these big time FA's go to rivals. You know they just want to stick to their old team

BojackHorsefella

In Sherman's case, absolutely.

In other cases, I think sometimes it's just to get insight. The Patriots LOVE to take other team's players because A) somehow they're able to get more out of them (Welker, Moss, Corey Dillon, etc etc etc I hate the Pats) and B) I have no doubt that Belichick quizzes the hell out of them in regards to what their team does on that player's side of the ball (i.e. the James Harrison signing that the Jaguars made moot by knocking Pitt out of the playoffs).

Granted, the 49ers are definitely interested in B, but I think Sherman was looking to stay in the NFC West to stick it to the Hawks.

thaima1shu

Quote from: Bucfever on March 12, 2018, 01:26:29 PM
Just don't be one of those guys burning jerseys.

Although, I must say, it's been fun watching people here react, since no one in SC cared about pro football.

There's only a few idiots who do things like that, and for the most part those are the ones that will stop caring about the team when they aren't winning. They're a small minority who get way more attention than they deserve.

Crewe

Only time I remotely considered it was when Norton left the Cowboys for the 49ers

BojackHorsefella

https://deadspin.com/cowboys-cut-dez-bryant-who-threatens-to-join-nfc-east-1825243493

Bye bye, Dez.

This is surprising, but I guess, yeah, he was 30 with a history of injuries, but still. Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson? Who are those guys?

Honestly, would love for him to come to the Jets, but it looks like he wants to go to an NFC East team. Him and Alshon Jeffrey would be BEASTS together on Philly.

Crewe

this was a good move for the team. Dez was costing too much money and while seriously talented, they can get younger and cheaper without losing too much at the position. injuries are more likely with Dez now plus he's 30. he will be a great find for some team who's willing to pay so I see this as a win/win, if you dont count all the hurt feelings.

TheNorm

Good lord the Raiders were stupid for letting Khalil Mack go. I don't want to see the Lions play the Bears this year anymore.

That being said, hell of a comeback by the Pack and A-A-Ron Rodgers.
"But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity." - Martin Luther King, Jr

BojackHorsefella

I'm curious to see just how badly the Jets get beat tonight and how many interceptions Darnold will inevitably toss.

TheNorm

Quote from: Bucfever on September 10, 2018, 01:38:25 PM
I'm curious to see just how badly the Jets get beat tonight and how many interceptions Darnold will inevitably toss.

They're playing the Lions, can't imagine it would be by much. Wouldn't even surprise me if the Jets pull it off.

BojackHorsefella

I...don't know why this is happening.

Is it a Patricia thing? Is he just doing what all NE coordinators do, just quicker? Are the Jets this good? (I refuse to believe it). Could the Lions be this bad?

TheNorm

The Jets could be better than you think, but I'm not sure. The Lions are pretty damn bad at the moment, and they shouldn't be with the amount of talent they have (seriously...this isn't a 2008 0-16 squad here, they've got some talent). I expected a loss, I really did...but I didn't expect that.

This could have something to do with it.

https://twitter.com/DanWetzel/status/1039351099721957376?s=20

TheNorm

Will today be the day the woeful Browns notch their first win since December 2016??? Up on the Saints in the 4th...